San Diego Clippers

fishheatcats

First thing is obviously the move back to San Diego. They are never going to compete with the Lakers in L.A., so why bother? Second is updating their awful logo from the last 25 years. I'd bet a good chunk of basketball fans don't even know what a clipper is(sailboat if you don't know), so I figured it should be represented in some way. When the team was in San Diego briefly the logo before their current one had sails in it, but wasn't that great. Here's what I have come up with. C&C.

clippersunisxk1.gif

EDIT: Changed numbers to a more traditional style.

The logo is nice. Simplistic, but very well thought out. The Interlocking SD is nice, too.

Something irks me about the number font. I think it comes off looking wide and stringy to me, but that may be just me.

I think it's a solid concept and would definitely work with an NBA team. Nice work!

philly.png

I have to say, this isn't all that bad, kinda nice, actually. Although the colors, coupled with the sailboat, is a little "Old Spice"-ish, but nonetheless, a nice overall idea. Colors combo, while seperately are used by numerous teams throughout the league, together are unique to the NBA (at this point in time anyway). And a sailboat of some sort is definately needed in their logo, so as to rid themselves of the Lakers-Logo-Look-a-Like they currently use.

Many props, good sir, on a job well done.

Something irks me about the number font. I think it comes off looking wide and stringy to me, but that may be just me.

It's not just you, Brain ? I had the same reaction. Especially on the baby blues with the white numbers, both the names and numbers get a bit lost.

I'd suggest going with something a little taller and bolder for the number font, and stick to one of the standard varsity block fonts for the names.

I dig the striping pattern, though, but I'd like to see a side view. Is the color going down the side (i.e. the red on the white jersey) a block of colour, or just piping? I could also do without the interlocking SD at the base of the collar. You have the sailboat logo on the back and the SD on the shorts, so it seems like just a bit of overkill to me.

Nice job, though. Keep it up.

I dig the striping pattern, though, but I'd like to see a side view. Is the color going down the side (i.e. the red on the white jersey) a block of colour, or just piping?

The red would be a wide(maybe 1"?) stripe down the side, with the light blue being piping.

Definitely an upgrade from what they've got right now. Love the ship logo and interlocking SD...nothing but praise for you on this. Great job.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

You know what I love best about this concept... the fact that it looks like it could've been around since the last time the Clippers were in San Diego, yet still looks modern enough to hang today.

I wish the Clippers would move back to San Diego even though it won't happen without a new arena. But I never understood why the Clippers would rather piggyback at the Staples Center when the Pond doesn't have a hoops tennant. It's not like they could draw any worse in Anaheim.

I like the logo, as well as the uniforms. I love how you incorporated the interlocking SD. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think any team in the NBA currently has an interlocking logo. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but great design.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

I like the sailboat logo, very cool. I used to have no clue on what a clipper is and this logo will help alot.

Change your font size.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Definitely an upgrade from what they've got right now. Love the ship logo and interlocking SD...nothing but praise for you on this. Great job.

Almost anything would be an improvement over what they have now. Their jerseys look like high school jerseys and their logo is a Lakers ripoff.

I'm feeling the overall vibe of this. I like the switch to carolina blue. Even though blue is the most overused color in the league, it lends itself nicely to the whole sea-experience and Clipper vibe, I'm on board (pun not intended). The logo is a good start... simplistic is fine, but I think it needs to have some more "umph" - what exactly that is, unfortunately, I don't know. Maybe a more clearly defined ship (not uber detailed... keep the simplistic vibe, but jazz it up a little bit more instead of just flat geometric shapes representing the generic look of a ship). The interlocking SD is a nice idea, and I'd really love it if you kept it on the sail, but the font is awful (as it is for the numbers and wordmark). It just doesn't fit into the whole concept at all. Not even close. Maybe find something a little less stiff and generic. I'd go for a sort of freer-flowing, breezier font (might I dare suggest playing with the current Clippers word mark? It does have an easy-going feel about it, but it's also a bit uninspired... maybe it's worth toying with). Once that's accomplished, format the SD on the logo to fit the curvature of the sail so it looks less pasted-on and more a part of the sail itself. Maybe do a mock-up tertiary logo to use on the back of the jerseys instead of the primary? People have done anchors and steering wheels among others, and they're sometimes stronger than the primary mark. I'd look to those for inspiration and see what comes of it.

As for the jerseys, don't touch them. I like the simplicity... very fitting and actually rather unique in a league where so many teams are starting to look more and more identical. (Okay, maybe just one suggestion - try adding a single-colored collar to each jersey. Maybe it's just me, but jerseys without even a slight piping to the collar just looks unfinished). Keep at it!

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived