Players in the "wrong" uniforms

• 3 weeks later...

I randomly thought about this today...you could put a lot of teams that Rickey Henderson played for in this topic (Red Sox, Mariners, Angels) but the one that my mind still tries to comprehend is when he closed out his MLB career with the Dodgers:
spacer.png
He almost got to play for every team in the Golden State (he never played for the Giants).

rAUPGPZ.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, dont care said:

Who? But for real, for these guys that aren’t all-pro future hall of famers a name needs to be added to the picture so everyone knows who these people are. Most athletes aren’t identifiable by just their face.

And then ask if it's a serious question when people don't guess which person it is out of a picture of 8 people

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

On 9/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, BBTV said:

If this injury ends his career, just shut the thread down because you may never be able to top that one.  At least he'll have gone out wearing another relatively-classy uniform and not one of their regular ones.

Isn't there being 1 sleeve stripe instead of 2 and the number font being very slightly different the only differences between the two? I don't see how you can look at that and call it classy and then look at their regular whites and act like they're garbage. They're extremely similar.

• Huh? 1

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

Isn't there being 1 sleeve stripe instead of 2 and the number font being very slightly different the only differences between the two? I don't see how you can look at that and call it classy and then look at their regular whites and act like they're garbage. They're extremely similar.

The Jets' regular uniforms are not "extremely similar" to their throwbacks! The current uniform is the worst one in their history, while the throwback uniform is the best one.  

The current uniform's flaws are numerous and serious. First, the current helmet logo is absolutely nothing. It has none of the personality of the (admittedly flawed) one that it replaced, the original logo that was brought back in the late 1990s. And it has none of the style of the throwback helmet logo, the wordmark with the jet tail.

Second, the current uniform includes both a black jersey and black pants. Completely inappropriate.

Third, the "New York" on the front of the jersey is comical. It shouldn't be there at all; but, if it's going to be there, it should be about a quarter of the size.

Finally, the swooshes that come in from the sleeve are not sleeve stripes. They're trash derived from that Denver Broncos uniform that was the superspreader event for bad design.

If you want a uniform that is similar to this:

Richard-Todd.png

...then you would have to cite this:

Ken-O-Brien.png

...with the black outline on the numbers, the stripes, and the helmet logo, and the use of green pants with the white jersey.  That's a significant downgrade from the team's best look, but it is definitely similar.

Whereas, the current look is nowhere near the best look.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Jets' regular uniforms are not "extremely similar" to their throwbacks! The current uniform is the worst one in their history, while the throwback uniform is the best one.  

The current uniform's flaws are numerous and serious. First, the current helmet logo is absolutely nothing. It has none of the personality of the (admittedly flawed) one that it replaced, the original logo that was brought back in the late 1990s. And it has none of the style of the throwback helmet logo, the wordmark with the jet tail.

Second, the current uniform includes both a black jersey and black pants. Completely inappropriate.

Third, the "New York" on the front of the jersey is comical. It shouldn't be there at all; but, if it's going to be there, it should be about a quarter of the size.

Finally, the swooshes that come in from the sleeve are not sleeve stripes. They're trash derived from that Denver Broncos uniform that was the superspreader event for bad design.

If you want a uniform that is similar to this:

Richard-Todd.png

...then you would have to cite this:

Ken-O-Brien.png

...with the black outline on the numbers, the stripes, and the helmet logo, and the use of green pants with the white jersey.  That's a significant downgrade from the team's best look, but it is definitely similar.

Whereas, the current look is nowhere near the best look.

I'm just comparing the white on white sets, as that's what they were wearing. The black pants and jersey are both horrendous but aren't an apples to apples comparison with their throwback white on white set. 

The uniforms aren't exacty the same, but changing the wordmark font on the helmet and the one chest/sleeve stripe doesn't constitute enough of a change to consider one to be "classics" and one to be awful. You can like one more than the other, but a casual fan probably doesn't even notice when they wear the throwbacks.

Personally, I like the new ones more (only considering the white on white sets). The number font and the striping pattern is more unique (it doesn't look anything like Denver) and the helmet color / finish is beautiful. But they're a modern interpretation of the throwbacks. I'm not gonna pretend a few small changes make the old one garbage.

• Dislike 1

• 4 weeks later...

Probably already in the thread, but here's one (and it's also a player looking like he's playing the wrong position!)

s-l1200.webp

And also, here's the Refrigerator:

philadelphia-eagles-vs-phoenix-cardinals

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Posting current players in this thread has always baffled me. Especially if the player just joined their new teams (*cough* CMC & Mayfield *cough*).

On 12/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, Cujo said:

0cde658e2086283fd188be5e4d732c53

I don't think there's any doubt that San Francisco is McCaffery's "right" uniform now.  At this point, if anyone even remembers where he came from, it's clearly his "wrong" uniform.  Like Barry Bonds in a Pirates uniform, or Drew Breese in a Chargers one.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don't think there's any doubt that San Francisco is McCaffery's "right" uniform now.  At this point, if anyone even remembers where he came from, it's clearly his "wrong" uniform.  Like Barry Bonds in a Pirates uniform, or Drew Breese in a Chargers one.

As a Panthers fan, McCaffrey just never really fit in here. Like yeah, he was a great player but he kind of straddled distinct eras for the team which didn't help him, was almost exclusively on bad teams which didn't help him, and in the last 3 seasons he was here almost never played, which really didn't help him.

I think most Panthers fans have practically forgotten he was here already in a way that will take much, much longer for players like Kuechly, Davis, Olsen, Cam, etc.

It is pretty funny though how his injury issues have magically been cured now that he's gone.

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

It is pretty funny though how his injury issues have magically been cured now that he's gone.

It's because the Panthers ran him into the ground as their only offensive weapon. The Niners use him more like a traditional RB, they have other guys that can shoulder the load.

44 minutes ago, ruttep said:

It's because the Panthers ran him into the ground as their only offensive weapon. The Niners use him more like a traditional RB, they have other guys that can shoulder the load.

The problem with this theory is that he has played 24 games for the Niners in the 1.5 seasons since the trade as compared to only 16 in the 2.5 seasons with the Panthers prior. I don't care how much you get the ball, your body is taking more of a beating playing every week than being on the sideline 75% of the time.

If you wanted to argue that it was all a cumulative effect from his 2019 year, that would make more sense although it wouldn't explain why this magically went away with the 49ers.

Honestly, I think the reason is simple. Players are more likely to play through an injury or discomfort if their team is in contention. The Panthers never were, so the slightest thing put him on the sideline repeatedly. The 49ers are in contention, so he's most likely playing through similar things.

Also, the 49ers use him a ton too. Much more than most teams use their RB.

40 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

The problem with this theory is that he has played 24 games for the Niners in the 1.5 seasons since the trade as compared to only 16 in the 2.5 seasons with the Panthers prior. I don't care how much you get the ball, your body is taking more of a beating playing every week than being on the sideline 75% of the time.

If you wanted to argue that it was all a cumulative effect from his 2019 year, that would make more sense although it wouldn't explain why this magically went away with the 49ers.

Honestly, I think the reason is simple. Players are more likely to play through an injury or discomfort if their team is in contention. The Panthers never were, so the slightest thing put him on the sideline repeatedly. The 49ers are in contention, so he's most likely playing through similar things.

Also, the 49ers use him a ton too. Much more than most teams use their RB.

You do have a point -- a lot of it could simply be morale. He seems to love it in San Francisco, he's fit perfectly in our offense. And he's somewhere where his contributions are meaningful -- he's on a legit Super Bowl contender, rather than a team gunning for first overall in the draft.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...