Players in the "wrong" uniforms

8 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

Both are his true jersey. Super Bowls and MVPs not taken into account, he had 18 retired by both teams. If your number is retired by that ream that's the right uniform.

Is the Miami Heat Michael Jordan's right uniform?

Is the Colorado Rockies Dale Murphy's right uniform?

I don't necessarily disagree with Manning having two right jerseys - I think it's certainly arguable, and sorta in the same category as Roy Hallady.  But the rationale of number retirement is faulty.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Rockies haven't retired Dale Murphy's jersey. Get out with that 😅

oops - I could have sworn they did since he was the first big-name player that suited up for them, even though it was only for a handful of games. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think there are some cases where a guy having a short stint with a team but winning a ring and having a memorable moment or run with them would make it not really a wrong uniform. A few examples

Kawhi Leonard with Raptors 

Jack Morris with Twins

Bill Walton with Celtics

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chrispw12 said:

I think there are some cases where a guy having a short stint with a team but winning a ring and having a memorable moment or run with them would make it not really a wrong uniform. A few examples

Kawhi Leonard with Raptors 

Jack Morris with Twins

Bill Walton with Celtics

As mentioned earlier, Paul Molitor with the Blue Jays.

The most extreme case of this is Mike Torrez. The Yankee uniform is the right one for him, on account of his indispensable contribution to that historic championship, which culminated with his being on the mound for the end of the World Series and actually catching the final out. It is Torrez's right uniform despite the fact that the Yankees are the team with which he played the fewest games.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

As mentioned earlier, Paul Molitor with the Blue Jays.

The most extreme case of this is Mike Torrez. The Yankee uniform is the right one for him, on account of his indispensable contribution to that historic championship, which culminated with his being on the mound for the end of the World Series and actually catching the final out. It is Torrez's right uniform despite the fact that the Yankees are the team with which he played the fewest games.

Speaking of Blue Jays, how about Rickey Henderson? It always has seemed weird to me that he won a ring with them. 

On 3/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, MCM0313 said:

Speaking of Blue Jays, how about Rickey Henderson? It always has seemed weird to me that he won a ring with them. 

In a similar vein, I find fascinating that, in a 19-year career, Don Baylor's only World Series ring came in 1987, when he had only 14 hits in 20 games for the Twins. (Five of those hits came in the World Series, including a home run.)

And for the sake of this thread, I'd say this is definitely him in the "wrong" uniform, despite the piece of trivia  shared above. :)

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

And for the sake of this thread, I'd say this is definitely him in the "wrong" uniform, despite the piece of trivia  shared above. :)

spacer.png

And also the wrong number. He looks wrong in anything other than number 25. 

Baylor would go on to wear another non-25 number the following year when he joined the A's, as that was Mark McGwire's number.

6fa63a1254a041457b2b08c16f8bb369.jpg

The odd thing is that one of the few other times that Baylor did not wear number 25 was during his previous stint with the A's in 1976. At that time, the number was the property of pitcher Paul Lindblad.

BAYLOR4.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And also the wrong number. He looks wrong in anything other than number 25. 

Baylor would go on to wear another non-25 number the following year when he joined the A's, as that was Mark McGwire's number.

6fa63a1254a041457b2b08c16f8bb369.jpg

The odd thing is that one of the few other times that Baylor did not wear number 25 was during his previous stint with the A's in 1976. At that time, the number was the property of pitcher Paul Lindblad.

BAYLOR4.jpg

The real question is who let their grandpa on the field to play catcher?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

The real question is who let their grandpa on the field to play catcher?

That's Brian Downing, who had a rather hip/mod look for the day.

$_1.JPG

Downing is best known for being thrown out at the plate by Dave Parker in the 1979 All-Star Game.

(Parker made a brilliant throw; but I love Garagiola's priorities in describing the play!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's Brian Downing, who had a rather hip/mod look for the day.

$_1.JPG

Downing is best known for being thrown out at the plate by Dave Parker in the 1979 All-Star Game.

(Parker made a brilliant throw; but I love Garagiola's priorities in describing the play!)

He’s at most 27 in that picture? He could pass for a 60 year old there. People really aged differently 40+ years ago

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

1287940256.jpeg

Just because someone changes teams doesn’t make it their wrong uniform. Until Watson wins a few Pro Bowls and leads Cleveland to the AFC Championship, Houston will be his right uniform.

• Like 1

Why?  He's wasn't arrested and isn't at risk of doing any jail time.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks to the low rate of convictions  of those crimes, he’s considered guilty by many. He’s in a similar boat to the one R Kelly was for about 20 years.

doesn’t negate my point 

• Like 1