Favorite sports moment of all time

Spezza19

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll answer for everyone:

When my (school/home team) won it's biggest (game/series) ever.

(I think we have this somewhere)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As a spectator:

Game 7, 1979 World Series.

As a participant:

Spring 1995, when my softball team won its first of what (so far) has been eight Raleigh city league titles.

In any other capacity:

My flag football league's championship game, Grand Bowl XII, just under 3 weeks ago. A 43-42 final, with the outcome decided (1) by a touchdown as regulation time expired to tie it, followed by (2) a "Longest Yard"-like extra point conversion for the win.

nav-logo.png

As a spectator/fan - Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy holding up the Super Bowl trophy after beating the Bears. Alexander Ovechkin scoring "the goal" from his back against the Coyotes. And finally, Joe Carter hitting the game and series winning HR off of Mitch Williams in the 93 Series (he was my favorite player as a kid, my grandparents worked with his mom and brother in OKC).

As a participant - My first goal in hockey and my first two-goal game.

Not favorite for obvious reasons, but most memorable...

6 cars taking the start of the USGP in Indy in 2005 due to a tire dispute. It was my first time getting to go to the USGP since I had left for the military in late 03. I watch a Ferrari battle, with 4 other cars parading around.

Stars-NorthStarsJerseys.png

Superbowl XXXI. I was in sixth grade, and after the Packers won, my friend and I ran around the block in the snow with our shirts off. Also, our teacher was a Bears fan (and a cocky one at that) which made it extra sweet.

Badgers vs Gophers in the Metrodome (I think it was in 04). The Badgers blocked a punt and recovered it in the endzone to win. I was sitting in the Minnesota student section with my friend...thank God they handed out inflatable Paul Bunyan axes that day. I took an inflatable beating, but it was worth it.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

The final home run at Tiger Stadium was a thing of beauty. Robert Fick hit a grand slam in the bottom of the eighth on September 27, 1999 to put the Tigers ahead for good, and to retire the old ballpark in style. I have never seen or felt a crowd erupt like it did that day. I remain a Fick fan to this very day because of that memory.

Being born in 1990 I can't remember the Super Bowls, so no Bills or Orioles moments in this.

I was so happy when Pominville scored. They beat the #1 seed rival and were heading to the Conference Finals.

150883-51239.jpg

I really only got into College Basketball in 2003, but any time a team from aound here wins it is big and I was excited.

theblock_animated.gif

saBS.png

The Cubs sweeping atlanta in 2003, the Bears 2001 season, Pacers beating the Knicks in 1999 to go to the title game vs. Lakers, Kerry Wood 20 strikeout game in 98, Cubs vs. Yankees in 2003 where Clemens is denied 300th win.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I guess as a fan by best moment was the Cards winning the World Series in 06. It was a friday night and I was in St. Louis playing a football game, so I was pissed I didn't get to watch the game. When our game was over a teammate brought a radio to the locker room and me and him got dressed outside listening to the game. The Cards won when we where on the bus coming back home. The bus erupted.

As a participant was when our football team blocked a FG that would have tied the game at the last second. The game was the semi-final against Rockhurst, who beat us earlier in the year. I remember when we game in for halftime some fan above us was saying: "WTF is a kewpie?" When we came back after we won I remember saying: "You know what a kewpie is? A Champion!" When we got back in the locker room the whole team was going ape wild and chanting "We're goin' to the Dome!" Easily one of the greatest feelings in my life.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

As a spectator - 2006 Men's Ice Hockey Championship...I have never heard the Bradley Center that loud. I got on TV twice, and stayed late with hundreds of fans to celebrate with the Badgers, I got to touch the trophy and Brian Elliot gave me his stick, freakin awesome.

As a fan - Superbowl XXXI going to downtown Milwaukee with my dad and celebrating in the streets

As a player - Beating Shattuck St. Mary's at North Dakota University's Ralph Engelstad Arena when I played for Wisconsin AAA...several of their players were committed to North Dakota, and we got booed entering the ice, SSM was ranked #1 in the Nation, like always. At the end of regulation it was 1-1, shots on goal were 67-8...yeah I had 66 saves. In the shootout I faced Johnathon Toew's little brother, who I believe committed to North Dakota, and Brock Montpetit who is committed to Wisconsin as we won 2-0 in the 3 man shootout.

brewerssig.jpg

Wasn't around for it, but seen many replays - Barry Breen's wobbly behind in the dying stages of the 1966 Grand Final.

Rmered will have many moments from Essendon flags, I'm sure.

The 1999 Cricket World Cup Semi Final where Australia and South Africa were tied with one ball to go, South Africa needed one run to go through, a tie meant Australia went through to the final. McGrath bowled it, the batsman hit it no where but one batsman ran, the other didnt, knock off the bails and we win.

The 1999 Netball World Champs final, with 30 seconds to go, scores where tied, New Zealand had a shot and missed, Australia went up to the other end and scored just as the siren went when the ball passed through the net.

And Stephen Bradbury's gold at Salt Lake City Winter Olympics

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Tied-1) Italy Wins World Cup in 2006

Just now I realize that this might actually be my favorite sports moment. I had lots of my Italian family over and my great aunts, my mom, and my aunt cooked some good Italian food. This might be my favorite moment because like I said I had so much family over and the fact that the shutout was so nerve racking. Plus this game was immortalized in so many hilarious internet .gifs :D

Tied-1) 2003 Devils Stanley Cup Championship

2) 2000 Devils Stanley Cup

One fun game to watch on tv was the Oklahoma/Boise State game from last year. Man was that crazy.

No question -- the Miracle on Ice.

Nothing comes close to it. Nothing captured people like that did.

The Twins' 1987 World Series championship is up there. So is their 1991 title. So is my hometown high school finally making the state Class B boys basketball tournament in 1977 and '78. But nothing comes close to the Miracle on Ice. I don't think anything will. That was beyond special.

Archived