St. John's Red Storm

rob66

So St. John's University has been using a new logo now for about a year. The logo was designed by Nike and is complete crap. Has anybody seen any of the other proposed logos that were designed to replace the old logo? I hear there were about 20 others.

rob66.png

So St. John's University has been using a new logo now for about a year. The logo was designed by Nike and is complete crap. Has anybody seen any of the other proposed logos that were designed to replace the old logo? I hear there were about 20 others.

In all fairness, it's 100x better than the stupid logo that preceeded it:

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

I love that logo.

bSLCtu2.png

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

I love that logo.

I like the shorts that went with it, with the NY skyline. Very nice.

I am not a fan of this one -

StJ.gif

I loved the Horse with the lightning bolt - that was a good logo for St. John's.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

I love that logo.

I like the shorts that went with it, with the NY skyline. Very nice.

I have that SI issue with Felipe Lopez jumping over the skyline - and yeah, the unis are best left dead and buried in the mid-90s, along with Lopez' hoop career.

Frankly, SJU should be everything about the Louie era - even the old nickname (but I won't get into that here). The new change is a nice homage to the classic St John's, not the horrid Brian Mahoney, city skyline on shorts, era that died as quickly as it began - or the repulsive Nike Jordan era under Jarvis.

But, I guess the youngsters like the Red Storm logo for whatever reason. Most oldtimers don't, simply because it's a tacked on piece of 90s-era overdone garbage, a rushed botch job because the school had to change its identity and change it fast...

To me, the joined STJ logo is as classic as the STL for the Cards, or even the interlocking NY for the Yanks.

StJ.gif
To me, the joined STJ logo is as classic as the STL for the Cards, or even the interlocking NY for the Yanks.

Assuming this is the one you're talking about, I'm not sure how you can call it "classic." It has only existed for about 2 years.

That being said, it is definitely better than the previous one. However, I think the idea might work better with a narrower font -- particularly if a "classic" look was what they were going for. The current font makes the logo look like it has existed for about 2 years.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I like the ST.J logo they had before they change their logo to the classic look. I call it the "Jodan Font" cause they had that lettering when they started wearing uniforms made by the Jordan brand.

I like where this is going, the new logo sucks newstj.jpg

This logo is so much better stjinter.gif

As far as all those skyline logos, they are all very late 80's early 90's, and the horse although I think is bad ass, has nothing to do with a "red storm"

I wouldn't mind an abbreviated logo but anything but this new one.

Apparently they had to change the logo because of some lawsuit with St. Joseph's University and the whole SJU abbreviation. St. John's is now STJ, even though they are still abbreivated as SJU on many things. I read that Nike came up with that corny ass logo on top, but there were several other prototypes. I would love to see these other prototypes because that new logo is absolutely miserable looking and looks like it took about a minute to come up with. I'm sorry but I expected at least a little bit better from Nike.

rob66.png

StJ.gif

Assuming this is the one you're talking about, I'm not sure how you can call it "classic." It has only existed for about 2 years.

That being said, it is definitely better than the previous one. However, I think the idea might work better with a narrower font -- particularly if a "classic" look was what they were going for. The current font makes the logo look like it has existed for about 2 years.

A joined STJ, in differing incarnations, has existed a helluva lot longer than two years.

I like where this is going, the new logo sucks newstj.jpg

This logo is so much better stjinter.gif

As far as all those skyline logos, they are all very late 80's early 90's, and the horse although I think is bad ass, has nothing to do with a "red storm"

I wouldn't mind an abbreviated logo but anything but this new one.

Apparently they had to change the logo because of some lawsuit with St. Joseph's University and the whole SJU abbreviation. St. John's is now STJ, even though they are still abbreivated as SJU on many things. I read that Nike came up with that corny ass logo on top, but there were several other prototypes. I would love to see these other prototypes because that new logo is absolutely miserable looking and looks like it took about a minute to come up with. I'm sorry but I expected at least a little bit better from Nike.

I'll agree with this, the logo linked is much better.

That interlocking StJ definitely has the classic look. It's much superior to the other St. John's logos.

By the way, why is St. John's called the Red Storm? I know they were called the Redmen before, but if they were going to switch names, why not switch to something more Catholic or more New York than Red Storm?

That interlocking StJ definitely has the classic look. It's much superior to the other St. John's logos.

By the way, why is St. John's called the Red Storm? I know they were called the Redmen before, but if they were going to switch names, why not switch to something more Catholic or more New York than Red Storm?

ST JOHNS' SAINTS

ST JOHNS' RED

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

At least that logo has to do with weather

St-Johns-Red-Storm.gif

At least that logo has to do with weather

Cause when you think of St Johns University in NY, you instantly think of weather. :D

It was just a cheap ploy at being trendy (albeit for the time) - keeping the "RED" but going for something ominous-sounding.

Unfortunately, it's aged about as well as your average mid-90s compound nickname. They might as well just have went the whole nine yards and gone with "RED STORMZZ".

You know what'd be awesome?

If somebody actually posted their current logo... <_<

w5es5wqj3tr7rtv7hrge.gif

The STJ vertical block lettering styled one is the current one, the one you just posted is the wordmark from the basketball uni's from 2 seasons ago. (old)

rob66.png

Archived