Nitpickers Lovers Question

goforbroke

So many helmet logos are simply reversed from one side to the other (Broncos, Patriots, etc.)

While others are not reversed, usually ones with text in them (Jets, Giants, Packers, etc)

As far as I know, the Chiefs logo is a 1/2-1/2 flip: The arrowhead is reversed to point foward while the text remains the same.

The Ravens seem to be the team with the biggest switch, as the Ravens head is flipped to face foward and the B is not, creating two pretty different looking logos.

The only other team that I can think of that may pull off this 1/2-1/2 switch is the Dolphins. The "M" on the helmet of the Dolphin logo is not symetrical (especially the old logo). So my nitpickers question is this- Do the dolphins simply flip the whole logo either, which would essentially make the "M" backwords, or do they keep the "M" facing the right way.

Also, are there other teams I'm missing that have two different logos on either side of the helmet (Aside from the Steelers and Browns)

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So many helmet logos are simply reversed from one side to the other (Broncos, Patriots, etc.)

While others are not reversed, usually ones with text in them (Jets, Giants, Packers, etc)

As far as I know, the Chiefs logo is a 1/2-1/2 flip: The arrowhead is reversed to point foward while the text remains the same.

The Ravens seem to be the team with the biggest switch, as the Ravens head is flipped to face foward and the B is not, creating two pretty different looking logos.

The only other team that I can think of that may pull off this 1/2-1/2 switch is the Dolphins. The "M" on the helmet of the Dolphin logo is not symetrical (especially the old logo). So my nitpickers question is this- Do the dolphins simply flip the whole logo either, which would essentially make the "M" backwords, or do they keep the "M" facing the right way.

Also, are there other teams I'm missing that have two different logos on either side of the helmet (Aside from the Steelers and Browns)

Here's Miami:

MiamiDolphins_HelmetCompare.gif

Looks like they just flipped the logo.

I'll look around and see if I can find any others.

I hate the Ravens' helmets for this exact reason. One of the logos is significantly inferior.

Agreed. The left-facing logo is much worse than the other one. The B is forced into the bird head even though it really doesn't fit there. The backward slant of the B just looks extremely awkward.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I hate the Ravens' helmets for this exact reason. One of the logos is significantly inferior.

Edit: Pics, for anyone who hasn't noticed this before.

RavensHelmet.jpgRid1AFS-Bal.gif

I actually think that's pretty cool, I like that they went the extra length to do that instead of just keeping the head the same and having it face backwards on the left side, which always looks bad.

Good spot on the Dolphins too.

A couple other teams I can think of are the Texans, I believe they swap the logo which changes it significantly, and the Falcons, which is an odd case because they do flip it, so on one side the falcon logo doesn't create the "F" effect.

Edit: Pics, for anyone who hasn't noticed this before.

RavensHelmet.jpgRid1AFS-Bal.gif

I actually think that's pretty cool, I like that they went the extra length to do that instead of just keeping the head the same and having it face backwards on the left side, which always looks bad.

Man oh man, that's a terrible logo. The regular one is bad enough, but when you have the angle of the B facing the wrong way it's a real mess.

Most straight flips look fine, but there's something about the backwards Texans logo that just doesn't look right to me.

Houston-Texans-Helmet.jpg

I think it's just that you always see the logo facing towards the right, and when you see it facing the left it looks weird cause you never see it that way.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Most straight flips look fine, but there's something about the backwards Texans logo that just doesn't look right to me.

Houston-Texans-Helmet.jpg

I think it's just that you always see the logo facing towards the right, and when you see it facing the left it looks weird cause you never see it that way.

I think it's more than just that - graphics with a really heavy "lean" look great when you're "reading" them left to right. They flow better that way. When you're looking at them backwards, and the graphic flows against the way in which we are accustomed to read, they just look off.

I don't think that's the cause of it. Like I said, most other teams don't give me that weird feeling. For example, the Seahawks' logo always faces right in print and television graphics, but it looks fine on either side of the helmet.

I wonder if my brain expects the white star on blue background to be on the left side, like the Texas flag.

texas-flag.jpg

Edit: Or, you know, what Gothamite said.

Here's the Ravens' helmet again...using the official graphics:

BaltimoreRavens_HelmetCompare.gif

First of all it's just a crappy logo, flipped it's even worse. I love everything about the Ravens identity except for that logo. They need a desperate overhaul.

First, I will preface this by saying "I should've known I wasn't the only one who was bothered by this." I hate it when logos are inverted like this, because it takes away from the effect of the logo (Like someone said, it makes the Falcons "F" look like a weird ass logo, it makes the Texans bull logo look like someone hung up the Texas flag the wrong way, and it makes the Ravens logo look like...that.

But then again, if they did away with it, then we'd have nothing but a league of teams with Steelers-style helmets. How boring would that be?

You needn't do that, just design logos that look good on both sides of a helmet.

The Chiefs' logo works either way. The design is that strong. Even though the Texans' helmet doesn't look quite as good, it still works somehow.

The problem is that some of the more modern designs are strong enough to work on both sides of the helmet, like the Ravens. That's just poor design.

You needn't do that, just design logos that look good on both sides of a helmet.

The Chiefs' logo works either way. The design is that strong. Even though the Texans' helmet doesn't look quite as good, it still works somehow.

The problem is that some of the more modern designs are strong enough to work on both sides of the helmet, like the Ravens. That's just poor design.

I was just about to type the same thing, cheers to Gothamite for saying it first. You'd think that would be more of a consideration going into the design of a football team's logo package. Personally, I like it when either the team's logo is symmetrical and looks good either way: Cowboys, Saints, Chargers or looks okay flipped: Chiefs oh I can I put Oakland and New England in that same boat?

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

First of all it's just a crappy logo, flipped it's even worse. I love everything about the Ravens identity except for that logo. They need a desperate overhaul.

Once upon a time, I would have agreed 100%. The main version (i.e., the right-facing version) has grown on me somewhat, so I won't go so far as saying it's "crappy." However, it is still far and away the worst part of otherwise really nice set.

That being said, they don't need a "desperate" overhaul. They just need to start using the secondary logo in my signature as the primary/helmet logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That being said, they don't need a "desperate" overhaul. They just need to start using the secondary logo in my signature as the primary/helmet logo.

What logo is that?

(I turned off sigs YEARS ago, and refuse to turn them back on!)

Archived