Nitpickers Lovers Question

goforbroke

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any one of those would represent a clear upgrade.

What he said.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Here's the Ravens' helmet again...using the official graphics:

BaltimoreRavens_HelmetCompare.gif

First of all it's just a crappy logo, flipped it's even worse. I love everything about the Ravens identity except for that logo. They need a desperate overhaul.

Ravens have one of the best color sets in the league, but worst logo. Any way you flip it, the logo looks forced and amaturish.

I can't help but think that just the removal of the B would help that raven head out tremendously. Maybe add some additional detailing if it really looks like a big blank spot... but I think removing the B would be an upgrade in and of itself.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I took the liberty of creating several mockups of different ravens helmets. I added more purple to the wings on the "spread raven" logo.

ravenshelmets.png

I actually really like the shield but it may look too Raideresque.

Maybe the shield... and the wings!

They haven't done THAT before!

:P

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

You needn't do that, just design logos that look good on both sides of a helmet.

Or you need a different approach than slap-our-logo-on-the-helmet. Like the Vikings or the Eagles. Or you need a willingness to embrace asymmetry or to leave the sides of the helmet bare and work with the middle. Like the Steelers or the Browns. I know I'd be a lot less hostile to the Redskins if they just brought back their old feather-up-the-middle helmet designs, just because so few teams do the decorate-the-middle-of-the-helmet-not-the-sides thing.

I think the real problem here is not so much badly designed logos -- not to deny that the logos in question are badly designed for uniform use! -- but rather an approach to branding that says that you create one logo and use it everywhere. Many of the best sports team uniforms work precisely because they use uniform-specific logo elements instead of the team's official corporate-entity logo. I mean, just imagine the Yankees deciding that their caps and jerseys had to incorporate only elements from their bat-and-cap team logo, not uniform-specific interlocking NY logos. That would suck, but that's essentially the choice NFL teams make as a matter of course these days. And that decision is not about design, it's about branding strategy, a decision over which the poor designers have no control.

(That said, of course NFL logo designers need to take into account the reality that they have to work as universal team logos for print, broadcast, and helmet display.)

20082614447.png

Interesting thought.

There are some logos that can be used across the board for everything - the Packers', Jets' and 49ers' ovals, Colts' horseshoe, Raiders' shield, to pull some examples.

The NFL is also in the unique position of using graphics of the helmets themselves as secondary logos (can you imagine a newspaper article using baseball caps to represent teams?).

I took the liberty of creating several mockups of different ravens helmets. I added more purple to the wings on the "spread raven" logo.

ravenshelmets.png

I actually really like the shield but it may look too Raideresque.

Can someone tell me why in the hell they don't use the second example in the above image? The swooping Raven would be a BILLION times better than anything they have now or had before. To relate my post to the topic....it would work nicely in solving the problem of having the logo flipped in the other side of the helmet. IT would work perfectly. IF they want to put a 'B' in the swooping logo, they can have the bird carrying the 'B' in it's claws or something to that nature.

It frustrates me how obvious this seems, yet they STILL have the crap they have now. Why? WHYYYYY?! :wacko:

Don't know. When I heard that the team had to change its logo, I immediately thought of the full-bird. They already own it, it's an established part of their identity, and it's beautiful.

Hadn't thought about him carrying a "B", but that could work. I'd even maybe make it a football (I really miss the old Eagles logo) with a "B" emblazoned on the ball.

Don't know. When I heard that the team had to change its logo, I immediately thought of the full-bird. They already own it, it's an established part of their identity, and it's beautiful.

Hadn't thought about him carrying a "B", but that could work. I'd even maybe make it a football (I really miss the old Eagles logo) with a "B" emblazoned on the ball.

Now THAT would be nice.

I just heard that the ownership was pretty emphatic about the logo having a large 'B' in it somewhere, hence the suggestion....but to be quite honest, the football would work better.

IF they want to put a 'B' in the swooping logo, they can have the bird carrying the 'B' in it's claws or something to that nature.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you have in mind, it would still bear at least a passing resemblance to this:

RavensdrawingBouchat.jpg

If you recall, the Ravens used the swooping bird logo on their sleeves until 1999 (I think). I still like that better on the sleeves than the shield, which used to be on the pants.

Slightly off topic, but at the risk of opening a new can of worms, I've always thought the shield logo is awfully similar to this:

msppatch.jpg

EDIT: Post No. 3400. I need to find better ways to spend my time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived