OSU, LSU to wear home uniforms

LEWJ

COLUMBUS (AP) ? Both Ohio State and LSU will wear their preferred home uniforms when they square off on Jan. 7 in the Bowl Championship Series national title game.

As the higher-ranked team in the game at the Louisiana Superdome, No. 1 Ohio State (11-1) got first choice in selecting its jersey color. The Buckeyes opted for their usual home color of scarlet. They will wear gray pants, the school confirmed in an e-mail today. With Ohio State picking the dark jersey color, the Tigers (11-2) were permitted to go with their traditional white home jerseys in the game.

The Buckeyes wore white jerseys a year ago when they were beaten 41-14 by Florida in the BCS championship game in Glendale, Ariz.

LSU has worn white jerseys in seven consecutive bowl games, including all three of its Sugar Bowl appearances this decade. The last time LSU wore a color other than white in a bowl game came in 2000 when the purple-clad Tigers posted a 28-14 win over Georgia Tech in the Peach Bowl.

When I was watching the news, I heard this, and I was like, "Wow, Purple vs. Scarlet that's gonna be a beautiful game :blink: " then I realized they wear white at home :rolleyes: (duh).

Thought I'd share

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

LSU will never wear purple in any game of huge magnitude...ever.

It wasn't their choice. If Ohio State chose to wear white, LSU would have to wear purple in the National Championship, a game of 'huge magnitude.'

The only reason they didn't choose to wear white is because they got smothered last year in the National Championship, wearing their whites. Otherwise, I think they would've chosen to wear their whites, so that, like BigBen said, LSU would be forced to wear purple.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I can't stand when teams wear yellow helmets and pants with white jerseys. I hate it when the Packers do it and I can't stand it when LSU does it. It just accentuates the yellow way too much. I wish LSU would just drop the whole 'white jersey all of the time thing' and wear purple. Whats wrong with purple? They look great in that color and its the perfect compliment to the yellow present in the helmets and pants.

I'm sure the scarlett will help you guys win...you'll at least be in for a good time here....

I like the LSU white at home. I do wish they would pdate the uni's with the official font on the helmet, trim for the numerals and white and purple pants..but the traditionalits down here won't have it.

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

I can't stand when teams wear yellow helmets and pants with white jerseys. I hate it when the Packers do it and I can't stand it when LSU does it. It just accentuates the yellow way too much. I wish LSU would just drop the whole 'white jersey all of the time thing' and wear purple. Whats wrong with purple? They look great in that color and its the perfect compliment to the yellow present in the helmets and pants.

Well, here's the reasoning for the white and gold, straight from a New Orleans Times-Picayune article from today:

"..When Dietzel, now 83, led LSU to its first football national championship in 1958, it was the first season the Tigers wore white jerseys for each home game. Dietzel fooled with many combinations of uniforms before the 1958 season but stuck with the white top, gold helmets and gold pants after his team won the title that season.

"When you have success with something, you have a tendency to want to keep it," Dietzel said.

The Tigers have, for the most part, stayed true to the jerseys Dietzel made famous, wearing the white tops both at home and on the road. Nearly 50 years later, LSU players want to carry on the tradition Dietzel started while welcoming a bit of championship luck from their revered white uniforms.

"The white is something that's traditional, and we're used to wearing it, and it's a comfort level," LSU wide receiver Jared Mitchell said. "As a team, we don't think about it too much. I've heard a lot how the older people don't really like when we change it up.....

....But the NCAA passed a rule in 1982 that home teams must wear dark uniforms. For the next 12 seasons, LSU wore purple at home. The Tigers made just five bowl appearances, winning only once in those five tries.....When Gerry DiNardo was hired in 1995, he successfully petitioned the American Football Coaches Association rules committee to allow LSU to wear white jerseys at home."

full article: Dressed for Success

It is what it is.

Archived