Tampa Bay Rayonaise

NDwas

I could see it now......

"Introducing.....Kraft Rayo! It's mayo with a twist! And an R!"

Good grief, it's like Kraft sent in a concept that got accepted. I can't believe how similar that is.

I believe you forgot to hit the sarcastic button.

The ys look similar, but with this comparison, you've laid a "mayon-egg."

[Red Stripe commercial] Boo, crappy puns....Hooray, beer! [/Red Stripe commercial]

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Imagine if Bob Kraft owned the team.

By the way, no, the wordmarks aren't extremely close, but close enough. I love it. (But I hate mayo.)

Close enough for what, to prove that they both use serif fonts?

Elements in common: Use of light blue, medium blue in overall color scheme. Use of yellow somewhere in color scheme. Use of serif font. Serif shapes.

Elements not in common: How the light blue is used. How the yellow is used. Actual letter forms, shape, and weight. Use of gradients/shading. Use of red. Use and coloring of negative-space elements. Formatting of outlines. Sense of "layering" of elements.

Which is to say, there's really not much to the comparison. Except maybe this: Kraft mayo is to the rest of the white-condiment shelf as the Rays are to the rest of the AL East.

20082614447.png

I saw this at the supermarket this afternoon. Made me think.

ndwasMOBILE0091.jpgqiru2jftx1a378eq8ad0s4ik4.gif

Oh man, that's hilarious!

I don't see that much of a similarity.

Our forum's version of the Matt Damon doll from Team America?

The original post never said they were exactly alike, or that the freaking serifs and shadows were OMGLOLCOPIES!1! He said it reminded him of the Rays wordmark. And it's certainly similar enough to do that. Some of you are ridiculous.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Imagine if Bob Kraft owned the team.

By the way, no, the wordmarks aren't extremely close, but close enough. I love it. (But I hate mayo.)

Close enough for what, to prove that they both use serif fonts?

Elements in common: Use of light blue, medium blue in overall color scheme. Use of yellow somewhere in color scheme. Use of serif font. Serif shapes.

Elements not in common: How the light blue is used. How the yellow is used. Actual letter forms, shape, and weight. Use of gradients/shading. Use of red. Use and coloring of negative-space elements. Formatting of outlines. Sense of "layering" of elements.

Which is to say, there's really not much to the comparison. Except maybe this: Kraft mayo is to the rest of the white-condiment shelf as the Rays are to the rest of the AL East.

Jesus. I like to analyze things as much as the next guy (in great detail I might add) but you have to be able to differentiate situations in which somebody is actually comparing two items based on visual similarity from those in which they're just trying to make a point. The point here not being, 'Do you think the guy who designed the Rays' identity copped the logotype directly from the Kraft Mayo jar?' but rather, 'The Rays' new identity sucks; it doesn't look like a sports logo. It looks like any old supermarket label. Look at this Kraft Mayo jar to see my point.' EDIT: Thank you, lucky, for reinforcing the idea behind my post.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived