Oakland A's 2008 Black Alt

oakland ehs

So I recalled rumblings last year about the A's getting a black alt for this season (shudder) and I got curious about it, as much as I don't look forward to them having it. I haven't heard anything about it since, so I made a post on an A's fan site, to which someone replied with something they found on eBay...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Oakland-As-2008-Black-Jersey-Athletics-56-IR_W0QQitemZ150206054614QQihZ005QQcategoryZ24905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie

Item

asblack.jpg

Not impressed at all... but the real point of this thread is, how does something like this get to eBay even before it gets to any fans, or even any hype in the media.

It sounds like its from someone who runs a store or something, claiming its an irregular jersey so he's just selling it on ebay... whatever, but stores don't get jerseys THIS early.

Any idea what gives, or think its a fake? If I knew this is what they were going to wear, and if it wasn't 3 sizes too big, I'd put a bid in for that price, even if I don't like it that much.

Edited the link.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am actually thinking that is a BP jersey of some kind, the tag on the lower right looks like the one that's printed on my BP from the 2004 MLB ASG.

The tag sure looks like it (is a BP tag)...but the jersey doesn't (look like a BP one)...

I'd be wary...just sayin...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That IS the A's 2008 black alternate. The tagging looks odd because it's a cool base model. When the gamers become available in 2009, I'll be buying one. I think it's a pretty sweet looking jersey, although I'd have gone gold/green/white, rather than white/green/gold. BTW, your link isn't working. Do you have the item # for the jersey? What size and price?

edited the link.

this is better than the old black alts... BUT I HATE BLACK ON TEAMS THAT DON'T USE IT OR NEED IT. ugh, it's so pointless. besides the fact that i love the green alt, and the alternate craze in baseball is getting a little too out of control (I wish it was white, grey, and a team color alternate that cannot be worn more than once per series, at home only)

there will be a new hat though. and that is just the coolbase tag on the bottom as opposed to a regular authentic tag. i found my size on there, so if the seller will ship to the great white north then i'll probably end up getting it if the price is right.

this is better than the old black alts... BUT I HATE BLACK ON TEAMS THAT DON'T USE IT OR NEED IT. ugh, it's so pointless. besides the fact that i love the green alt ...

Exactly. What could possibly have been said at the meeting that greenlighted this alternate?

Exec 1: Say, now that Tampa Bay has gone to all-blue, we're the only big-league team wearing green.

Exec 2: Hmm. You're right. We own green now.

Exec 1: Green means A's, baby.

Exec 2: Hey, you know what would be like totally outside the box?

Exec 1: No, man, but I'm totally excited. Hit me.

Exec 2: Right. Now that we're the only team with green, we turn around and make a new alternate jersey.

Exec 1: All green?

Exec 2: No, that would be inside the box. I'm talking step out of the box, get out a knife, cut the box up, pile the scraps, and light them on fire. I'm talking ... a black jersey.

Exec 1: Black jersey? You mean like we used to have, with the green script?

Exec 2: You are so all about the box. No, we go one step further: we get rid of the green entirely. No green. White lettering. Yellow outline. Maybe a thin green outline somewhere, just because, but it'll look black.

Exec 1: But doesn't like practically every team wear black these days? Even teams without black in their colors? Like, you know, us?

Exec 2: That's why this is outside the box!

Exec 1: No, that's just getting inside another box. Someone else's box. Pittsburgh's box, actually, since it'll just look like black and yellow. Pittsburgh sucks. Nobody wants their stuff. Why should we look like that?

Exec 2: But that just means there's a market opening for us to sell Pittsburgh-colored uniforms.

Exec 1: That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Hey, Stan? Stan, come over here and look at this.

Stan: Yeah?

Exec 2: Tell me what you think. It's a black alternate.

Stan: Cool. I like black. Black is popular with the kids, too. It's an urban color. I read that in Details once.

Exec 2: Right on. Thanks. See? That's how we show the world that we own green in baseball. Black.

Exec 1: Sigh. Black.

In other words, this may be the single worst jersey any big-league baseball team has ever considered wearing.

And I'm not sure I'm willing to call this an "alternate." When you decide to wear a shirt primarily composed of a color combination that's not your team colors, or in any way related to your regular uniform, that's not an alternate. That's just some other team's uniform that you happen to be wearing.

20082614447.png

That is the new 2008 A's alternate (there is a new cap to match, as well). The ones I have seen on eBay have all been irregulars (the material is snagged). From what I have seen from the Phillies and Royals unveilings, it looks as though the new alternate jerseys are going to be CoolBase only. I'm not sure about the Blue Jays' throwback.

P.S. The seller is legit. He specializes in seconds and overstocks.

this is better than the old black alts... BUT I HATE BLACK ON TEAMS THAT DON'T USE IT OR NEED IT. ugh, it's so pointless. besides the fact that i love the green alt ...

Exactly. What could possibly have been said at the meeting that greenlighted this alternate?

Exec 1: Say, now that Tampa Bay has gone to all-blue, we're the only big-league team wearing green.

Exec 2: Right. Now that we're the only team with green, we turn around and make a new alternate jersey.

Exec 2: No, that would be inside the box. I'm talking step out of the box, get out a knife, cut the box up, pile the scraps, and light them on fire. I'm talking ... a black jersey.

Exec 2: You are so all about the box. No, we go one step further: we get rid of the green entirely. No green. White lettering. Yellow outline. Maybe a thin green outline somewhere, just because, but it'll look black.

Exec 1: But doesn't like practically every team wear black these days? Even teams without black in their colors? Like, you know, us?

Exec 1: No, that's just getting inside another box. Someone else's box. Pittsburgh's box, actually, since it'll just look like black and yellow. Pittsburgh sucks. Nobody wants their stuff. Why should we look like that?

Exec 2: But that just means there's a market opening for us to sell Pittsburgh-colored uniforms.

Exec 1: That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Hey, Stan? Stan, come over here and look at this.

Stan: Cool. I like black. Black is popular with the kids, too. It's an urban color. I read that in Details once.

Exec 2: Right on. Thanks. See? That's how we show the world that we own green in baseball. Black.

In other words, this may be the single worst jersey any big-league baseball team has ever considered wearing.

And I'm not sure I'm willing to call this an "alternate." When you decide to wear a shirt primarily composed of a color combination that's not your team colors, or in any way related to your regular uniform, that's not an alternate. That's just some other team's uniform that you happen to be wearing.

Dude! That was great! That could even pass as a Saturday Night Live skit - it's brilliant!

You're absolutely right though. The A's should never even consider black on anything.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I believe it to be 100% Authentic based solely on who the seller is, ptfsports, which is the company that sells the vast majority if Majestic's overruns and irregulars. I've purchased things from them in the past and they're 100% legit.

Absolutely, classic. Unfortunately, this is probably the thought process of executives. The A's should reintroduce a gold/yellow alternate with a cap that has a gold/yellow crown and green bill. That would be truly the most classic alternate of all.

So I recalled rumblings last year about the A's getting a black alt for this season (shudder) and I got curious about it, as much as I don't look forward to them having it. I haven't heard anything about it since, so I made a post on an A's fan site, to which someone replied with something they found on eBay...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Oakland-As-2008-Black-Jersey-Athletics-56-IR_W0QQitemZ150206054614QQihZ005QQcategoryZ24905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie

Item

asblack.jpg

Not impressed at all... but the real point of this thread is, how does something like this get to eBay even before it gets to any fans, or even any hype in the media.

It sounds like its from someone who runs a store or something, claiming its an irregular jersey so he's just selling it on ebay... whatever, but stores don't get jerseys THIS early.

Any idea what gives, or think its a fake? If I knew this is what they were going to wear, and if it wasn't 3 sizes too big, I'd put a bid in for that price, even if I don't like it that much.

Edited the link.

If they replaced the black with green, it would be an awesome alt. The black for no reason whatsoever ruined it.

Its probably true that some marketing guy thought black was a hot color thats popular witht the kids, but the great thing about that is that its not 1992 anymore. NWA doesnt exist. if any market guru checked the streets, they'd see a garish mish mash of colors with little sublimations of logos. columbia blue is/was the new black and we'll soon be seeing a new one again. my money is on kelly green, which is exactly what the A's need to do instead of this pile.

Item

asblack.jpg

Edited the link.

If they replaced the black with green, it would be an awesome alt. The black for no reason whatsoever ruined it.

This has to be a joke! Athletics wearing a black alternate jersey? Very funny guys!

Archived