Super Bowl XLII Preview

NJTank

Well here's my preview its a painful one I really hate the Pats as you will see in my comments, but I cant see how the Giants will win.

Super Bowl XLII Preview

Comments

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't like the Red Sox at all, at one time actually liked the Celtics but cant root for them anymore though Danny Ainge is my all time favorite player. The Bruins are meh.

The reason I hate the Pats above any other team is I'm a Dolphins fan.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

If you hate this style of football, then why do you watch? The 2007 Patriots will be the best team ever if they can win the Super Bowl.

I disagree...mainly because this team is very beatable (maybe not in this year's weak NFL, but by teams in the past.)

Honestly, I think the 01' Rams, for example, would be capable of beating this year's Patriots team more often than not. Not that I am contending the Rams are the best team either....but just trotting out an example.

Because they did survive the roulette wheel for 19 weeks though....#2 all time to the '85 Bears. Not bad all told...

EDIT-I see Tank listened to the stupid Simmons podcast.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you hate this style of football, then why do you watch? The 2007 Patriots will be the best team ever if they can win the Super Bowl.

I disagree...mainly because this team is very beatable (maybe not in this year's weak NFL, but by teams in the past.)

Honestly, I think the 01' Rams, for example, would be capable of beating this year's Patriots team more often than not. Not that I am contending the Rams are the best team either....but just trotting out an example.

Because they did survive the roulette wheel for 19 weeks though....#2 all time to the '85 Bears. Not bad all told...

I try to avoid Bil Simmons at all costs

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I just said that because the preview said he was comparing the Giants to the '85 Patriots.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just said that because the preview said he was comparing the Giants to the '85 Patriots.

Ahh no, I heard that score it my head and it just seemed to fit.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Because they did survive the roulette wheel for 19 weeks though....

Which is similar to the reason the 1972 Miami Dolphins are mentioned as one of the NFL's all-time best teams: they managed to "survive the roulette wheel" for 17 weeks. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, it's not as if those '72 Dolphins were the juggernaut that Miami fans now like to make them out to be. They played two teams that finished above .500, and both of those clubs - the Chiefs and the Giants - barely achieved that mark at 8-6. They played two teams - the Vikings and Jets - that finished 7-7. Every other team they faced during the regular-season finished well below the .500 mark. They barely eked out victories over the mediocre Vikings and Jets and managed to beat the abysmal Bills by a point. They didn't face a single playoff-bound team during the regular season.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a die-hard Seattle Seahawks fan. Our recent success has been built on playing in the worst division in football... and I'd give my eye-teeth for a Super Bowl victory.

Honestly, I think the 01' Rams, for example, would be capable of beating this year's Patriots team more often than not.

Y'know, at first glance, I seriously thought that that was one of the most inane comments I've ever heard anybody say, especially considering your dislike towards this year's Patriots.

Then I thought about it...and I basically figured out that the '01 Rams were basically a juggernaut. I have no idea how they lost 2 games that year. 07 Pats vs. 01 Rams would be a terrific game.

(and I went to whatifsports.com and simulated 10 games. Pats won 6, Rams won 4. That would definitely be a close game.)

EDIT: One team that I think would be better than this year's Patriots...and would be able to shut them down easily...the most underrated Super Bowl Champions of all time: the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. They had the defense that was more than capable of not only shutting the Patriots down, but scoring on defense as well.

"Frauds from New England"? "No class"? Have they came out and made an guarantees? No they haven't. How are they frauds? Elaborate on that point. Also surprised that you didn't bring up the "cheating" thing, even though it's very inconclusive. Brian in Boston said it perfectly; the real frauds might be the '72 Dolphins, who's best teams were 8-6. You also want to bring up class? Talk to Mercury Morris for me, will ya? And you finish with "bring us back the hard nosed defensive football of the past." Well, I'm sorry, Tank, that Brady's line is tremendous. Would also like to say that the Jaguars and Titans have very smash-mouth defenses who are rough.

You never brought up the point of "weak defenses" before, so I can only assume that during the 3 months you were absent from the boards, that you were thinking of excuses as to why the Patriots aren't the greatest team of all time....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Honestly, I think the 01' Rams, for example, would be capable of beating this year's Patriots team more often than not.

Y'know, at first glance, I seriously thought that that was one of the most inane comments I've ever heard anybody say, especially considering your dislike towards this year's Patriots.

Then I thought about it...and I basically figured out that the '01 Rams were basically a juggernaut. I have no idea how they lost 2 games that year. 07 Pats vs. 01 Rams would be a terrific game.

(and I went to whatifsports.com and simulated 10 games. Pats won 6, Rams won 4. That would definitely be a close game.)

(Stupid) turnovers...in fairly sizable quantities. They were the literal example of a team that could only beat itself. The New Orleans loss (according to a box score I'm looking at) they threw 4 picks and lost 4 fumbles. They threw 2 picks and lost 3 fumbles against Tampa Bay, and 2 picks and a fumble in the Super Bowl...including one pick that was returned for a TD, and the fumble also led to a Patriots TD.

EDIT-17 Patriot points came off of turnovers in that game.

Today, we are all otaku.

Like it or not folks, The Patriots are one of the all-time great teams. Are they the greatest ever if they win Sunday? Well, they'll certainly be in any discussion of the greatest teams ever but I'd have to say that they are not at the top of the list. It's impossible to say who is the "best ever." All I can say is this, having seen the '85 Bears, '70's Steelers, '80's 49ers, and 90's Cowboys in action, I wouldn't bet on the Patriots to beat any of them. Especially The '85 Bears or '78 Steelers.

If I had to make an honest comparison I think these Patriots remind me a lot of the 90's Bills. Those Bills were easily the best team in an otherwise mediocre conference. Their problem was that the NFC was far superior. The Patriots are by far the best team in an otherwise mediocre league. They play in the better conference but that's not saying much these days. After The Colts, who is anywhere close to the Patriots? Don't get me wrong, any team that does what The Pats have done is great in any era. I just have to deduct points for the overall lower quality of the competition. If they go 19-0 they are in the discussion of all-time greatest teams but I can't say I think they're better than the great teams I mentioned earlier. Are these Patriots better than the '72 Dolphins? Again, having seen both teams, (Sorry Tank) yes by a long shot. The Patriots are a truly great team but they aren't the "greatest ever."

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Their coach looks is an egotistical genius who might in fact be Satan, because everyone who plays for him is cast under his spell.
LOL.

Ah, Tank at his finest.

Go Giants go, but you can't deny, if the Pats win, that they had the greatest season in the history of the NFL.

Go Giants go, but you can't deny, if the Pats win, that they had the greatest season in the history of the NFL.

And there's the difference. The greatest season ever and the greatest team ever aren't necessarily referring to the same thing.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Just for the hell of it (and to keep the thread moving with another thought) I went to whatifsports.com and ran the Patriots-Giants matchup 25 times.

Result came out 14-11.

GIANTS.

While I don't see that happening in real-life, it's interesting nonetheless. The Patriot wins generally were blowouts (38-10, 33-17, etc.) while the Giant wins were either razor thin (including one odd 6-5 game) or in overtime.

nav-logo.png

I put the '07 Pats vs. the '96 Packers on whatifsports.com

Games Won (Out of 15)

NE-3

GB-12

Green Bay won games both close and blowouts. New England won close games with few points scored.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived