Memphis? Please.

WJMorris3

as of 2/12 Memphis is #4 and Kansas is #5

So that tells me, right now they are #1 in both polls, #4 in the RPI and #2 in the Sagarin Ratings, sot that tells me they have great numbers are in the top 5 of every computer ranking and poll and still they are #2 seed team? Just because they play in the Conference USA?

They play a quite poor conference schedule, which unfortunately must lead to them being penalized.

so if Kansas had the 125th worst schedule rank, they should be penalized as well? They have proven themself, conference rank should have nothing to do with rankings. If they do finish the season undefeated they will be number 1 no matter what. Tell me will if the undefeated Indiana Hoosiers back in the 70's had a poor schedule should they be ranked #2 as well?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as of 2/12 Memphis is #4 and Kansas is #5

So that tells me, right now they are #1 in both polls, #4 in the RPI and #2 in the Sagarin Ratings, sot that tells me they have great numbers are in the top 5 of every computer ranking and poll and still they are #2 seed team? Just because they play in the Conference USA?

They play a quite poor conference schedule, which unfortunately must lead to them being penalized.
so if Kansas had the 125th worst schedule rank, they should be penalized as well? They have proven themself, conference rank should have nothing to do with rankings. If they do finish the season undefeated they will be number 1 no matter what. Tell me will if Indiana back in the 70's had a poor schedule should they be ranked #2 as well?
I would have ranked them with a #2 seed, yes.

I can't help it if Memphis has the poor schedule they do. While Kansas is playing Texas, Texas A&M, and Kansas State, Memphis is playing Southern Miss, Tulane, and Southern Methodist. It just doesn't add up to a 1 seed for Memphis.

One last bit of an argument. Tell me, just who that's any good has Memphis beaten on the road this year? I don't count anyone (which is what happens when your only two road noncon games are at Middle Tennessee and at a down Cincinnati team.)

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm gonna say this nicely, you should probably stick to hockey. Memphis is clearly better than the rest of Conference USA but they can't trade their conference schedule unfortunately. They will be a #1 regardless of whether they lose to Tennessee or not. UNC and Duke will not both get one seeds because they'll split at least once more and play in a weak ACC this year. I'm apprehensive about Kansas and UCLA as well. But who cares about #1 seeds, save last year's tournament the number one seed has won a total of five championships in the past ten years. Its all about matchups and who is hot at the right time. Enjoy the ride.

rush.png

Clipboard03.jpg

I normally would agree. For example, I've never felt that Gonzaga was ever a legitimate contender because they play in such a weak conference. However I disagree with Memphis. As I stated earlier, they were an elite 8 team last year, returned all 5 starters, and added one of the top freshman in the nation. Given that and the fact that they are undefeated I'm willing to give them the #1 rank and a 1 seed in the tournament. Does it really matter anyway? There's a 64 team tournament which every team is given a fair chance. A 1 seed doesn't have a huge advantage over any other top seed.

If Team A has 0 losses and Team B has 2 than it's very easy for me to put Team A #1
Team A's wins include Arkansas State and Tennessee-Martin. Team B's wins include Xavier, Gonzaga, and Vanderbilt.

Advantage, Team B.

Team A's wins include USC, Gonzaga, Georgetown.

Team B's wins include Arkansas-Montecello, Prairie View A&M, and North Carolina A&T

See what I did there?

and Team A will beat Team B head to head.

Before you start complain about Memphis and C-USA don't look anywhere but Louisville. When the Big East expanded and added the Cardinals, the Memphis Regents started negotiations to join as well. Louisville has been one of the biggest advocates against Memphis's inclusion.

If Team A has 0 losses and Team B has 2 than it's very easy for me to put Team A #1
Team A's wins include Arkansas State and Tennessee-Martin. Team B's wins include Xavier, Gonzaga, and Vanderbilt.

Advantage, Team B.

Team A's wins include USC, Gonzaga, Georgetown.

Team B's wins include Arkansas-Montecello, Prairie View A&M, and North Carolina A&T

See what I did there?

and Team A will beat Team B head to head.

Before you start complain about Memphis and C-USA don't look anywhere but Louisville. When the Big East expanded and added the Cardinals, the Memphis Regents started negotiations to join as well. Louisville has been one of the biggest advocates against Memphis's inclusion.

William, see how easy it looks when you take one teams' wins versus big name opponents versus another teams' wins against the 300+ RPI dreck?

In the quest to be right, we often have selective memories. Lies, damn lies, and statistics...

If they go undefeated, they get a #1. End. Of. Story.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Memphis probably could have joined the Big East if Louisville and South Florida has not both been added. Remember that Memphis plays football and the Big East was hurting for football members given the defections of Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech.

Thus, Memphis couldn't have jumped to the Big East in replacement for Depaul or Marquette since it would throw off the even number of football teams in the conference unless a second football playing FBS school could have either been added to the Big East or prevented from defecting.

The Big East liked Louisville and USF's football résumés over Memphis' at the time the conference shuffling took place.

Lastly, C-USA would have been weakened ridiculously (as opposed to severely after the Big East with poached UL, UC, and the rest) had Memphis jumped ship.

All this being said, I hope Memphis kicks the living tar out of those boys from Knoxville when Memphis and Tennessee butt heads.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Remember, folks... #1 seeds don't struggle against UAB.

You're right, Kentucky lost to them a couple of years ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's official. With this piss-poor effort against an awful UAB team, Memphis has lost their #1 seed, as they lose, 77-73.

I think you're forgetting to mention that UAB's a bubble team this year.

Tell the whole story will... :rolleyes:

EDIT-ESPN also gives you the "Dewey defeats Truman" award of the night by saying Memphis wins 79-78.

Oh...and the game was in Birmingham.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's official. With this piss-poor effort against an awful UAB team, Memphis has lost their #1 seed, as they lose, 77-73.

Now wait. I think the only way UAB gets into the tournament is if they win the conference.

LvZYtbZ.png

Now wait. I think the only way UAB gets into the tournament is if they win the conference.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you aren't on the committee.

Today, we are all otaku.

More importantly, Syracuse had a big upset win of Georgetown, 77-70. Terrific win for the 'Cuse, and had they not lost to USF, I'd be feeling much better about their tournament chances.

However, Paul Harris, Johnny Flynn, Donte Green and the rest are all going to look VERY good playing together with one more year experience next year. I definitely see big things for this unit in the next couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Check this out:

headsyv0.jpg

DeweydefeatsTruman.jpg

Today, we are all otaku.

Remember, folks... #1 seeds don't struggle against UAB.

Do they struggle against Chattanooga (UT 76- UTC 70), Ole Miss (85-83; the same Rebel team who dropped 2 to Auburn), LSU (47-45)?

What about Davidson (UNC 72 Davidson 68), a down Georgia Tech team (83-82) or squeeking out a 1 point win against an 11-12 Virginia team (75-74)?

Archived