Memphis? Please.

WJMorris3

I don't get it.

Will was crowning Boise State #1 for the 2006 football season, and was ready to crown Hawaii #1 had they won and gone 13-0 this season, simply because they were (or had the chance to be) the lone undefeated team left. Now, this same guy is saying that the lone undefeated team in basketball isn't worthy of being one of the four #1 seeds in the tournament in March, should they stay undefeated.

That's fuzzy math, I tell ya.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billy B-Memphis only beat one top-10 team.

I was referring to the scenario that would have Memphis beating Tennessee in a couple of weeks, and if that is the case they will have two top 10 victories.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

You so badly want to disprove Memphis, will?

Then circle Febuary 23rd on your calendar, bucko. That's when Memphis hosts Tennessee in a game that'll be the primetime game on ESPN. You want to tout the Vols, then this is your chance.

If Memphis wins this game, they'll run the table in the regular season and then they'll prove all the naysayers, like you, wrong.

That just means that it switches from Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Tennessee as our #1 seeds to Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Georgetown.

I'm not sure two ACC teams should get #1 seeds this year (especially if you are punishing Memphis for a weak Conference). Drake should get a high seed as well...but they won't. (10-0 in a hyper-competitive, cutthroat conference like the MVC?! They are good.)

Memphis' sole issue is in the free throw department....which is why UTEP was close.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If this were college football I could understand the bickering over seeding, but college basketball has been blessed with a tournament. Memphis will have to prove its worth on the court, regardless of where it ends up seeded. Debate all you want over the mid-season rankings, but as long as they go to the dance, it doesn't really matter.

Am I the only one here that would take the Memphis Tigers against the Memphis Grizzlies?

Probably.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Memphis was an Elite 8 team last season. They returned all 5 starters and are now undeafeated. They deserve the 1 seed.

Another reason why I say, even with 1 loss, they should get a #1 seed easily. They've already proven that they can go deep into the Tournament, and they're battle tested...what more can you ask for?

To compare this to the NFL, you can't discount the Patriots for playing the Dolphins & Jets 4 times this year.

Same way with Memphis. It's not their fault that they have to play who they do.

I am not entirely on board with that analagy. The NFL has a rigid system of record=seeding. Sure some divisions are stronger than others, but the gap is not there the way it is in NCAA conferences. Otherwise you would have an Indiana or someone behind the winner of some little conference that happens to have one loss and the 278th strongest schedule.

That said, I think an undefeated Memphas makes a strong case. They'd have some pretty good wins, including Tennessee. Memphas just has less margin for error. If they lose a conference game, it's far different than if UNC loses to Duke.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know why Memphis was overlooked during the Big East expansion. They certainly bring more to the table than DePaul.

Blame television on that one. Think about it... Why add a good team with a weak TV base when they could add a weak team with a giant sized TV base?

I don't get it.

Will was crowning Boise State #1 for the 2006 football season, and was ready to crown Hawaii #1 had they won and gone 13-0 this season, simply because they were (or had the chance to be) the lone undefeated team left. Now, this same guy is saying that the lone undefeated team in basketball isn't worthy of being one of the four #1 seeds in the tournament in March, should they stay undefeated.

Waiting for your response, Will....

I don't get it.

Waiting for your response, Will....
One major difference. In football, we have to decide two teams to play for it, so being undefeated is a big thing. In basketball, we're talking a team that's in anyways, so really what we are doing is arguing over seeding.

I stand on making them a #2 seed, in fact perhaps the best #2 seed there.

LvZYtbZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again, the media are showing a strong bias by trumpeting the Memphis Tigers as one of the best four teams in the country, by wanting them to get a #1 seed. Your top four should be Tennessee, Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas.

(Hasn't anyone noticed that Memphis's RPI keeps on going down? At least the computers have it right.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Yet again, the media are showing a strong bias by trumpeting the Memphis Tigers as one of the best four teams in the country, by wanting them to get a #1 seed. Your top four should be Tennessee, Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas.

(Hasn't anyone noticed that Memphis's RPI keeps on going down? At least the computers have it right.)

Hasn't Kansas struggled lately?

Today, we are all otaku.

Believe it or not, Kansas's RPI is #4 right now, just ahead of Memphis.

LvZYtbZ.png

Believe it or not, Kansas's RPI is #4 right now, just ahead of Memphis.

Is this with the Texas loss or without?

Today, we are all otaku.

as of 2/12 Memphis is #4 and Kansas is #5

So that tells me, right now they are #1 in both polls, #4 in the RPI and #2 in the Sagarin Ratings, sot that tells me they have great numbers are in the top 5 of every computer ranking and poll and still they are #2 seed team? Just because they play in the Conference USA?

as of 2/12 Memphis is #4 and Kansas is #5

So that tells me, right now they are #1 in both polls, #4 in the RPI and #2 in the Sagarin Ratings, sot that tells me they have great numbers are in the top 5 of every computer ranking and poll and still they are #2 seed team? Just because they play in the Conference USA?

They play a quite poor conference schedule, which unfortunately must lead to them being penalized.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived