Utah Football switching to Under Armour

Ry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why all the Under Armour schools are using pretty much the same exact template. Southern Illinois, North Texas, USF, I think these are similar to South Carolina too. They really need to get some more designs out there for schools to choose from.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't know why all the Under Armour schools are using pretty much the same exact template. Southern Illinois, North Texas, USF, I think these are similar to South Carolina too. They really need to get some more designs out there for schools to choose from.

Methinks it's more of a recognition thing--in other words, UA wants everyone who watches college football to know which schools they are outfitting, and, outside of Auburn, are sticking them all in basically the same template as a way of saying "see..these are OUR schools".

The funny thing is that UA's wishbone coller treatment is damn near identical to Nike's wishbone collar treatment on the basketball jerseys of the schools they outfit.

And it kills me.

Soon, there might not be much if any individuality amongst college programs, football or basketball. It'll almost be cookie-cutter in a sense, meaning that you can tell what school is outfitted by what supplier based on what template they're wearing--which may actually be the goal of Nike, UnderArmour, New Balance (if they gain any more higher-profile clientele than Central Michigan), and the other apparel bigwigs out there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Methinks it's more of a recognition thing--in other words, UA wants everyone who watches college football to know which schools they are outfitting, and, outside of Auburn, are sticking them all in basically the same template as a way of saying "see..these are OUR schools".

The funny thing is that UA's wishbone coller treatment is damn near identical to Nike's wishbone collar treatment on the basketball jerseys of the schools they outfit.

And it kills me.

Soon, there might not be much if any individuality amongst college programs, football or basketball. It'll almost be cookie-cutter in a sense, meaning that you can tell what school is outfitted by what supplier based on what template they're wearing--which may actually be the goal of Nike, UnderArmour, New Balance (if they gain any more higher-profile clientele than Central Michigan), and the other apparel bigwigs out there.

I could see why UA would want to outfit all their schools the same as a recognition point. But I think the UA logo on the jersey does it just fine. What Nike did in basketball made more sense because they can't put the logo on the basketball jerseys. So people would see the collarbone stripes and notice that's Nike's design whereas people might not notice an adidas school unless they pay attention to their shorts. I'm not saying that I like all the collarbone stripes, but it made more sense. The problem with outfitting all the teams in the same template is that there is no variety. If nobody likes this template that they are using with everyone, then they may look over UA as a uniform designer. If they put out several templates then there is a much greater chance that someone will see one or more that they like. It's a little like putting all your money in one stock, if it just tanks then you have nothing left.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

logo.gif It became official today.

UNDER ARMOUR AND UNIVERSITY OF UTAH ATHLETICS ANNOUNCE OFFICIAL OUTFITTER AGREEMENT FOR UTE FOOTBALL

Baltimore, MD (April 8, 2008) ? Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UA) The University of Utah and Under Armour, Inc. today announced a multi-faceted five-year partnership that designates Under Armour as the official performance apparel and footwear outfitter for the University of Utah football team. Under Armour will supply Utah's football players, coaches and staff with its technologically advanced line of performance apparel, footwear and accessories. The Utes are the latest in a line of powerhouse FBS programs to form a partnership with Under Armour. The brand has official outfitter relationships in The Atlantic Coast Conference, The Big 12, The Western Athletic Conference, and The Southeastern Conference, including agreements with Auburn University, University of Hawaii and the University of South Carolina. "The University of Utah is a program committed to improving performance and we're excited to provide them with an undeniable on-field advantage through our latest innovations in footwear, uniform designs, fabrics and textiles," said Kevin Haley, Senior Vice President, Sports Marketing. "We look forward to our partnership helping the Utes reach new levels of success." In addition to providing technologically advanced performance apparel and footwear, the partnership includes Under Armour marketing and promotional rights. Under Armour has incorporated coaches, facilities and former players from some of its other partnerships in its previous marketing and advertising campaigns, including "Protect This House®" and "Click-Clack?." Past commercials have featured Steve Spurrier (University of South Carolina), Ralph Friedgen (University of Maryland) and Tommy Tuberville (Auburn University).

"Our players and coaches are excited about the opportunity to wear Under Armour products," said Kyle Whittingham, head coach. "We became interested in Under Armour because of the high quality of its product line and its cutting edge appeal. In addition to benefiting our current players and staff, our partnership with Under Armour will be a great recruiting tool."

a part of me wishes that UA was chosen to be the outfitter rather than adidas. i know that adidas is a much more experienced outfitter, but i could picture a very sweet, plain, classic michigan outfit made by UA. plus, you know that their merchandise wouldn't be as terrible as adidas's (yes, im still upset about that) <_<

Picture21.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This "templating" of sports uniforms is really beginning to bug the living $#i! out of me. It's almost as if the various entities who've allowed themselves to succomb to this "phenomenon" have allowed their outfitters to turn their sports teams into living, breathing, walking billboards advertising them--which I know is mostly (if not ENTIRELY) the aim of the outfitters. I mean...it's one thing to do it in pro sports (it ain't like the WNBA is exactly "steeped" in tradition", and for that matter, neither is the Arena Football League, really), but on the college level, it's something else entirely. One would think the sports team's uniforms would reflect on the tradition and history of its respective insitution, and that the team is out there representing the university. Instead...it seems, through my eyes at least, that they've turned into a reflection of, and are out there representing, the outfitter that's paying them.

"Buck tradition...we're getting PAID!" And selling your souls at the same time...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 month later...

Archived