Panthers' Zednik cut on neck by teammate's skate

Viper

Richard will be fine thankfully & his wife has flown up there to be with him. If anyone wants to write a get well note to him, please go to this link:

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=353054

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clintmalarchuk-pg-13.jpg

To this day... I still don't know how he survived something like that. Probably one of the most graphic images in sports history... but also one many people should learn from. There are reasons neck protectors were made for both skaters and goalies... and hopefully people will begin to wear them more now as a result.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

2 times in the past 20 years in the NHL is 2 times too many. They should start to require it.

Just like how 1 time a puck killed a fan in the past 110 years. 1 time is still too many and protective netting was added despite the slim odds of living that tragedy. Neck gear should be added now before somebody does get killed in 10 years from now.

2 times in the past 20 years in the NHL is 2 times too many. They should start to require it.

Just like how 1 time a puck killed a fan in the past 110 years. 1 time is still too many and protective netting was added despite the slim odds of living that tragedy. Neck gear should be added now before somebody does get killed in 10 years from now.

No, that was an overreaction. And the puck didn't kill her. It was the snapping of her neck caused by the puck hitting her. Semantically different.

On Wednesday, Franklin County Coroner Brad Lewis said his autopsy found the girl died from damage to an artery when her head snapped back. He said the injury led to a "vicious cycle" of clotting in the artery and swelling of the brain.

NHL Network just said he is "out of surgery, and resting comfortably." Certainly great news there after a very scary situation.

At least nobody saw what happened, since Sabres fans don't go to the games, right?

Good news to hear that Zednik will be alright.

Why is it no big deal for everyone to rip Philly, like its the big trendy thing to do. But as soon as someone from the Philly area says something about somewhere else, its blasphemy. You all need to stop listening to the crap the media forces on you. A very small percentage of people act like idiots at games, and get drunk. Every city has that so I dont want to hear it. The only reason Philly gets a bad rap is because everyone is waiting to jump on every little thing. I go to most of the games. A few weeks ago, Milan Lucic went face first into the dasher and was down for a few minutes. When he got up, he got a standing ovation. The linesman that took the skate to the face, when he was helped off the ice, standing ovation. Damn straight Im gonna stand up for my city/fans when people like you constantly attack us. Im sick and tired of it, but its ok when RJ Umberger is unconscious and clearly injured, and the Sabres show repeated replays of it while hes down on the ice. It goes unnoticed because its in Buffalo, and God forbid we call them out on anything.

For the record they only showed the replay once in the arena, after Umburger was helped off the ice. Get your facts straight.

My prayers are still with Richard Zednik and hopefully he has a 100% recovery. He is still at Buffalo General and his wife is flying here now.

saBS.png

No, that was an overreaction. And the puck didn't kill her. It was the snapping of her neck caused by the puck hitting her. Semantically different.

On Wednesday, Franklin County Coroner Brad Lewis said his autopsy found the girl died from damage to an artery when her head snapped back. He said the injury led to a "vicious cycle" of clotting in the artery and swelling of the brain.

How? Whether it was the puck itself or not, she wouldnt have died if she wasnt hit with the puck. It was a one time thing, and the NHL wanted to make sure it stayed that way.

I can remember one time at a pens game beofre they put those nets up and Kovalev took a shot and it glanced off of the crossbar of the net and hit a sign on the front of the upper deck and shattered it. I saw almost the thing once at a pens practice when they hadnt put the nets up at one end of the arena yet. You cant dodge a puck easily. Shots in hockey are very fast.

oBIgzrL.png

An overreaction???? Since when is caring about the lives of human beings an over reaction???

An overreaction???? Since when is caring about the lives of human beings an over reaction???

There is an inherent risk that comes with going to or participating in a sporting event. It is not always up to the sport or the arena to protect you from all risks that may be present.

There is an inherent risk that comes with going to or participating in a sporting event. It is not always up to the sport or the arena to protect you from all risks that may be present.

True but if something can be done then why not do it?

Shots in hockey are fast and unpredictable. A shot could ocme straight at the crossbar and bouce off unexpectedly into the crowd. Like i said earlier, I saw it happen. Unless youre watching the puck constantly and react to it every time it goes in your direction, youre not safe...heck, even if you do that youre not. (unless there is, of course, the net). Theres risk, then unessicary risk. Should they get rid of the glass on the rinks also?

oBIgzrL.png

I believe it is required for goalies, since Malarchuk.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm pretty sure it isn't, last year in practice Roberto Luongo got hit in the neck by a shot and there was a big deal about how he should wear a neck guard or a cover that hangs from his mask, but he said it was uncomfortable and he didn't want to. Just like visors, neck protection needs to be mandatory if a serious injury is preventable I don?t know why you wouldn?t wear them. All these players at one point wore a neck guard in minor hockey and it certainly didn't stop them from being a good player seeing as there in the NHL.

I'm glad to hear that he's okay. Heres to a speedy recovery!

But yes, neck protecting should be required. If it prevents anything like this ever happening again, I'd wear it in a heart beat.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

But yes, neck protecting should be required. If it prevents anything like this ever happening again, I'd wear it in a heart beat.

No, no, no. If a player wants to wear a neckguard, by all means he should be allowed to. If he's willing to take the risk by not wearing one, then OK as well. I'm against laws and rules that are intended to protect people from themselves, and this falls under that.

As long as the subject of nets came up, I took a puck off the dome at a Gophers-Sioux game back in 2006. Hurt like hell, but I still don't want to see nets at Mariucci. I know I'm going to lose that one eventually, but I can stick to my guns. For those who agree with the nets, could you make your points supporting that position without getting emotional and saying that those of us who don't want them don't care about people or want people dead and all that crap? It gets REAL old after a while.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, last year in practice Roberto Luongo got hit in the neck by a shot and there was a big deal about how he should wear a neck guard or a cover that hangs from his mask, but he said it was uncomfortable and he didn't want to. Just like visors, neck protection needs to be mandatory if a serious injury is preventable I don?t know why you wouldn?t wear them. All these players at one point wore a neck guard in minor hockey and it certainly didn't stop them from being a good player seeing as there in the NHL.

Not true...I'm 18 and an American...why is that important, because growing up in the US we were not required to wear neckguards, when we went to Canada to play tournaments we had to buy neckguards because there they were mandatory. As far as Luongo saying it is uncomfortable...I completely agree.

brewerssig.jpg

There's nothing like that Malarchuk video to give you the creeps. It's strange to think out of all the physical brutality in hockey as is we sometimes forget that these guys are basically equipped with two heavy knives on their feet capable of that kind of horror.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

No, no, no. If a player wants to wear a neckguard, by all means he should be allowed to. If he's willing to take the risk by not wearing one, then OK as well. I'm against laws and rules that are intended to protect people from themselves, and this falls under that.

As long as the subject of nets came up, I took a puck off the dome at a Gophers-Sioux game back in 2006. Hurt like hell, but I still don't want to see nets at Mariucci. I know I'm going to lose that one eventually, but I can stick to my guns. For those who agree with the nets, could you make your points supporting that position without getting emotional and saying that those of us who don't want them don't care about people or want people dead and all that crap? It gets REAL old after a while.

I believe I did...twice

How? Whether it was the puck itself or not, she wouldnt have died if she wasnt hit with the puck. It was a one time thing, and the NHL wanted to make sure it stayed that way.

I can remember one time at a pens game beofre they put those nets up and Kovalev took a shot and it glanced off of the crossbar of the net and hit a sign on the front of the upper deck and shattered it. I saw almost the thing once at a pens practice when they hadnt put the nets up at one end of the arena yet. You cant dodge a puck easily. Shots in hockey are very fast.

Shots in hockey are fast and unpredictable. A shot could ocme straight at the crossbar and bouce off unexpectedly into the crowd. Like i said earlier, I saw it happen. Unless youre watching the puck constantly and react to it every time it goes in your direction, youre not safe...heck, even if you do that youre not. (unless there is, of course, the net). Theres risk, then unessicary risk. Should they get rid of the glass on the rinks also?

oBIgzrL.png

clintmalarchuk-pg-13.jpg

To this day... I still don't know how he survived something like that. Probably one of the most graphic images in sports history... but also one many people should learn from. There are reasons neck protectors were made for both skaters and goalies... and hopefully people will begin to wear them more now as a result.

I'm hardly ever bothered by blood and livers or whatever, things perceived as gross or disgusting, but that picture and video just did it for me. I had to look away. I'm so glad Zednik's been upgraded to Good Condition.

Archived