NHL: Who Wants to Win the Southeast Division?

rmackman

SOUTHEAST GP W L OT Pts GF GA

Washington Capitals 58 27 25 6 60 166 179

Carolina Hurricanes 59 28 27 4 60 171 187

Atlanta Thrashers 59 28 27 4 60 160 188

Florida Panthers 59 26 27 6 58 159 168

Tampa Bay Lightning 57 24 27 6 54 164 187

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but every single team in the Southeast Division has a shot at winning the entire division and caiming the #3 seed (with what might be the Eastern Conference's worst record amongst playoff teams). Who do you think will win that slot, and why? How about who do you WANT to win? Florida plays Washington on Friday, so if they win, you'll have another team with 60 points. Go Cats Go! I want that playoff spot!!!!! :D

vokoun_panthers_getty_400.jpg

ovechkin_alex_vert_ap_260.jpg

lecavalier_vincent_getty_400.jpg

AAHD128_8x10-2006FinalsGame2Action~Eric-Staal-2006-Stanley-Cup-Posters.jpg

Penguins_Thrashers_Hockey__328149513.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...is anyone going to provide a REASON why they think said team will win? Or are you all just yelling out your favorite team?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Florida Panthers:

We have several guys out with injuries right now. Richard Zednik, Noah Welch, Mike Van Ryn, Rostislav Olesz, Jozef Stumpel, Garth Murray, and Radek Dvorak are all out. They're all slated to come back at some point towards the last month of the season. If the Cats can keep within a point or two of the division lead going into March, these seven guys coming off of injuries will put more experienced players back on the ice. If they can hold it together with young callups from the AHL, there's no reason they can't take over when the big boys are back. Also, the team has banded together since Zednik's injury. Chemistry is an intangible you can't ignore. Granted things will change as we near the trade deadline, but I say don't count Florida out. We've missed the playoffs for seven seasons now, and we're sick of it. With everyone healthy and Vokoun on his game, the Panthers are the best team in the Southeast.

spacer.png

Lots of divisions are close this year...

Atlantic: Top 3 separated by 4 points, top 4 separated by 6 points

Northwest: Top 3 separated by 3 points, top 4 teams separated by 5 points.

Pacific: Top 3 teams separated by 5 points.

Northeast: Top 2 separated by 4 points.

Of course, the Southeast the closest of all 6 division, and I'm thinking Carolina is going to pull it out, because they've been in more big time situations than the other top 4 teams.

This is why the Thrashers will win.

kovalchuk_celebrates300x194.jpg

Ilya Kolvachuk. That's why.

Plus they are getting hot.

And we have this guy:

17_kari_lehtonen.jpg

And yes, he will still stop the puck in this position.

Seriously, Lehtonen's been spinning on his head making saves recently...and although that's definitely a good thing, the defense is letting WAY too many shots get through. The forwards aren't helping too much either, there's been some pretty bad forechecking as of late.

That being said, we've done pretty good against most everybody in the division, and when it comes down to playing everybody in the SE to win the SE (which will be the case for the Thrashers & the Capitals...their last 7 games will all be against divisional rivals), I think the team that might have the best shot will be the Thrashers. They're getting hot at the right time, they play well within the division, what more can you ask for?

That being said, the Canes are experienced as hell, Florida (if they somehow manage to hold together during this period of injury) might be hot late, the Caps have Ovie (what more do you need?), and if the Lightning could stop bad shots from getting in, I think they'd be at the top of the division. This is basically a crapshoot. It will come down to who gets hot at the right time, and who wins the most within the division. I'm hoping it'll be the Thrashers. :D

I'm pulling for the Caps, mainly as a former season ticket holder of the Hershey Bears, their minor league affiliate...although they were the Lanche's affiliate at the time. I did, however watch them win the Calder Cup as a Caps affiliate.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Flo'da get the playoff spot(even though I wish Olli'd end up a Wing by the deadline :D ).

Obviously I want the Bolts to make it. Buuut thats wishful thinking. Actually I think we should just tank and make sure we get Stamkos at this point.

The Caps are the hottest team at the moment and should be the favorites to win the division but the Thrashers I think could make a race of it. I don't give anyone else much of a chance.

The Southeast Winner will be one and done and teams will be fighting to get the 6th seed to play them.

Tell me, when's the last time a team with a sparkling, perfect record won a championship in any sport?

Especially in the NHL. Since they've been giving it out, only six times it's happened. So yeah, I'm the type that thinks that it doesn't matter HOW you get in...just that you get in, a6nd get hot at the right time. I mean, look at the 2006 Cardinals in baseball. Won 83 regular season games, but won the 11 that mattered most. So yeah, if team's are dumb enough to try to get the #6 just to play whoever comes out of this division, go right ahead. This ain't unheard of.

The Southeast Winner will be one and done and teams will be fighting to get the 6th seed to play them.

Most of the southeast teams just started off the season slow. But now the division holds some of the hottest teams in the league. Doubtful that the winner will fall that easily come playoff time.

Most of the southeast teams just started off the season slow. But now the division holds some of the hottest teams in the league. Doubtful that the winner will fall that easily come playoff time.

Except for with the somewhat exception of Florida (who is mediocre) none of those team can play defense for their lives which is essential in the playoffs. Washington (25th), Carolina (28), Atlanta (26), and Tampa (30) are all in the bottom 6 of the league in Goals Against Average. Florida is the best in GAA at 17th in the league (which is below average). Those type GAA are not a recipe for success in the playoffs. If all of those teams were in the same division as each other they would all be sellers at the deadlines. Let's face it all those teams are about as good as the Maple Leafs. Maybe Florida challenges a bit but otherwise the Southeast winner will probably go out in 4 or 5 games.

Archived