Worst sports injury ever?

roxfan00

Nothing was worse then Clint Milarchuk, it trully is a miracle he survived.

Agreed 100%...

If we were to put criteria on what makes it the WORST, I am convinced Mlarchuk's would come out as teh top...

Not that we should try to find the worst... It doesn't make one less of a tragedy...

Well the video of it is just awful too, they recorded three angles of it and one is worse then the other..

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed 100%...

If we were to put criteria on what makes it the WORST, I am convinced Mlarchuk's would come out as teh top...

Not that we should try to find the worst... It doesn't make one less of a tragedy...

Well the video of it is just awful too, they recorded three angles of it and one is worse then the other..

I agree that was worse than this too. But to me blood doesn't tend to freak me out like a compound fracture. I have a friend ( i bet we all do) that can take his thumb out of joint. And while it causes him no pain it just makes me all queasy.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Indeed, Eduardo's injury wasn't even the worst sports injury of the month. Richard Zednik, anyone?

Still pretty nasty though. Fox Soccer Channel did show the footage, but only from the standard broadcast camera angle so I hadn't seen the break up close until now.

Here is a link to Eduardo's own account of his injury and statement to supporters.

Godspeed Eduardo, and here's to a full recovery and your return next season. At least the Gunners are pretty well loaded at forward, so this should be just a minor setback in the Premiership title chase.

Added: Here's a link to Arseblog with a picture of the tackle itself, taken just before impact. The post itself is a long rant about how English football has to crack down harder on reckless and malicious tackling.

CCSLC signature.png

For those of us with weak stomachs can you please warn everybody before you show a bone outside the body? I hate to be a nag but it would be greatly appreciated.

Dude, the title was "Worst sports injury ever?" Hello?

Very high, late tackle. Nasty compound fracture. It's not life-threatening or anything, but it'll take a while to heal up.

Well, I wasn't expecting a photo like that either.

I clicked on this expecting a discussion and links about it and whatnot, don't get me wrong, but not to be greeted with that...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Worst? No way. It's a broken leg. He will probably play again. It isn't career ending, it isn't even life ending.

Ray Chapman?

Bill Masterton?

Jack Trice?

C'mon. Let's put this in perspective. There's 3 angles of the injury and they're all in great resolution. It makes for great TV. It may be uncomfortable to watch, but take a step back: sometimes people die out there. I've seen downhill skiing wipeouts that put that to shame.

watch the linked video. The photo makes it look like nothing, but the video will make you sick.

It's just apalling to watch. I feel bad for Taylor I believe 100% he was going for the ball, when you watch beforehand, if Eduardo wasn't so tricky then he would've been fine but if he never flciked the ball Taylor would've got it. So I don't think he should be suspended for to long. It's just really unfornatuante. From now on I'm going to make sure I tape my ankles up before I play, I'm terrified of this happening.

untitled-6.jpg

Where is the link to this video? I'm sure it's right in front of my face, but I can't locate it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Vipers post links to a photo that shows the stops up and have a look how high up on the lower leg his foot is, a legitimate attempt to connect with the ball would have, even with stops up, hit a lot lower towards the ankle on the leg.

It's not the worst injury ever but its one of those terrible things to see. No one wants to see it, but sometimes things happen in sport.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I totally disagree - if Taylor was going for the ball, then he wouldn't have gone in spikes up. And if Jereme Aliadiere gets three matches for slapping someone, Taylor should get a much more sever ban.

Would a year long ban be too severe in your opinion?

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

My dad had the same thing happen to him, only about a few weeks after I was born. He was playing basketball with some guys and he came down on top of his brother's foot and did this, only the foot turned up so that the bottom of his foot was facing up. At the hospital, 6 or 7 different doctors told him they had never seen that before.

This is also similar to Moises Alou, rounding the bases at Busch Stadium, sometime in the mid-90's. Can't remember what year, of the top of my head. He was rounding first, and when stopping and turning to go back, his spikes got caught in the turf, and twisted his leg almost 90 degrees to the left, below the knee.

Didn't Jason Kendall do something like this too?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ed McCaffrey, when his leg was snapped in '01...his leg flopping in the air was kind of disturbing to watch.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Archived