2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna take a quick break from all the AL/NL East banter to plug the showdown for 1st in the NL Central. ^_^

Two down, two to go! Big Z carved up the Brew Crew, powering the Cubs to a 7-1 win over Ben Sheets and the Brewers. This win puts Chicago three games ahead of Milwaukee, four ahead of third place St. Louis.

And I also wanna give quick props to Diamondbacks starter and thyroid cancer survivor, Doug Davis, who came seven outs away from a perfect game against the Padres last night. It would have been amazing had it actually happened, similar to the comeback story of Jon Lester. Eventhough he came up short, I still felt Davis' outstanding performance in San Diego was worth mentioning.

6uXNWAo.png

Well my Angels finally went out and got what we fans had been screaming for the past couple of years here in Orange County. Another true Big Bat to help out Vladdy.

Gary Matthews JR was as nice gesture, but not even close.

Torii Hunter got me slightly giddy, but falling just short of what we wanted..

Mark Texeira has me ready for effin OCTOBER!!!

For years under GM Bill Stoneman, the Angels front office has been reluctant to give up any young talent for the big bat.

They didn't understand that to get something, you have to give up something.

Kotch was definitely my second favorite player on the Angels' roster. He had a timely and great bat, he could field his position with the best of them.

Kotch was pretty good at those before, but Tex is GREAT at those. Upgrades in both areas. Thats not a knock at Kotchman, but Texeira is definitely better.

The Halos have 3 great starters in the front of the rotation with John Lackey, Joe Saunders, and Ervin Santana. 3 great relievers at the back of the bullpen with Scott Shields, Jose Arredondo, and K-Rod. One of the best defenses in baseball with Torii Hunter in center, Kendrick, Izturis, Figgins and Tex in the infield.

Now this line-up (which is most likely the one we'll see tomrrow... well today I guess. I havent slept yet)

1. Chone Figgins - Table setter, Basestealer

2. Howie Kendrick - Table setter, hits for average, timely hits

3. Mark Texeira - POWER, RBIs

4. Vladimir Guerrero - POWER, RBIs

5. Torii Hunter - mild power, hits for average, timely hits RBIs

6. Garret Anderson - flashes of power, timely hits, usually the sacrifice fly guy but can still rack up RBIs, streaky when he's on he is ON. Never any true lulls in production

7. Juan Rivera - mild power, timely hits, RBIs

8. Maicer Izturis - timely hits, basestealer

9. Jeff Mathis (Napoli is to return soon) - timely-ish hits, hitting better as of late, decent basespeed (Nap provides a little more pop)

The only real hole in the line-up I can see watching this team day in and day out is that catcher spot in the 9 hole. Mathis has been hitting better as of late and Napoli is just going to be coming back from injury. They do catch their hot streaks, but they are easily broken up by Scoiscia's decision that day. He'll usually go with the hot hand behind the plate and with the bat, but being a former catcher himself, he knows the wears and tears and plays them about evenly. But if these guys catch a cold streak... mannnn are they cold.

I can live with that though.

As long as our pitching and defense stays as it has all year, one of the best, and now with that extra power in the lineup behind the table setters, the Angels should get to the World Series. As a fan, anything less than the World Series is a disappointment. Not winning is still a disappointment, but looking at it objectively. The Angels offense is just a churning machine when it gets going. The only reason K-Rod is in pursuit of this saves record is that the Angels pitching and defense has led them thus far and the offense was getting just enough.

Our problem in recent playoffs has been our inability to score runs. We had our pitching and defense, but every team has that in the playoffs for the most part. We could be in pitching duels but the other team (most recently the Red Sox) has had just that much more offense. Now we cant shut down the other team defensively or outscore them offensively.

If people didnt see it before, they can hopefully see it now that the Angels are the best team in baseball.

and Lackey soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo close, but still

JUST ANOTHER HALO VICTORY!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Take this for what it's worth, but I've heard rumors of the Phils landing Halladay and Zaun for JA Happ and three prospects...

I see no reason why the Jays would trade Halladay at this deadline, he's still under contract for another 2½ seasons.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Take this for what it's worth, but I've heard rumors of the Phils landing Halladay and Zaun for JA Happ and three prospects...

I heard that same "rumor" on MLB Home Plate on XM. It was simply the hosts wondering why a team like The Phillies wouldn't take a shot at getting Halladay instead of Burnett. I'm not saying it isn't possible but the only place I heard anything even close to your "rumor" was on that show. My guess is it was talk show fodder and nothing more.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I heard that same "rumor" on MLB Home Plate on XM. It was simply the hosts wondering why a team like The Phillies wouldn't take a shot at getting Halladay instead of Burnett. I'm not saying it isn't possible but the only place I heard anything even close to your "rumor" was on that show. My guess is it was talk show fodder and nothing more.

It looks like the Phillies tried to make a run at Greg Maddux of the Padres.

However, any deal to Philly would have been nixed due to Maddux's no-trade clause.

6uXNWAo.png

I also heard the same rumor. I wouldn't be suprised in the next day or so we see that the trade went through.

I also heard the same rumor. I wouldn't be suprised in the next day or so we see that the trade went through.

I'll repeat again, why would the blue jays trade away roy halladay? Do we just assume the jays would be happy to be throwing away their ace, their perennial cy young contender, who is locked in for another 2½ seasons at way below market value?

But you are a Yankees fan so I guess I can understand your lack of logic ;):)

---

Chris Creamer

Yeah, I can't imagine Halladay going anywhere. Unless they got something amazing in return (as in an impact player and a couple of great prospects) he isn't headed anywhere. Even then, trading an ace whose contract isn't up any time soon wouldn't be very logical. Or smart for a team with an outside shot of contending.

yankeessigob9.png

I'll repeat again, why would the blue jays trade away roy halladay? Do we just assume the jays would be happy to be throwing away their ace, their perennial cy young contender, who is locked in for another 2½ seasons at way below market value?

But you are a Yankees fan so I guess I can understand your lack of logic ;):)

Though I have to wonder if Chris isn't a closet Phillies fan, given that's a Philadelphia Blue Jays logo and not a Toronto Blue Jays logo in his avatar.

LvZYtbZ.png

Though I have to wonder if Chris isn't a closet Phillies fan, given that's a Philadelphia Blue Jays logo and not a Toronto Blue Jays logo in his avatar.

Yeah, I don't think so :)

I have had to search for a new NL team since MLB and Loria teamed up to steal mine away from me... I suppose the Phillies are a contender for that one, although I have been leaning toward Pittsburgh.

---

Chris Creamer

For what its worth, Ichiro recorded his 3,000th career hit (including Japanese league hits).

Considering the level of play in Japan, it's still impressive.

Hey maz1960, ready to talk some Pirates baseball for once?... :P

It looks like Pittsburgh outfielder Jason Bay is very close to being dealt to a contender. According to rumors, Tampa Bay is the frontrunner, but St. Louis isn't far behind. (Do the Cards really need another OF though?)

6uXNWAo.png

Hey maz1960, ready to talk some Pirates baseball for once?... :P

It looks like Pittsburgh outfielder Jason Bay is very close to being dealt to a contender. According to rumors, Tampa Bay is the frontrunner, but St. Louis isn't far behind. (Do the Cards really need another OF though?)

Maybe Ankiel can try pitching again :D

Archived