2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Phils are 1.5 behind the Mets for the NL East who are Wagner-less until 2010. They also have inexplicably finished their season series with the Mets despite there still being 3 weeks left in the regular season. Brilliant schedule making, MLB!

Phils are also 3 behind the Brewers for the NL Wild Card and have 4 games at home against Milwaukee starting Thursday. They may even be able to avoid Sabathia over those 4 games.

So - should the Phillies be more focused on the division or the Wild Card given these scenarios?

I'm not sure what this means - it's not like the team approaches anything differently based on chasing a wild card or division. All they can do is go out and play and see what happens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well they are ahead of the Yanks now

I'm sure Chris is well aware of that...

I'm almost ready to unfurl a banner commemorating that we finished ahead of the Red Sox in 2006 and Yankees in 2008. Now if only we could do both in one year...

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm almost ready to unfurl a banner commemorating that we finished ahead of the Red Sox in 2006 and Yankees in 2008. Now if only we could do both in one year...

But, now you have worry about finishing ahead the Rays.... :oops:

I saw, I came, I left.

no, just the twins.

---

Chris Creamer

no, just the twins.

Oh... we must have different agendas ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I think most Jays fans are fully aware and have come to terms with their recent winning ways being too little too late.

The biggest question that Jays fans need to ponder now is what J.P. (or a new GM) will do with the extra money that comes with A.J. opting out.

Try to re-sign A.J., try for a cheaper arm, or upgrade the offense.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I think most Jays fans are fully aware and have come to terms with their recent winning ways being too little too late.

The biggest question that Jays fans need to ponder now is what J.P. (or a new GM) will do with the extra money that comes with A.J. opting out.

Try to re-sign A.J., try for a cheaper arm, or upgrade the offense.

If only we had hired Cito a few months earlier... .603 winning percentage since he took over.

A.J. creates injuries in his mind - he has been injured in practically every non-contract year of his career and I know all of his "injuries" in 2006 and 2007 were unable to be detected by any team doctor... it's no surprise he's pitching a full season in 2008.

If he can overcome what is likely a subconscious injury bug then I'd love to see him stay but I just know he'll be mysteriously "hurting" again in 2009.

The Jays will have about $25 - $30 million to play with in this offseason, we could unload BJ Ryan to the Mets since they'll need a closer and ask for a starter in return or just use the additional $12 million saved from Ryan's departure to go out, sign a top starter and go after a Manny Ramirez to fill in at DH.

---

Chris Creamer

Ugh....why are we so good now? Where was this earlier in the year?

It's much easier to play well when the games don't count and there's no pressure. Around here, we call it the "Abreu Factor".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The word on the street is the previous hitting coach was messin' with the players heads... it's no coincidence they instantly turned on the power once they fired the coaching staff and hired 4 hitting coaches to fill in the various vacant roles.

---

Chris Creamer

Toronto is a team I'd love to hate, but just can't. You guys just have a "nice guy"-vibe thing going on. Thanks for kicking Chicago's ass, by the way. Still can't hate you, though.......

It's much easier to play well when the games don't count and there's no pressure. Around here, we call it the "Abreu Factor".

This really made me giggle like an idiot.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

ANGELS DEFEAT YANKEES, 4-2!

MARINERS DEFEAT RANGERS, 8-7!

LIGHT UP THE HALO!

THE ANGELS ARE THE 2008 AL WEST CHAMPIONS!!!!

JUST ANOTHER ANGELS VICTORY!

pMLB2-5175983dt.jpg

Angels lead Rays by 1.0 game for AL Lead and Home-Field Advantage (pending result of the Rays/Sox game)

K-Rod is 1 away from tying and 2 away from making history for single season saves.

untitled-7.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Mike Timlin suuuuucks.

By the way, I was watching part of the Sox/Rays game at the bar, and the homeplate umpire is the worst I've ever seen. He made some of the worst strike calls I've ever seen both ways.

Well if your team can't score more than two runs in a 14 inning game, you can't really expect to win.

Mike Timlin suuuuucks.

By the way, I was watching part of the Sox/Rays game at the bar, and the homeplate umpire is the worst I've ever seen. He made some of the worst strike calls I've ever seen both ways.

Not just him. that god damn interference call and the Ellsbury call were huge, huger in retrospect. And we left like 584 men on base, half of them from the 9th on. This game all around, and yesterday, makes me want to kiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllll somebody.

How the hell did Pena get that out of the park? Admittedly I was pumping my fist when it came off the bat.

Mike Timlin suuuuucks.

Well if your team can't score more than two runs in a 14 inning game, you can't really expect to win.

When the umpire's giving each teams pitchers about 6 inches off of the plate, can't really expect anything other than a low scoring affair. Sox had their chances and blew it.

Really should've taken at least 2 of 3 -- Papelbon pitching last nights game was unacceptable, he should never be used three games in a row and Francona's use of the pinch runner in the 9th last night is dumbfounding. Oh well, the Sox should manage to avoid Halladay this weekend against Toronto.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Angels clinched their division today?

:lol: What a joke of a division. The Angels OWNED the west.

Yeah, it must be nice to play in a division where you only have finish ahead of three other teams...

<_<

How does that matter? The Cubs have no concerns about the Reds or the Pirates...they mine as well be playing in a division with 3 teams.

Its one thing with the Padres when the West with a losing record because of fewer teams, but they (Angels) have the best record in baseball. They would be winning ANY division.

Ok...well I guess maybe they cause they play those teams more times because of fewer teams and if they are bad that helps. But if all the teams are good it hurts. It all evens out.

Archived