Olympic Torch Protest

WJMorris3

Speaking as a historian...

Either that's deliberately ironic, or once again an American has demonstrated that we are far stupider than we give ourselves credit for.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would like know what intersection that is... that traffic sign caught my attention :blink:

About the protest, it's not all that surprising to me. As much as we can denouce China, I blame the IOC for even giving them the Olympics in the first place.

I saw, I came, I left.

You could call it intentional hyperbole to make a statement. At least I certainly hope they don't believe it.

Ahem.

I was hoping willmorris would talk about how overrated these protests are, and that the Paris protesters deserve to get a higher seed than San Francisco protesters.

I'm disappointed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Confucius said, "Sow the wind, reap the s :censored: t-storm." (Or something like that.) Which is just what the "People's Republic" has done, and will no doubt continue to do through the end of August. And somehow I have a hunch that this won't be anywhere near the worst of it.

Giving Beijing the Games was a huge mistake, but at least it's casting a great big spotlight on (1) the "People's Republic" for the for the thuggish regime it is, and (2) the IOC braintrust for the fools they are, and both in spectacular fashion. That must count for something.

CCSLC signature.png

You could call it intentional hyperbole to make a statement. At least I certainly hope they don't believe it.

facepalm.jpg

Either that's deliberately ironic, or once again an American has demonstrated that we are far stupider than we give ourselves credit for.
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ahem.

I was hoping willmorris would talk about how overrated these protests are, and that the Paris protesters deserve to get a higher seed than San Francisco protesters.

I'm disappointed.

Well they were wrong in 1936 and they are wrong now, China is a disastrous choice for the Olympics, they should have done the right thing and put it in Toronto.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The U.S. didn't pull out of the '36 olympics because Avery Brundage (who is responsible for promoting the high-and-mighty douchbaggery that was the AAU and later the IOC) was sucking Hitler's Oscar Meyer and no one saw it because it wasn't a world problem.

This is a different situation.

Honestly, I don't care where they play the games. Just make sure that come this summer, we have Olympics, and they go off without a hitch.

philly.png

Honestly, I don't care where they play the games. Just make sure that come this summer, we have Olympics, and they go off without a hitch.
Fully agree with you Brian... just makes me cringe a bit when I see Americans make fools of themselves by not doing their research when they make stupid signs.

LvZYtbZ.png

just makes me cringe a bit when I see Americans make fools of themselves by not doing their research when they make stupid signs.

...just like when we read any of your analysis of, well, anything!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Gentlemen, the following sign was found at the Olympic Torch Relay in San Francisco, in protest of China hosting the Olympic Games in 2008.

doingitwrong.jpg

Discuss...

Well, I'm sure that did a lot for the affirmation that the U.S. has some of the smartest people in the world. :rolleyes: Way to fall asleep during history class, guy.

Political beliefs should remain out of sports, especially the Olympics. If you don't like what's going on either don't participate or do something about it.

Holding a sign up in the middle of downtown San Francisco doesn't count, cause the leaders of a nation on the other side of the world don't give a rat's ass what some 'smo in the middle of the US thinks.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Political beliefs should remain out of sports, especially the Olympics. If you don't like what's going on either don't participate or do something about it.

You might want to tell China that, since they wanted the Olympics so they could essentially throw a huge international coming out party.

Today, we are all otaku.

Ahem.

I'm disappointed.

Well they were wrong in 1936 and they are wrong now, China is a disastrous choice for the Olympics, they should have done the right thing and put it in Toronto.

The games were granted to Berlin before the Nazi Party took over.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Ahem.

I'm disappointed.

The games were granted to Berlin before the Nazi Party took over.

Yes, but they were still one of the larger parties in the Reichstag, and were already beginning to influence German policy and decisions.

That said, option B (Barcelona) was possibly a worse choice than Berlin due to security issues (Spanish Civil War.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Holding a sign up in the middle of downtown San Francisco doesn't count, cause the leaders of a nation on the other side of the world don't give a rat's ass what some 'smo in the middle of the US thinks.

Huh?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived