NEW HORNETS UNIS LOGO AND COLORS

BRYWHIT

I think the fleur-de-lis should be finished around the tail of the "bee". The hornet/fleur-de-lis looks too forced. I like the above redesign that MAC2 did with more yellow, but I wish the teal and purple fleur-de-lis continued around the tail.

Also, PANTONE is not the only one who doesn't like it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
liver and onions looks great when your other choice is a dead dog.

hope that makes sense.

Don't knock dog, man. It's all about how you prepare it.

Unless you're suggesting we should eat them alive? :blink:

Anyway, I think the Fleur de Bee is awesome, but it wouldn't work as well in other sports that use logos more prominently. It wouldn't be a great football helmet decal or hockey jersey crest, for example.

I don't like the changes to the colours. With the way they described it, it sounds like the teal is becoming more of a light blue and the purple is becoming more of a dark blue. We don't need anymore two-tone blue teams in the NBA. I think that the Mavs, Nuggets, Jazz, Grizzlies is enough.

I don't like the changes to the colours. With the way they described it, it sounds like the teal is becoming more of a light blue and the purple is becoming more of a dark blue. We don't need anymore two-tone blue teams in the NBA. I think that the Mavs, Nuggets, Jazz, Grizzlies is enough.

Agreed. Why not simply the purple, green, and gold that is all over NO. To me, those colors are cool, unique, and very representative of the city. Sure the Jazz used them while in town but those colors have been gone from the Jazz uniforms for years now.

I think they hornets have a great color scheme at the moment. I wouldn't object to change in script, but the yellow lining around the text looks great. The aqua-blue they have atm is more pastel-esque, and slightly green tinted, as opposed to the grizzlies and utah etc. The Fluer looks a little more of a typical blue, which is the last thing the NBA needs another of. I also think the fluer looks slightly to forced, but it clearly has alot more meaning than Hugo. If the Fluer is going to take over as primary, i'd like to see theyre existing colors staying...

Have they made an official statement of the phasing out of the yellow? It looks like theyre basically going back to Charlotte colors. :(

I am not crazy about the Fluer De Bee. If you are a Hornet, I think to have a Bee doesn't make sense, it does seem forced. If I was the Bridgeport Bluefish, I don't think putting a trout or a shark on the uniform would make sense either.

As far as the colors, I think it is a mess. I understand the colors of Mardi Gras, and the shift to be like the old Jazz, but I think a perfect test case for a good uniform matching the region is the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Coyotes. They both pushed the loud obvious regional color scheme and came off as loud and obnoxious and the uniforms couldn't make it 10 years. But when they embraced a smart regional reference like the sedona red color to match the red desert color and feeling it seemed more sophisticated and timeless as a color option. Now I don't like the wordmark of DBacks or all of the choices they made (like the snake D), but they can keep that color scheme forever.

A professional team should have design that makes you think and makes sense.

I am not crazy about the Fluer De Bee.

The name "Fleur de Bee" is a play on words of "Fleur de Lis." It's not meant to be an actual bee. Calling it a "Fleur de Hornet" doesn't have the same pinache.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

dude... I got it. It's not that difficult to make the connection. If I didn't get it, I think I would have to go and hit myself with a tack hammer.

The name "Fleur de Bee" is a play on words of "Fleur de Lis." It's not meant to be an actual bee. Calling it a "Fleur de Hornet" doesn't have the same pinache.

I am not crazy about the Fluer De Bee. If you are a Hornet, I think to have a Bee doesn't make sense, it does seem forced. If I was the Bridgeport Bluefish, I don't think putting a trout or a shark on the uniform would make sense either.

As far as the colors, I think it is a mess. I understand the colors of Mardi Gras, and the shift to be like the old Jazz, but I think a perfect test case for a good uniform matching the region is the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Coyotes. They both pushed the loud obvious regional color scheme and came off as loud and obnoxious and the uniforms couldn't make it 10 years. But when they embraced a smart regional reference like the sedona red color to match the red desert color and feeling it seemed more sophisticated and timeless as a color option. Now I don't like the wordmark of DBacks or all of the choices they made (like the snake D), but they can keep that color scheme forever.

A professional team should have design that makes you think and makes sense.

I agree but don't think that means that purple, green, and gold can't work that way too. It's all about how the designers use, or don't use, the colors. I think the problem in the past was that teams thought that if they had the colors, they had to use them ALL, all the time.

I think a more refined approach would be to use one or two and alternate or mix in a third sparingly... if at all. Think of the Dodgers and their use of red. No one would consider the Dodgers a red team, but it's there and used in an interesting way. To a lesser extent, the Mariners also have red in their scheme (for the laces on the ball) but don't feel they have to use it anywhere else.

dude... I got it. It's not that difficult to make the connection. If I didn't get it, I think I would have to go and hit myself with a tack hammer.

He knows you get the joke, but he's pointing out that the insect pictured isn't a bee, but rather a hornet. So the disconnect you suggest doesn't apply.

If the Bluefish wanted to call their bluefish a "Sharky" to make a joke, I wouldn't have a problem with that, either.

It's not about having a problem with it, it's about it being an overall well thought out package. It's not clever if it doesn't make sense or is a stretch.

As far as the color scheme, I believe it is tough to make so many strong contrasting colors work together. The original Hornets flowed better because the purple and the teal worked with one another, but now you have the loud yellow, the teal, the purple and the green. It's too much. Either go with the teal and the yellow (ala UCLA) or go with the teal and purple, but it's just fighting each other now.

For some reason pro leagues don't get the understated beauty of the college teams. They feel like they need to hit you over the head. Chris Paul looks 10 times better in the Demon Deacons uni's than he does now. I don't get it.

It's not about having a problem with it, it's about it being an overall well thought out package. It's not clever if it doesn't make sense or is a stretch.

As far as the color scheme, I believe it is tough to make so many strong contrasting colors work together. The original Hornets flowed better because the purple and the teal worked with one another, but now you have the loud yellow, the teal, the purple and the green. It's too much. Either go with the teal and the yellow (ala UCLA) or go with the teal and purple, but it's just fighting each other now.

For some reason pro leagues don't get the understated beauty of the college teams. They feel like they need to hit you over the head. Chris Paul looks 10 times better in the Demon Deacons uni's than he does now. I don't get it.

The Hornets only have teal, yellow, and purple. No green. And UCLA is BLUE and yellow, not teal.

The yellow added to the Hornets upon their move to New Orleans was to give more of the traditional Mardi Gras vibe of the city, which did help to distance it from Charlotte, although it was kinda countered by keeping the Hugo logo from the previous city. The yellow/gold addition works. Keeping teal, or changing it to a more greenish teal or even green, keep up the Mardi Gras theme a lot more than making it light blue.

I guess I don't understand why you think it's a stretch.

It's not an actual bee in the logo, it's a hornet. They just informally call it a bee.

How do you informally call a Hornet a Bee? Can you call a Moose a horse? Can you call a whale a shark? To call a drawing of a Hornet a Bee is a failed attempt to be clever.

The logo itself is well executed, but it just doesn't make sense.

I guess I don't understand why you think it's a stretch.

It's not an actual bee in the logo, it's a hornet. They just informally call it a bee.

Archived