MLB teams with mismatching logos

JaMike81

With the discussion referring to the Washington Nationals' mismatching cap and wordmark scripts, I compiled a list of all MLB teams with mismatching logos. Here it is:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Cincinnati Reds

Florida Marlins

Los Angeles Dodgers

Minnesota Twins, (TC logo)

New York Mets

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Nationals

Union.png

I'd argue the marlins and giants aren't mismatched

No, they are not mismatched. And the Padres' 'SD' does match the wordmark on the aways. I think it's fine if the home has the nickname in a script and the aways, the location in a "block" font. This also applies to the Mets. Their 'NY' is close enough (I feel) to the Tuscan font used on the aways.

So the list should read:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Dodgers

Minnesota Twins, (TC logo)

New York Mets

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Nationals

I'm leaving the Tigers and Yankees off, because their respective logos, while not identical, do not come from entirely different branches of the alphabet family tree. I've taken Cincy off because they do wear that wishbone-C logo on the home jerseys, making them more like the Giants than like the Nationals. I'm leaving the Mets on the list because the NY cap logo is neither Tuscanesque nor scripty, so it matches neither home nor road. (Nor is it meant to, since it's an update of the old Giants cap logo.)

Personally, I'm also not happy about including Arizona on this list. Arizona's A logo caps, certainly. But the D logo caps are more a mascot cap, like the Orioles, than a mismatched letter, like the Dodgers. However, if you see both caps primarily as letters, then they belong on this list.

20082614447.png

The Chicago Cubs? The C logo is featured only on their caps, the home jersey features the large C with interior team name, and the road jersey has the C with the cub inside of it. Does that qualify?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Chicago Cubs? The C logo is featured only on their caps, the home jersey features the large C with interior team name, and the road jersey has the C with the cub inside of it. Does that qualify?

No. I assume we're not talking about teams whose cap logos aren't exactly the same as the jersey scripts, in which case every team in baseball would qualify. We're talking teams whose cap logos use a contrasting style of letter design with their jersey scripts. Such as putting a block LA on your cap but a script Dodgers on your chest.

Putting the exact same letter C on your cap as on your jersey, but then adding the rest of the team name to your jersey, doesn't qualify. Sticking with the Cubs, neither does using one kind of unadorned, rounded block C on your cap and another kind of unadorned, rounded block C to spell the word "Chicago" on your road uniform.

20082614447.png

This also applies to the Mets. Their 'NY' is close enough (I feel) to the Tuscan font used on the aways.

You think so?

pMLB2-946049dt.jpgpMLB2-3537583dt.jpg

They're not terribly similar, except that they both have serifs....

Well, maybe not accurately. But the 'N' looks like a thinned-down version, aswear the 'Y' does seem different. But still in my eyes it's close. But I may be the only one.

Yeah, the cap N and jersey N have them on top and bottom, although they're shaped differently. But the jersey N has an extra set of them as well.

Doesn't bother me to have those differences, since the Mets use another font on their home jersey. A collection of fonts that compliment each other.

We know, but Ballwonk doesn't mind. :P
I'm leaving the Tigers and Yankees off, because their respective logos, while not identical, do not come from entirely different branches of the alphabet family tree.

Oh, I mind. I mind very much. :P I just don't think the logos differ enough to qualify for this list, since they're both Ye Olde Englishe capital-Ds.

20082614447.png

This also applies to the Mets. Their 'NY' is close enough (I feel) to the Tuscan font used on the aways.

You think so?

pMLB2-946049dt.jpgpMLB2-3537583dt.jpg

They're not terribly similar, except that they both have serifs....

Not to derail the thread, but I love the Mets road uniforms.

(and to keep it within the thread, I agree that the letters don't match. But that's OK.

Archived