Flip Fired

charger77

I always rooted for Flip to do well. He was the coach of the CBA LaCrosse Catbirds when I was in college and I have followed his coaching career since then.

Maybe the Bulls will get him if the Doug Collins deal falls through.

I thought this was just a rumor, because people were making rumblings that Flip would be out if the Pistons didn't make the Finals. I guess it was true.

But I suppose it doesn't matter. The Pistons basically coached themselves, IMO.

Would Avery Johnson of Jeff Van Gundy be a suitable replacement?

LOL! Talk about a downgrade.

Not quite sure what the thinking is here, are the inmates running the asylum? The man had too good a record to be canned.

Jeff Van Gundy would be a downgrade, but Avery would be an upgrade. It mystifies me as to why this man still doesn't have a job.

Not quite sure what the thinking is here, are the inmates running the asylum? The man had too good a record to be canned.

Jeff Van Gundy would be a downgrade, but Avery would be an upgrade. It mystifies me as to why this man still doesn't have a job.

There are two trains of thought here:

1) All of the teams who needed a new coach prior to this are run by idiots, a distinct possibility considering that those teams are the Bobcats (MJ's drafting of Kwame Brown and trading of Rip Hamilton), Bulls (signing of Ben Wallace), Bucks (the 2007-08 season), Heat (see Bucks), Knicks (the last 4 seasons), and Suns (Shaq trade).

2) He's holding out for a better job (i.e. the one that, until today, belonged to Flip Saunders).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Probably because he blew it in Big D? Two first round flameouts, and some baffling personnel use? How's Avery an upgrade over anything? What's he shown?

Probably because he blew it in Big D? Two first round flameouts, and some baffling personnel use? How's Avery an upgrade over anything? What's he shown?

Avery has taken a team to the Finals.

How many times has Flip done that?

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

The last two seasons simply did not work because Flip NEVER had the respect of his team. And this is a team full of alpha dogs; so if they don't respect you, they don't need you.

I remember hearing about an incident during the 2005-2006 season where Rasheed got flustered about a certain play-call. What did Flip do? Did he put him in his place? Did he man up?

No; Flip supposedly left the arena and talked with his assistant coaches about what to do. He crumbled and he never recovered.

This is a team that could use a coach that is downright stubborn to match their stubbornness. that's why Avery could actually work.

GR30a5H.png

The last two seasons simply did not work because Flip NEVER had the respect of his team. And this is a team full of alpha dogs; so if they don't respect you, they don't need you.

I remember hearing about an incident during the 2005-2006 season where Rasheed got flustered about a certain play-call. What did Flip do? Did he put him in his place? Did he man up?

No; Flip supposedly left the arena and talked with his assistant coaches about what to do. He crumbled and he never recovered.

This is a team that could use a coach that is downright stubborn to match their stubbornness. that's why Avery could actually work.

I think Avery Johnson would be a very good fit, for those reasons.

I also think it was a bad idea for Dallas to drop him. But it shouldn't be too hard for him to find a job.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Can't say I'm not surprised about this, I mean they fired Rick Carlisle after back-to-back 50 win seasons because he didn't get to the Finals, so it makes sense that they fire Flip after failing to get to the Finals three straight seasons.

Also ESPN says that Michael Curry (assistant coach) will be the next head coach. Not so sure if that's a good thing, I think they should've tried to get another championship caliber coach.

And to the people that are saying Avery Johnson, why would the Pistons fire a coach who was eliminated in the Conference Finals three straight years, and then turn around and hire someone who lost in the first round the last two years?

espnsig.gif

At some point, when you have a team that talented, a League Finals berth should be in order. He has yet to deliver on that. And now he will be paid by TNT/ESPN/ABC for a year to get back on his feet, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And Flip wasn't a downgrade from Larry Brown?? :lol:

Yeah, Saunders probably didn't deserve to get the ax, but it can't be all that bad. You know Detroit's gonna be cutting him a phat check soon and I really don't see him out of work for too long. Perhaps the Phoenix Suns?...

6uXNWAo.png

This comes as no surprise.

What's that I hear coming from Detroit?

Oh that's their window closing. :P

Hater.

At least they got one while the window was open, can your Cavs say the same?

And how does what I said make me a hater?

Fact, the Pistons are an old team.

LeBron is only 23 so I don't think his window is closing anytime soon.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

This comes as no surprise.

What's that I hear coming from Detroit?

Oh that's their window closing. :P

Hater.

At least they got one while the window was open, can your Cavs say the same?

And how does what I said make me a hater?

Fact, the Pistons are an old team.

LeBron is only 23 so I don't think his window is closing anytime soon.

Because you are happy that 'the Pistons window is closing.' They are pretty old, but they have some really good young talent too. How do you know Maxiell and Stuckey can't help the team compete for Championships for years to come? Teams change every year, so when people say a team's window is closing, it bugs me. They are still near the top of the NBA, and who is to say Joe D won't make a move to make them better, that will 'keep their window open?'

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived