2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
After considering retirement, Joe Sakic re-signs with Colorado for 1 year/$6 million.

ESPN.com

As long as he's still playing, I'll feel young. You go, Joe! And I'm so glad he's staying with the Avs.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I dont know if its been posted and I dont have a link but the Sens signed Ex. Coyotes & Leafs defenseman Brenden Bell.

If you meant Brendan Bell...here's a link to his signing back in July...

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Stu Barnes Signs As New Stars Assistant Coach

http://dallasstarshockey.piczo.com/?cr=4

Stu Barnes retired from the NHL on Thursday, after a sixteen year career, and was then signed to a two-year deal as the Dallas Stars new assistant coach. Stu, who has always been a fan favourite, had 261 goals and 336 assists in 1,136 games with five different franchises. The 5-11, 182-pound centre was selected with the fourth overall pick of the 1989 NHL draft by the Winnipeg Jets where he spent the first three seasons of his career, he then went to Florida, Pittsburgh and was part of the Buffalo Sabres during their cup run in 1999. On Thursday the Stars also announced that Assistant coaches Rick Wilson and Mark Lamb have been given two year extensions.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Yeah, I just want to take the time out to be a little kid and say Joe Sakic is the man. What a great athlete. Hopefully the good people of Denver give him a good send-off, assuming this is his farewell tour.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Habs to Retire Roy's 33!

anadian Press

August 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM EDT

MONTREAL ? The Montreal Canadiens plan to retire jersey No. 33 of goaltender Patrick Roy in November, Montreal La Presse reported Friday.

A Canadiens spokesman would not confirm the report, saying the team does not comment on jersey retirements.

Roy, meanwhile, told the newspaper that he was unaware of any plans to retire his number.

"I don't know what's going on with that," said the Hall of Famer. "For sure it would be a great honour."

Roy led Montreal to Stanley Cups in 1986 and 1993 and is considered as one of the top goaltenders in NHL history, posting a record 551 wins in 19 seasons with the Canadiens and the Colorado Avalanche.

However, his career in Montreal ended abruptly in Dec. 1995, when he reacted with anger when left in goal by coach Mario Tremblay while being shelled by the Detroit Red Wings. He demanded a trade and was sent to Colorado, where he won a Cup with the Avalanche that season.

The Canadiens have been retiring numbers of their past greats each year leading up to their 100th anniversary in December 2009. Roy's jersey would be the 15th to be taken out of circulation.

Roy's jersey was retired by the Avalanche in 2003.

Since his retirement as a player in 2003, the 42-year-old Quebec City native has become a controversial figure in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for a series of incidents on and off the ice. Roy is part-owner and coach of the junior Quebec Remparts.

The most recent came during the playoffs last spring when his son Jonathan skated the length of the ice and pounded opposing goaltender Bobby Nadeau of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens in an incident that was replayed countless times on television and led to a provincial government-ordered crackdown on violence in minor and junior hockey. Both Patrick and Jonathan Roy were suspended by the league.

It appeared that there was bad blood between the Canadiens and Roy, who has not attended other jersey retirement ceremonies in recent years. Roy said it was only because he was too busy with the Remparts.

"I don't know why people think there's a problem," said Roy. "I made a choice to run a junior team in Quebec City and because of that, I didn't have time to go to the Bell Centre.

"I would have like to have gone to some events, like the jersey retirements of Bob Gainey and Serge Savard. I would have liked to go see (ex-Rempart) Alexander Radulov play against the Canadiens, but each time, it was impossible."

The Canadiens are to announce events for their centennial season on Sept. 24, but it isn't certain that they'll make known any new jersey retirements at that time.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Ottawa has traded Andrej Meszaros to Tampa Bay for Filip Kuba, Alexandre Picard, and san jose's first round pick.

I don't know if Andrej can turn into the star people once thought he could, so IMO this seems like a solid deal for the Sens, but so did the Carolina swap, and the idea of Redden over Chara... So what do I know :P

Source: TSN

Hi, how are you?

Bryan McCabe to Florida will be official tomorrow.

Link ; McCabe to the Panthers

Its pretty much McCabe and a draft pick (maybe 3rd or 4th round) to Florida for Mike Van Ryan.

It sure will be a whole new team, but got to give alot of credit to Cliff Fletcher who's hands where tied when he re-join the team. He got rid of slacking players, NTC contracts , with huge contracts, and brought in some players that will fill the spots for the future players of the Leafs.

Well done CF, you did us proud, or at least in my books.

4kv29i.jpg

Its pretty much McCabe and a draft pick (maybe 3rd or 4th round) to Florida for Mike Van Ryan.

It sure will be a whole new team, but got to give alot of credit to Cliff Fletcher who's hands where tied when he re-join the team. He got rid of slacking players, NTC contracts , with huge contracts, and brought in some players that will fill the spots for the future players of the Leafs.

YAY great deal for Ovechkin, yet another defenseman to beat!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

YAY great deal for Ovechkin, yet another defenseman to beat!

J-Bow and McCabe sound like a pretty decent pairing... I'm looking forward to seeing that!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• 2 weeks later...
Hockey icon and former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin has signed with a new team.

*ducks*

*chucks swedish meatball*

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Ducks placed Mathieu Schneider on waivers yesterday to make salary cap room for Teemu Selanne...

He passed through waivers...

So now Brian Burke and the Ducks are back at square one trying to make a trade...

ugh...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived