World Champion Boston Celtics

Mac the Knife

What if I said that was the defining moment of my team making the biggest comeback in Finals history which led to our first title in 22 years, which is the purpose of this thread?

Some Laker (Radmanovic? I don't recognize that dude.) being extremely upset after losing a huge lead is the defining moment of the Celtics' Finals run? Funny. I would've assumed some defining moment would have, I dunno, a Celtic player in it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if I said that was the defining moment of my team making the biggest comeback in Finals history which led to our first title in 22 years, which is the purpose of this thread?

Some Laker (Radmanovic? I don't recognize that dude.) being extremely upset after losing a huge lead is the defining moment of the Celtics' Finals run? Funny. I would've assumed some defining moment would have, I dunno, a Celtic player in it.

It's Vujacic, and it was right after he/they gave up a layup to Ray Allen to clinch the game. And I meant it was the defining moment of the comeback, not the whole run. So, yeah, sorry bout that.

..............and YES i will chang my sig in the near future

Actually, I think you should keep it as a reminder of what Celtics had gone through before this past season and how much things can change in a year.

That...and while Kevin McHale is a worse GM than him, he could still be #29 on the GM rankings list. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Classy, Boston fan. There are reasons for your reputation, you know.

Why, because I'm rubbing it in everyone's face? Because I'm being arrogant? :rolleyes:

And that, ladies and gents, is why Boston Sports Fans are the New York Sports Fans of the 21st Century. Congrats on becoming everything you proclaim to despise.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

All you need to know about Boston sports:

The teams = great

Their fans = suck

:P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ā 

Classy, Boston fan. There are reasons for your reputation, you know.

Why, because I'm rubbing it in everyone's face? Because I'm being arrogant? :rolleyes:

And that, ladies and gents, is why Boston Sports Fans are the New York Sports Fans of the 21st Century. Congrats on becoming everything you proclaim to despise.

Yep, you're 100% correct.

Lest we forget Len Bias. If not for that crack vial, there would have been 5, maybe even 6, more banners hanging from the rafters of the GAH-den.

So I guess I should go back and pencil in a couple of SB victories for the Falcons if it weren't for alcohol causing Brett Favre to be traded. :P

Ā 

Ā 

World Champs?

What world competition did they win?

Please present the club basketball team that you think could vanquish the Boston Celtics in a 7 game series. And state why.

Otherwise...best team in the most talented basketball league in the world. That's why they say "world champions".

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How sad is the fact of the Patriots not winning the last Super Bowl...

Why?

If they would win it, today we could talk about Boston, City of Champions... after the Red Sox 2007 World Series Champs and the Celtics 2008 NBA Champs... :P

Well, by a chance, I'm fan of the Red Sox and the Celtics. But not of the Pats and the Bruins.

Hey Lakers, the Celtics are your daddy!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Please present the club basketball team that you think could vanquish the Boston Celtics in a 7 game series. And state why.

Otherwise...best team in the most talented basketball league in the world. That's why they say "world champions".

Or for that matter, the best national team that you think could take 'em.

Boston Celtics = World Champions of Basketball. Period.

/not a "Boston" fan

//not much of a basketball fan, really

///does like the Celtics though

nav-logo.png

What a interesting past 9 months for the city of Boston:

October 2007 - Red Sox win World Series

November 2007 - Revolution lose MLS Cup

February 2008 - Patriots lose Super Bowl

April 2008 - Bruins lose 7 game series to Canadiens

June 2008 - Celtics win NBA Championship

The next 12 months are set up to be just as interesting, as well. I don't see the Red Sox, Celtics or Patriots leaving the title scene (or at least postseason scene) anytime soon. We could (though unlikely) see the Red Sox in the World Series, Patriots in the Super Bowl, and Celtics in the NBA Championship again over the next calendar year.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I blogged about the Celtics' championship win -- try to keep an open mind while reading this. I'm sharing this because I want to, not because I want people hopping on my back and calling me another arrogant Boston sports fan.

After 22 long years, the Celtics won their 17th NBA Championship last night. And, might I add, I called every game of the Finals perfectly. The Lakers won Games 3 and 5, the Celtics won Games 1, 2, 4 and 6. I'm sure many people will come out of the shadows in the next hours, days and weeks, proclaiming their undying love for the franchise, how they'd been there through the thick and thin, how they always believed this would happen. The majority of those people will be liars.

There are a select few fans from my generation that don't remember the 1986 NBA Finals -- me being one of them. I don't remember the original "Big Three" of Bird, McHale and Parish. I can barely hear the echoes of Johnny Most in the old Boston Garden, and I can't see mental snapshots of Red Auerbach lighting up another victory cigar.

I do remember a number 40 jersey in white with "RADJA" draped across the back. I remember Dino's second-best offensive weapon being Andrew DeClercq. I remember owning an Eric Montross jersey and feeling like he was one of the elite big men in the game. I remember Kenny Anderson running the point as he tried to lead a playoff charge. I remember Danny Ainge giving Jiri Welsch the blessing to wear his number 44. I remember Antoine Walker shimmying up and down the parquet floor and Paul Pierce standing on the announcer's table as I watched them lead an historic comeback over Jason Kidd's New Jersey Nets on a lazy weekend afternoon. I remember proclaiming "We're going to the Eastern Conference Finals!" as I watched a game conclude in 2002. I remember Pierce waving his jersey over his head as he left the floor of the Conseco Field House. I remember Rick Pitino walking out on the franchise, only to be replaced by his assistant, Jim O'Brien. I remember being devastated when O'Brien left the team a few years later. I remember wondering why Antoine was traded in order to acquire Raef LaFrentz. I remember re-acquiring him years later, slapping the number 88 on his chest and thinking that the next banner was imminent. I remember watching the Celtics draft Ryan Gomes from a bar stool at the Cask n' Flagon. I remember Draft Day 2007, and wondering why Ainge traded away Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak to acquire an aging Ray Allen. I remember being just as upset giving up Al Jefferson, Gomes and Gerald Green to acquire Kevin Garnett.

These have been superceded by Ray Allen drilling a buzzer-beater in Charlotte. By Glen "Big Baby" Davis making a name for himself at the Palace of Auburn Hills. By wondering how an amazing home team could possibly lose every game my family attended this season. By a clean, convincing sweep of the Texas Triangle. By Kevin Garnett laying out an obliterating pick on Zaza Pachulia in the First Round. By Paul Pierce challenging, hanging with, and out-performing LeBron James in the Second Round. By the team joining together for an improbable road win in the Conference Finals. By the greatest comeback in Finals history. By the landmark blowout that clinched the banner I'd waited two decades to see raised.

Many people my age became Celtic fans last night. Even more will become fans in the near future. Today, I celebrate for those of us who deserved to see last night take place. I celebrate for those of us who couldn't wait to hear the clip of Grande and Max when they got home. I celebrate for those of us who wanted this just as much as a World Series or Super Bowl win. We are the few, the proud, the green.

/not a "Boston" fan

Spain is the reigning world champion basketball team having won the World Championship title back in 2006. The Celtics are the NBA champions...

Oh the arrogance of American sports fans...

/not a "Boston" fan

Spain is the reigning world champion basketball team having won the World Championship title back in 2006. The Celtics are the NBA champions...

Tell you what - put 'em both on the court and I'll give you Team Espana and a 40-point spread for any amount of money you care to wager. Under NBA rules or international, your choice.

nav-logo.png

/not a "Boston" fan

Tell you what - put 'em both on the court and I'll give you Team Espana and a 40-point spread for any amount of money you care to wager. Under NBA rules or international, your choice.

Putting Pau Gasol up against the Celtics again, this time WITHOUT Kobe Bryant? I'll take the C's.

/not a "Boston" fan

I/We understand your point. EspaƱa is the holder of the World Championship of basketball, but seriously - put the two on the court together and 9 times out of 10, the Celtics are going to win.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

/not a "Boston" fan

"Spain" is not a club basketball team. Try again.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived