Duke - FB uniform changes for 2008

jimsimo

It appears that Duke's football team (yes, they have one) will have updated uniforms in 2008.

Specifically, they will sport new jerseys this season and the helmet will now have a gray facemask. It is rumored that the players' names will return to the back of the jerseys as well.

One of the big things is that all black is being taken out of the uniform. It appears that Cutcliffe is trying to put his stamp on the program - I like these changes and think they will look sharp - how they translate on the field, however...

Here are last year's uniforms: t1_davis.jpg

Here is the new jersey: 15301309_z.jpg

923%5C362689.jpg

Duke is gonna look sorta like the Indianapolis Colts in 2008, wow

Maybe it's a recuriting tool to give a subconscious reminder that Cutcliffe was once a mentor for Peyton Manning?

It looks like he's also going for a Tennessee look. I count it a slight upgrade, since ditching the mismatched black trim on the helmets outweighs the increased plainness of the jerseys.

• 1 month later...
Ah Duke. One of the very few teams Vandy has consistently handled since the Ole BallCoach left. I don't have the numbers researched, so I could be very wrong. It just feels that way.

No, you're right. Vandy is 7-3 against the Dookies with the last win for the Blue Devils in the series was in 1991 (Thank you, Phil Steele).

As for the uniforms: Yeah. The Colts called and they want their jerseys back.

Yeah they may look like the Colts but i really like them.

But one question. Why in the team picture do they have them sitting in numerical order from right to left in the last row? Every other row is normal.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Duke is gonna look sorta like the Indianapolis Colts in 2008, wow

You don't need that many sigs. Kindly remove most of them.

Second, it seems like the new trend is to go classic -- remove shoulder stripes, piping, side panels, whatever. Oregon State did it, Duke did it, and a few other schools have gone retro as well. It's definitely better than when every school imitated the 97 Denver Broncos, but it's also kind of boring. Last year's Duke uniforms weren't so egregiously gaudy that they needed to be changed, were they? It now seems like they simply removed whatever personality they had.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

New coach. New uniform. He's going to brand them the way he wants, and the way he feels they will be successful (and success is different in each person's eyes). If Pittsburgh was successful, and Cutcliff had ties to them they might look like the Steelers, or the Jets, or the Raiders. It just happens that he has ties to the Colts, and they are successful, and to make them look like a successful professional franchise might help him get the players on board to his goals and visions. There's a lot more thinking from a coach's standpoint that goes into a uniform than people think, and those uniforms may have just been a place marker. I'm just throwing that out there, I don't have the answers, maybe shoot Coach Cutcliff or the equipment manager an email and find out for yourself. I'm just happy that there's no friggin piping on them!

Some photos of players in the new uniforms. Indianapolis Colts clones, indeed.

Imitation is a form of flattery - glad they went with a winning design. They maybe clones of the Colts in looks - but what about their play?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived