Portland Baseball

RoughRiders9

I read somewhere if that there was a MLB Expansion or a relocation, then it would be in Portland.

So it got me thinking....

What would be some of the ideal team names for Portland?

I already have a few in mind....

Portland Beavers (Based on AAA team)

Portland Timbers

Portland Ducks

Portland Lumbers

Portland Pioneers

Oregon Trailers

What do you guys think?

IowaOaks.png

I remember kicking this around on message boards when it looked like Portland might actually get a team in the 1990s.

One of the names that I really loved was Herons, (the Great Blue Herson is the official city bird). Could keep up with the great bird theme in baseball.

But from my perspective, it's gotta be the Portland Beavers. Too much history.

I love team names so associated with the city. San Diego Padres, Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers, Los Angeles Angels, Salt Lake Bees, and the like.

Plus, adopt the alternate cap logo as the primary, and you've got one hell of a baseball uniform:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

I remember kicking this around on message boards when it looked like Portland might actually get a team in the 1990s.

One of the names that I really loved was Herons, (the Great Blue Herson is the official city bird). Could keep up with the great bird theme in baseball.

But from my perspective, it's gotta be the Portland Beavers. Too much history.

I love team names so associated with the city. San Diego Padres, Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers, Los Angeles Angels, Salt Lake Bees, and the like.

Plus, adopt the alternate cap logo as the primary, and you've got one hell of a baseball uniform:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

Yeah, that's why the Portland Beavers are the no. 1 name on my list....

IowaOaks.png

Portland Beavers.

Portland Roses a distant second.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Beavers or nothing. If you've ever read Ball Four you'll know that calling a team the Beavers is about more than just baseball tradition in Portland. The Beaver has played a significant role in all of baseball history. Baseball is all about tradition. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Beavers or nothing. If you've ever read Ball Four you'll know that calling a team the Beavers is about more than just baseball tradition in Portland. The Beaver has played a significant role in all of baseball history. Baseball is all about tradition. B)

Yes, but those awful men always wanted to shoot those poor beavers.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE BEAVERS???

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yes they shot the beavers but it wasn't like those shootings resulted in a shortage of beavers. Nature can be cruel. Sometimes you need to shoot some some beavers to help the beavers.

BB52Big.jpg

Beavers Beavers Beavers!!!!

It has to be Beavers. Much like the Brewers, Orioles, and Angels did, I think taking the naming-after-history route would be the best for Portland. It just has to be Beavers. And Gothamite is right, use the curent Beavers identity with a few Major League tweaks and you have an incredibly succesful identity in the Majors.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Beavers Beavers Beavers!!!!

It has to be Beavers. Much like the Brewers, Orioles, and Angels did, I think taking the naming-after-history route would be the best for Portland. It just has to be Beavers. And Gothamite is right, use the curent Beavers identity with a few Major League tweaks and you have an incredibly succesful identity in the Majors.

From the mouths of young folk... :D

BB52Big.jpg

Yes they shot the beavers but it wasn't like those shootings resulted in a shortage of beavers. Nature can be cruel. Sometimes you need to shoot some some beavers to help the beavers.

You have shown me the error of my ways.

From hereon in, whenever I am at a pro baseball event, or any public gathering for that matter, I will do my best to shoot as many beavers as I can, in order to make my world a better place. Beaver shooting may not be in vogue, or politically correct, or even polite, but if beaver shooting is what the situation calls for, then beaver shooting is what I shall do.

I will even teach my son the fine art of beaver shooting, so that he and his friends may shoot as many beavers as they can while they are in their prime. Beaver shooting is a noble tradition, one that I will heretofore be proud to engage in.

Allez a la castor!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You have shown me the error of my ways.

From hereon in, whenever I am at a pro baseball event, or any public gathering for that matter, I will do my best to shoot as many beavers as I can, in order to make my world a better place. Beaver shooting may not be in vogue, or politically correct, or even polite, but if beaver shooting is what the situation calls for, then beaver shooting is what I shall do.

I will even teach my son the fine art of beaver shooting, so that he and his friends may shoot as many beavers as they can while they are in their prime. Beaver shooting is a noble tradition, one that I will heretofore be proud to engage in.

Allez a la castor!

Good man. There are times in life where doing the right thing isn't always the easiest or the most politically prudent thing to do. Nous tirerons le castor afin de promouvoir le castor!

BB52Big.jpg

I came up with 2 pretend AL expansion teams a couple years ago, one in Charlotte the other in Portland.

The Charlotte team was the Carolina Strikers. I chose that name because it sounds like a baseball team, hurricanes STRIKE the Carolinas often, the Panthers are a predatory cat that STRIKE, and the Hornets who used to be in Charlotte, and now it's the Bobcats also can STRIKE at any time. The team colors I used were tarheel blue, silver, & white.

The Portland team was the Portland Meadowlarks, as the meadowlark is the state bird of Oregon. I did not know that Portland had a city bird. I figured "Larks" could appear on their home uniforms.

Headline: Portland Happy as Larks getting expansion AL club.

I came up with 2 pretend AL expansion teams a couple years ago, one in Charlotte the other in Portland.

The Charlotte team was the Carolina Strikers. I chose that name because it sounds like a baseball team, hurricanes STRIKE the Carolinas often, the Panthers are a predatory cat that STRIKE, and the Hornets who used to be in Charlotte, and now it's the Bobcats also can STRIKE at any time. The team colors I used were tarheel blue, silver, & white.

The Portland team was the Portland Meadowlarks, as the meadowlark is the state bird of Oregon. I did not know that Portland had a city bird. I figured "Larks" could appear on their home uniforms.

Headline: Portland Happy as Larks getting expansion AL club.

Strikers sounds more like a soccer name than a baseball name, especially at the Major League level. Also, Charlotte isn't as high on the expansion list as in years past. With them being in between Washington and Atlanta, they're kinda in an iffy situation. Kinda clost to these other league cities, but also possibly far enough away. Though they have a huge Braves fanbase there. I'd say San Antonio would be the most likely candidate after Portland. Las Vegas is always a high possibility, but then the gambling issue seems to just be too tough to overcome. Indianapolis is also always right there, but rarely mentioned.

Oh, and no way a team in Portland would go into the AL. Seattle would throw a hissy fit just like Baltimore did with Washington. If they have to share the Pacific Northwest market, there's no way they'd be willing to share it in the same league. Portland would go into the NL, and I think Colorado or Arizona (I believe Colorado would be the best choice) would probably switch to the AL West. This would also be able to send Texas into the Central possibly. Even if they went to 8 divisions of 4 like the NFL, it would get Texas out of the AL West and into a division with teams that aren't 2 time zones and half the U.S. away.

Archived