It's a spectacular game ours is.

rmered

I don't understand what a car has to with anything (?) but...that was awesome.

I'm also guessing the rules of "pass interference" (for lack of a better term) are either lax or non-existent in Aussie Rules.

The winner of the Mark of the Year, for most spectacular catch of the ball from a kick more than 10m gets a car as a prize.

Like Super Bowl MVP gets a car.

http://www.afl.com.au/competitions/markgoal/mark.html

And it's hard to see anyone going past this effort.

Like this one won it in 2001:

and this ineligible one from last year:

And this one over present day Jets punter Ben Graham in 2000. Graham was #7, under the guy catching the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB7h6vKep1M&NR=1

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

...maybe we should put Ben Graham in the slot on 3rd down if he can make grabs like THAT...

He's been very disappointing punting for us. We were teased with 70+ yard punts with spins that NFL players have never thought of imagining...it's yet to happen...

Instead, he's about average, but shanks a lot of them off to the side...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Instead, he's about average, but shanks a lot of them off to the side...

He could be forgetting where he is. He's trying to kick to space and hope one of his teammates grabs the ball down field and kicks for goal. :D

As for the mark...incredible. That would defiantly deserve the term "speckie".

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Ah, I see...so basically you can do anything short of tackling the defender to get to the ball?

If you're going for the ball, you can climb all over them, so long as you don't touch their back with your hands.

If it's all leap, you're good.

And in regard to bumping and tackling, anything above the knees and below the shoulders is fair game:

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Can someone explain why that catch is so great? I admit I don't know a lot about the sport, but that didn't look like anything I haven't seen an American football receiver do 100 times (minus the climbing on a guy's back, which seems like it would just make things even easier).

I must be missing something. It's a decent catch for sure, but I don't see what the commentators are getting so excited about.

How is that better than something like this:

?

Can someone explain why that catch is so great? I admit I don't know a lot about the sport, but that didn't look like anything I haven't seen an American football receiver do 100 times (minus the climbing on a guy's back, which seems like it would just make things even easier).

I must be missing something. It's a decent catch for sure, but I don't see what the commentators are getting so excited about.

How is that better than something like this:

?

I'll throw some other american football catches into the mix here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53imC4zojfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mev1FA5BFLw...feature=related

And from the Super Bowl this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aKfTK2LiM...feature=related

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The guy jumps onto the shoulders of a 6 feet tall teammate, and then propels himself higher, as his teammate gets crushed under him, he catches a ball that's not specifically designed to be caught, and that's just 'ho hum, just another catch you see every day in virtually every sport'?

I feel sorry for you guys, that you are so jaded and yet, jealous that you are obviously spoiled for similar action that is seemingly so commonplace as to make this pedestrian.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

The guy jumps onto the shoulders of a 6 feet tall teammate, and then propels himself higher, as his teammate gets crushed under him, he catches a ball that's not specifically designed to be caught, and that's just 'ho hum, just another catch you see every day in virtually every sport'?

I feel sorry for you guys, that you are so jaded and yet, jealous that you are obviously spoiled for similar action that is seemingly so commonplace as to make this pedestrian.

Have to agree totally. It's just ignorance of other sports that stops people from giving things like this the credit they deserve. I've watched plenty of American football, and those catches were good, but no more so than the Aussie ones or a fair few I've seen in Rugby League. In fact, many catches from lineouts in Union would be classed as "better" than the American football ones under these criteria, but it's such a basic part of the game that nobody ever notices.

And speaking of commentators getting excited over "decent catches", the amount of times I've heard a commentator cream himself over a barehanded play in the field or someone making a diving catch is just hilarious. Check out some cricket for catches that blow everything else out of the water.

Nobody's saying it's not a great catch overall, and nobody's saying it's "pedestrian", but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't see how it compares to the Calvin Johnson or Brandon Lloyd catches, especially Calvin Johnson's. Not only is he running full speed, but he has to reach full extension behind him to catch a ball that's zipped -- he doesn't get a chance to corral it with his other hand. It's a LOT easier to catch a ball that's "not supposed to be caught" with two hands at eye level than it is to catch a ball that is meant to be caught full extension with one hand and only one hand as your momentum carries you away from it.

His teammate was lowered in front of him and he propelled himself upward off of his shoulder. It's not like he jumped six feet in the air, then propelled himself higher off of the mans shoulder. In fact, what's greater than that to me is that he was able to hold down. It's a great catch -- as I said, very impressive -- but go outside, grab a football and try and do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MucCb7bbKDY

IUe6Hvh.png

Nobody's saying it's not a great catch overall, and nobody's saying it's "pedestrian", but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't see how it compares to the Calvin Johnson or Brandon Lloyd catches, especially Calvin Johnson's. Not only is he running full speed, but he has to reach full extension behind him to catch a ball that's zipped -- he doesn't get a chance to corral it with his other hand. It's a LOT easier to catch a ball that's "not supposed to be caught" with two hands at eye level than it is to catch a ball that is meant to be caught full extension with one hand and only one hand as your momentum carries you away from it.

His teammate was lowered in front of him and he propelled himself upward off of his shoulder. It's not like he jumped six feet in the air, then propelled himself higher off of the mans shoulder. In fact, what's greater than that to me is that he was able to hold down. It's a great catch -- as I said, very impressive -- but go outside, grab a football and try and do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MucCb7bbKDY

I guess the difference is, that obviously takes a whole heap of talent, and that's what makes it great.

But in terms of spectacular, I'd say the Aussie Rules mark (catch) is better just because of the air he gets.

There's also the fact that it's contested, in that there's other guys with just as good a chance of getting the ball, and he has to control it all the way down.

It's like what's more spectacular, a huge slam dunk, or a three pointer from downtown?

I'd say the slam dunk, yet it's probably easier to do that when you're 7 feet tall than it is to hit a three pointer.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

See, if you guys stopped watching poker, NASCAR, and the farce that is college football for a minute a took some time to understand something that isn't being shown on ESPN, we wouldn't have this problem. :P

I will say that that was a very good mark, but not as good as Moorcroft's from 2001, Riewoldt's from a few years back, and Tarrant's from 2003.

Three things make this "great":

1. That the pass was not intended for him to begin with,

2. That the catch was made in the air, and

3. That the catch was made in traffic.

And usually these marks close to goal do, in fact, lead to a goal, as this one did. So there you go.

philly.png

Archived