Has this ever happened to you?

aryehz99

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering if there was ever a team in any sport which you disliked that got a logo/uniform makeover and you suddenly found yourself not disliking the team as much, or at all...

Absolutely. The Milwaukee Brewers. Once they switched away from wearing the generic uniforms that might as well have just had the words "Baseball Team" stenciled across the front, I was able to embrace the Brew Crew as an upper Midwestern team. Then again, that happened at about the same time the team switched to the NL and no longer played the Twins so much, so maybe it was more about the league switch than the uniform upgrade.

Both the Padres move away from brown and the Astros move away from rainbow stripes made me fans of those teams, but they were special cases of having had to wear super-hot dark-brown and excruciatingly embarrassing rainbow-striped Padres and Astros jerseys in little league. Thanks to wearing their stinking jerseys in youth ball, I hated the Padres and the Astros with a fiery passion, but once each team dropped the offending uniform element, I became a casual "I'll root for them if they're on TV" fan of both.

A counterexample: My first big-league home team was the 1980 Phillies. Only lived in Philly from 1980 to 1982, but I'd be a Phillies fan to this day if they still wore the maroon and powder blue. The switch to their current unis pretty much ended my lingering fan interest in the Phils.

20082614447.png

I was wondering if there was ever a team in any sport which you disliked that got a logo/uniform makeover and you suddenly found yourself not disliking the team as much, or at all...

Absolutely. The Milwaukee Brewers. Once they switched away from wearing the generic uniforms that might as well have just had the words "Baseball Team" stenciled across the front, I was able to embrace the Brew Crew as an upper Midwestern team. Then again, that happened at about the same time the team switched to the NL and no longer played the Twins so much, so maybe it was more about the league switch than the uniform upgrade.

Both the Padres move away from brown and the Astros move away from rainbow stripes made me fans of those teams, but they were special cases of having had to wear super-hot dark-brown and excruciatingly embarrassing rainbow-striped Padres and Astros jerseys in little league. Thanks to wearing their stinking jerseys in youth ball, I hated the Padres and the Astros with a fiery passion, but once each team dropped the offending uniform element, I became a casual "I'll root for them if they're on TV" fan of both.

A counterexample: My first big-league home team was the 1980 Phillies. Only lived in Philly from 1980 to 1982, but I'd be a Phillies fan to this day if they still wore the maroon and powder blue. The switch to their current unis pretty much ended my lingering fan interest in the Phils.

This is SO crazy... all three of those teams you mentioned as liking better, I lost all interest in when they went away from what I thought of as their "true" uniforms (especially the Padres and Astros).

It's not so much that I disliked teams and then had a change of heart after new identities were unveiled ... maybe just going from indifference to liking. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' redesign certainly influenced me to cheer for them, as did the San Jose Sharks' identity when it first came out.

That's actually how I started liking some teams that I still support. When Carolina and Jacksonville came into the league (I was like 7 or 8), I thought their names sounded cool so those were the teams I cheered for. When I started to learn more about football and pay more attention to it, I kept liking them because of their players and how they played, not just their names and logos. Same with the Colorado Avalanche and Pittsburgh Penguins.

SEATTLE MARINERS

Mariners switch from the "softball" unis (late 80's/early 90s) to the first version of their current look finally made them look like a real baseball team.

NY JETS

Never liked them or paid attention to them until they went back to the Namath era look. After that, really started following and rooting for them.

SEATTLE MARINERS

Mariners switch from the "softball" unis (late 80's/early 90s) to the first version of their current look finally made them look like a real baseball team.

NY JETS

Never liked them or paid attention to them until they went back to the Namath era look. After that, really started following and rooting for them.

funny you say the jets because i would say the same for the giants when they switched to the NY helmets - i don't root for them, but i definitely have started liking them better since then, for some reason

I've had a similar experience with the English Premier League. I'm an Arsenal supporter, but I've recently found myself quietly admiring Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Manchester City. I was indifferent to them before they changed kits two years ago.

Although I'm still not totally liking their current jerseys, when the Houston Rockets finally ditched their pinstripes, I started to care about them a bit. Likewise, when the Hawks dropped the flying gradient bird cartoon jerseys, my opinion of them went up from dislike to neutral.

Ive been a Jet fan my whole life and i reamber when the Patriots got rid of there old white helmets and red jerseys and got the look they have today. It made me hate them even more because i love there logo and jerseys they have now lol.

Outside of the Jazz, I have no loyalties. I am glad I am not the only one that roots for a team based on their logo. I too rooted for the TB Bucs after their mid-90s change, also also rooted for the Marlins, Panthers, and Avalanche because all brought something new to the table. This all changes year after year for me though. I can root for the Jags one year and then the Browns the next depending on what I like visually.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Around the time the Buc's redesigned there look I was around 10 and just getting into football. The orange and red really caught my attention, then they redesigned and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I also think that's about the same time I started getting interested in Logo and Uniform design.

That's why I love this place.

Everyone else I know thinks I am weird for thinking like this.

I don't follow rugby, but sort of barracked for Newcastle Knights when they bought out a cool logo.

2998.jpg

There's also Hartford, who I liked in the NHL because they had a cool negative space H thing going on in their logo.

125px-HartfordWhalers.png

They left and changed, and I dropped them, but that happily corresponded with me moving to Vancouver, who were in the process of adopting what I thought was a terrible idea for a logo.

But I still went for them.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

what teams are you thinking about?

and the brew crew, stros, and padres for me too. I started liking the chargers more cause of their new logo(that and phillip rivers, ima nc state fan). the Caps slightly more for me...i LOVE the home unis too.

The houston dynamo, Cleveland Cavs, The Nuggets, the grizzlies, and hopefully the OKC Thunder

I dont like them a whole bunch, but i root for them to win

Happens to me all the time. Did it with the Falcons, Hawks, Cardinals, Chargers, etc.

The Quebec Nordiques are a special case though. I saw that Stick and Igloo logo and was immediately intrigued. I love playing as the Avs and wearing the throwbacks in videogames, or in NHL 2k5's case, just playing as them period.

bSLCtu2.png

There have been a few teams that I become a fan of because of the logo / name

Florida Panthers

I wasn't a too much of fan, but I became one for a few seasons because I liked the name and logo, but also because I was soooo tired of the Leafs I went to adopt a team and decided to choose Florida as a bit of a joke early in the 1995-6 season. Little did I realise, they went on to the Stanley Cup final. Needless to say, I got the last laugh amongst my classmates who supported the Leafs that season.

Jacksonville Jaguars

I really liked the logo, name and colours. I had a couple of shirts with the original logo. I had a pin, cap and key chain as well. I did like the Carolina Panthers as well. I even had a Panthers hat.

Essendon Bombers

As I started following the AFL a bit more in the late 1990's, I wanted to adopt a team. I started with Melbourne, but then noticed Essendon. I liked the name, colours and logo and I started following them in 1999. I have been a supporter ever since.

I saw, I came, I left.

Essendon Bombers

As I started following the AFL a bit more in the late 1990's, I wanted to adopt a team. I started with Melbourne, but then noticed Essendon. I liked the name, colours and logo and I started following them in 1999. I have been a supporter ever since.

We'll take fans any way we can get 'em, but I've got to admit, I hate our logo.

We're the Bombers, and that's a Jet.

(The colours I can see your point, but the logo annoys me to distraction.)

essendon_logo.jpg

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived