The NHL over the next 15 years (2025-26)

josh_cat_eyes

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

--BUMP--

I know it's been 2 years, but are there any more new concepts here, Josh_Cat_Eyes?

For the first time in my life, I'm actually at a loss for words...

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

• 1 year later...

I'M BACK!!! (again)

Ok so I know I already have another series of concepts on the go, but once I remembered this, the other one has went on the back burner. I'm reviving this thread, starting with the "new take" on NHL history:

Also, I am willing to have some help on this one.

2011-12:

The NHL fails to keep the Coyotes in Pheonix and they move to Winnipeg, following the end of the season, under the ownership of David Thompson. The team is renamed the Winnipeg Jets.

The Atlanta Thrashers find a buyer to keep the team in Atlanta for at least one more season.

Charles Wang is fed up with the lack of support for the Lighthouse Project and starts looking for a new home for his team.

Construction starts on a new arena in Quebec City.

2012-13:

Contrary to what many believe, the world does not end and thus the NHL continues.

MLSE is restructured sold to an Ownership Group Consisting of Larry Tanenbaum, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark and TIe Domi, each controling 25% percent of the Company. The new MLSE is broken down into multiple companies: Maple Leafs Square (Real Estate), Maple Leaf Media (Leafs TV, Raptors TV etc.), Maple Leafs Hockey (Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Marlies) Raptors Basketball (Toronto Raptors, NBADL team) and Toronto FC (Toronto FC, soccer academy etc.) They change their logo to an updated version of the logo used prior to winning the 1967 stanley cup. They also officially retire number 7 (Tim Horton) number 13 (Mats Sundin) and number 27 (Daryl Sittler). They also make it clear they would allow a team to play out of Hamilton, AND a second team to play in Toronto, BUT they would not play in the ACC.

2013-14:

The new owner of the Atlanta Thrashers threatens to not play the team if the league does not approve the sale of 49% of the team to Jim Balsillie.

Charles Wang applies to move the New York Islanders to Kansas City following the end of the playoffs. A scheduled vote is pushed off to later in the summer. Wang says he will allow the team to play in Long Island for one more season, but no more.

While looking for additional investors, the Carolina Hurricanes receive an offer from a Hartford businessman, but he would only invest if the team was moved back to Hartford. The team moves to Hartford, and he invests in 33% of the team. The new Hartford Whalers first season is 2013-14

Construction starts on a new arena in Seattle.

Construction starts on a new arena in Halifax, NS.

At the end of the season, Gary Bettman resigns as the Commissioner of the NHL. Bill Daley is named interim commissioner.

2014-15:

After another summer saga, the state court rules in favor of the Atlanta Thrashers and they sell 49% of the team to Jim Balsillie.

An attempt from the NHL and New York Nets owner, Mikhail Prokhorov, to get the New York Islanders to play in the Barclays Center fails. Charles Wang refuses to give up any ownership of the team for a chance to stay on Long Island. He finally gets approval from the NHL to move the New York Islanders to Kansas City following the end of the season.

Renovation starts on the arena for the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA, following a vandalism fire that almost completely destroyed the building.

NHL switches back to white jerseys at home and limits teams to 6 home games per season or using their alternate jersey, which also replaces the practice jerseys.

NHL gets rid of the gradiants and the extra outline on their logo.

Construction starts for a new 27,000 seat arena for Las Vegas. It will be able to host Basketball, Hockey etc. but primarily will be the main event venue for the Las Vegas area. The size of the arena is justified by the areas strong tourism industry.

2015-16:

The new arena in Quebec City opens.

John Schnatter attempts to lure a team to play in Louisville, KY. He is unsuccessful in his bid for an expansion team.

Mikhail Prokhorov continues looking for a team to play in the Barclays Center. He makes a bid for one of the upcoming expansion teams, but ultimately it is given to Seattle.

At the annual NHL Premiere event in Europe, Brendan Shanahan is named the new Commissioner of the NHL and he announces an expansion team for Seattle as well he announces the NHL has signed a 10 year deal with ESPN and gets rid of Versus/NBC. The league also has signed a deal with BBC, to broadcast CBC games in the UK.

Shanahan announces that the NHL will support relocating a franchise that they no longer think is viable in the market they are in.

The Seattle Rush; named after the klondike gold rush at the end of the 1800's, will start play in 2016-17. A second team is in the works, and will be announced in the annual NHL Premiere, event in Europe at the beginning of the next season.

2016-17:

Quebec City attempts to get a NHL team in the upcoming expansion draft. They do not succeed.

Mikhail Prokhorov still continues looking for a team to play in the Barclays Center. He makes a bid for one of the upcoming expansion teams, but ultimately it is given to Portland.

An expansion team is announced for Portland, Oregon. The team will start play in 2017-18.

After a bizare turn of events in the last 2 weeks of the regular season including a NHL record 7 straight shootout losses and an NHL record 30 shootout rounds in the final game of regulation, the Florida Panther fail to make the playoffs for the 15th straight year and the merge their team with the struggling Nashville Predators. However, they find a buyer during the merging process, and the team "unmerges" and sells the franchise for a pathetic, 75 million dollars. It is immediately moved to Orlando. The team is still named the Florida Panthers.

The NHL changes the draft so that 18 year old players will not be available in the NHL outside of the top 60 ranked players. Also 18 year old players, must have at least 5 points within their first 10 NHL games in order to remain on the roster spot. This rule was put in place to assure a players development, and not to rush a player into the NHL when they are not ready. NHL commissioner Brendan Shanahan explains the point rule: "If a player is not averaging a least a half a point a game and was drafted in the first 2 rounds, they likely are not yet ready to play at the NHL level."

The new arenas in Seattle and Halifax open.

2017-18:

An expansion draft is held for the 2 new teams, The Seattle Rush and the Portland HC.

The Nashville Predators move to Brooklyn to play in the Barclays Center. They are know as the New York Predators.

2018-19:

The Buffalo Sabres finally win the stanley cup. They had made it as far as the conference finals 5 times in the past 7 years and as far as the stanley cup finals 3 times in the past 7 years.

20 year old rookie right winger Bill Boucher from Edmundston, NB leads the team in scoring with an NHL record 80 goals and 150 points. He is known for his speed, strength, and his shot and his resistance to play in the NHL as an 18 and 19 year old. He said he wanted to work more on his game so he could have a strong first campaign.

2018-19:

Mikhail Prokhorov try's to buy the Predators and rename them after he buys the trademark rights to the name Brooklyn Americans. The ownership is insulted at his attempt to buyout the team. The terminate the lease agreement an move to Las Vegas renaming the team the Aces.

2019-20:

The Hartford Whalers have become uncompetitive, and have lost fans. They search for a new home. They reject an offer from Quebec City cited the market is too small. Mikhail Prokhorov offers to buy them, but the owners do not want to sell the team. He instead allows them to play out of the arena but only on a 4 year deal. The team is renamed the New York Whalers.

2020-21:

The Anaheim Ducks file for bankruptcy protection. Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Anaheim Ducks at an auction in which he out bids the NHL itself. He promises to keep the team in the Honda Center until the lease is up at the end of the 2025-26 season.

The New York Whalers announce they have worked out their differences and will relocate to Quebec City following their lease agreement with the Barclays Center.

2021-22:

The owner of the Orlando Pathers declares personal bankruptcy and gives its membership back to the league. A team headed by former Florida Panthers head coach Doug Maclean, buy the Florida Panthers team, and moves it to Halifax, Nova Scotia, which by this year, has a brand new 19,000 seat arena and a population of 500,000 people within a two hour drive.

2022-23:

The Hartford Whalers move to Quebec City following their lease in Brooklyn.

2023-24:

The Las Vegas Aces owner declares personal bankruptcy from gambling losses. He remains a minority owner but sells the team to the owner of the Huston Rockets.

2024-25:

The Owner of the Houston Rockets buys the Houston Aeros of the AHL, moves the team to Nashville and renames it the Predators. He can do this because he is in ownership of both the name and logos of both teams. He renames the NHL team the Houston Aeros.

2025-26:

Mikhail Prokhorov, the owner of the New Jersey nets, finally gets a team he owns to play in the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The Anaheim Ducks lease on the Honda Center is up and they relocate and are renamed the Brooklyn Americans.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The Final Division alignment. I didn't even want to think about updating it year by year.

Eastern Conference:

Canadian East Division:

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Voyageurs (From Brooklyn/Hartford/Carolina)

Halifax Claws (From Orlando/Florida)

Central Divison:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Hamilton Cougars (From Atlanta)

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Metro Division:

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Boston Bruins

Brooklyn Americans (From Anaheim)

Atlantic Division:

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets.

Western Conference:

Gulf Division:

Tampa Bay Lightning

Dallas Stars

Huston Aeros (From Nashville)

St. Louis Blues

West Divison:

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

Kansas City Storm (From Long Island)

Colorado Avalanche

Canadian West Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Winnipeg Jets (From Phoenix)

Pacific Divison:

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Seattle Rush (Expansion)

Portland Panthers(Expansion)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Another cup update:

2009:

Eastern Finals:

[4] Montreal

[1] Tampa Bay

Western Finals:

[3] Detriot

[4] San Jose

Cup Finals:

[4] Montreal

[3] San Jose

2010:

Eastern Finals:

[4] Boston

[3] Pittsburgh

Western Finals:

[4] Chicago

[2] Vancouver

Cup Finals:

[2] Boston

[4] Chicago

2011:

Eastern Finals:

[4] Pittsburgh

[3] Washington

Western Finals:

[4] Chicago

[1] Winnipeg

Cup Finals:

[3] Chicago

[4] Pittsburgh

2012:

Eastern Finals:

[4] Pittsburgh

[0] Rangers

Western Finals:

[4] Calgary

[0] Los Angeles

Cup Finals:

[1] Calgary

[4] Pittsburgh

2013:

Eastern Finals:

[4] Toronto

[3] Montreal

Western Finals:

[1] Edmonton

[4] Los Angeles

Cup Finals:

[3] Los Angeles

[4] Toronto

Can't believe I predicted the Blackhawks cup win in 2010, IN 2008!!! I got the Penguins right too, just the wrong year. Also predicted that Vancouver, Montreal and Detroit would make it to the conference finals. Again, just the wrong years.

Like the concept (minus the obvious). Only thing i will say that i dislike (that wont get me called a flame) is i dont understand why you put 2 teams in Seattle/Portland 2 things in my mind would make this not a smart move:

1. Seattle and Portland are awful close to Vancouver and i am sure that plenty of people that are Canucks fans.

2. The uncertainty of the market viability.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Hamilton Cougars (From Atlanta)

Can she be the mascot?

220px-WendyCrewson06TIFF.jpg

Wendy Crewson

Or maybe this one?

442px-Allsaints4.jpg

Nicole Appleton

(Both women were born in Hamilton, and I think qualify as potential cougars.)

Also...

Western Conference:

Gulf Division:

Tampa Bay Lightning

Dallas Stars

Houston Aeros (From Nashville)

St. Louis Blues

Tampa in the West?

There was to many team in the eastern area. I know it sound weird, but is it any different than Nashville, Columbus or Detroit being in the West. The closest team to Tampa was Houston, so I put them in the Gulf division. Also, I put a team in both markets, because I am sure than can handle them. Denver and Minnesota did pretty good the second time around. I'm sure than Seattle and Portland would too.

Bull. And. :censored:.

Jealous of Philly?

I say again. Bull.

Like we have anything to be jealous of you for. 0 super bowls, one world series, two stanley cups....yep......thats ALOT to be jealous of when you already have 5 super bowls, 5 world series, and two stanley cups.

There is no way in hell I will ever be jealous of philly, especially with people like you liking it so much.

Penguins? Tanking?

HUGE, freaking annoying, illogical, and beat to the ground, crock of bull :censored:

THE. PENGUINS. NEVER. TANKED.. GET OVER IT.

Tell me. How does it feel to put down your own team like that.

Because you are. Dont say you arent.

Saying a team tanked against your team is putting down your team. If you were a smart fan (oh who am I kidding) you would brag about how you beat us, not say that we "tanked".

The fact that I and pens fans are willing to admit we lost to you, and that you and most philly fans must say our real loss was a "tank" speaks volumes about both of us, and our fanbases at large.

We still beat y---no----we still killed you in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh? A POS city?

Also HUGE bull. Pittsburgh is one of the finest cities youll see. bar none. Yeah, you can wave all that "big city" crap in our faces all you want. The truth is, nobody really cares except people with ties to Philly.......and those in Harrisburg.

Neither the pens, or flyers, are the ones who need contracted. Theyre both 1967 expansion teams, they both have huge fanbases, they both have won multiple championships, and both have had winning times in their cities, along with pretty vivid histories.

But you CAN NOT. I say again. CAN NOT say to me, that if I had said that the flyers need ousted first, that you wouldnt have responded saying that they didnt, or that the pens did.

Dont try to say you wouldnt, because you me and everyone else knows you would. So dont pull that "yep, you said my team needs contracted, and not yours. youre a hypocrite" :censored: on me. Its really nothing more than a trick used to make yourself seem wittier than another person, and is pretty hypocritical, because seriously, who would say their team needs contracted?

Seriously, fans like you make me so sick.

Wow... I think we've unearthed a worse post than any of my, um, "escapades" into homerism in the college football thread.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Its an ok idea but I dont think that there is going to be that much moving around.

Pretty much was in the 1990's.

Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg, Minnesota plus teams added in Tampa Bay, Ottawa, San Jose, Anaheim, Minnesota, Columbus and Atlanta.

I have 10 teams in 15 years, the 1990's had 11 in 9 years.

Some Naming Ideas

Eastern Conference:

Canadian East Division:

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Voyageurs Nordiques (From Brooklyn/Hartford/Carolina)

Central Divison:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Hamilton Cougars Tigers (From Atlanta)

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Metro Division:

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Boston Bruins

Atlantic Division:

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets.

Western Conference:

Gulf Division:

Tampa Bay Lightning

Dallas Stars

St. Louis Blues

West Divison:

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

Kansas City Storm Scouts (From Long Island)

Colorado Avalanche

Canadian West Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Pacific Divison:

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Seattle Rush Metropolitans (Expansion)

Portland Panthers Buckaroos (Expansion)

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Some Naming Ideas

Eastern Conference:

Canadian East Division:

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Voyageurs Nordiques (From Brooklyn/Hartford/Carolina)

Central Divison:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Hamilton Cougars Tigers (From Atlanta)

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Metro Division:

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Boston Bruins

Atlantic Division:

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Columbus Blue Jackets.

Western Conference:

Gulf Division:

Tampa Bay Lightning

Dallas Stars

St. Louis Blues

West Divison:

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

Kansas City Storm Scouts (From Long Island)

Colorado Avalanche

Canadian West Division:

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Pacific Divison:

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Seattle Rush Metropolitans (Expansion)

Portland Panthers Buckaroos (Expansion)

Quebec Nordiques would only be doable if the Colorado Avalanche would allow them to (by way of trademark).

So I am going to change things up a bit. The Panthers actually move to Portland after their time in Orlando where they keep the name Panthers. And the group that I originally had buying the Panthers, get an expansion team for Halifax. Also, coming up. I am working on a concept for the Panthers (hence the change of history) and I have a New York Rangers set coming up as well. I have a couple ideas for other teams as well. And just sayin'...there is no way in hell I am letting a team be named the Buckaroos, Metropolitans or the Scouts. The Tigers is too close to Tiger-Cats for Hamilton and the Scouts and Nordiques are trademarked names.

So I am going to change things up a bit. The Panthers actually move to Portland after their time in Orlando where they keep the name Panthers. And the group that I originally had buying the Panthers, get an expansion team for Halifax. Also, coming up. I am working on a concept for the Panthers (hence the change of history) and I have a New York Rangers set coming up as well. I have a couple ideas for other teams as well. And just sayin'...there is no way in hell I am letting a team be named the Buckaroos, Metropolitans or the Scouts. The Tigers is too close to Tiger-Cats for Hamilton and the Scouts and Nordiques are trademarked names.

Wait...you won't have any team in Salt Lake like the first time around? :P

Wait...you won't have any team in Salt Lake like the first time around? :P

Since the first time, things have happened that I didn't think would happen. I see the Lightning behing viable long term, and even the Hurricanes to an extent. I wanted to put a team in Salt Lake City, but I just didn't have enough teams to do so. I think Halifax, Brooklyn, Tampa, Houston and Carolina having a teams basically marked the end for one in Salt Lake. I change me mind every few days though. Like if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, I'll change that.

Anyway here is my logos for the Portland Pathers. During the teams tenure in Orlando, they used the 3rd jersey scheme that the team currently wears.

Primary Logo

PortlandPanthers1.png

Alternate Logo

PortlandPanthers.png

I didn't vectorize yet because I just wanted to get a sense of how you felt about it. C&C please :)

Archived