Detroit Lions opener almost Blacked Out

Luigi74

What a joke, why would anyone buy $500 worth of furniture just for the perk of watching the Lions get thumped by the Packers.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ORTS01/80911033

People weren't going to buy the tickets at the regular price, so why would they pay $500 for tickets and low-quality furniture? :blink:

The Lions are saying tickets aren't selling because of the economy. I can see that with the Red Wings, but I think the Lions' on-field product the past 8 years (now 31-82) is keeping people away.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

What a joke, why would anyone buy $500 worth of furniture just for the perk of watching the Lions get thumped by the Packers.

People weren't going to buy the tickets at the regular price, so why would they pay $500 for tickets and low-quality furniture? :blink:

The Lions are saying tickets aren't selling because of the economy. I can see that with the Red Wings, but I think the Lions' on-field product the past 8 years (now 31-82) is keeping people away.

Only the past 8 years? Try the last 40 years. Everyone back home that I know who grew up with the Lions all follow other NFL teams. And most of them care more about U of Michigan football then anything else anyway.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Only the past 8 years? Try the last 40 years. Everyone back home that I know who grew up with the Lions all follow other NFL teams. And most of them care more about U of Michigan football then anything else anyway.

Actually, it's more like 50 years, but Millen's 8-year reign has been the worst stretch and has probably done the most damage to the Lions.

Bloodhound.gif

Fans have been ultra loyal to William Clay Ford that the Silverdome was always sold out and they came back to the city when Ford Field was build with less seats. Ford still makes money off or TV, but only lost $3 millions in operations last season. He is a billionaire. He does not care. The fans do, but I agree that Millen has worn out his welcome. As this article states, "Nationally, people think the Lions are irrelevant 364 days of a year. The 365th day is Thanksgiving -- when everybody wonders why the Lions are on TV?"

A Lions Boycott Ignores Reality

Just go to their business section and see how in peril the Michigan economy is. To rub salt in the wound, former Mexican President Vicente Fox told them, to basically get over all your job losses. "As long as you have salaries of $15 to $20 an hour, you will keep losing jobs to economies that pay $5 an hour," Fox said.

I"m not sure I can go that far.

Maybe shorten it, but I agree with the blackout rule in principle.

I disagree with any rule that threatens to black out games in publicly-funded stadiums.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was the furniture salesman

?
Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I would rather have seen the Lions game blacked-out, that was a terrible 1st half and last 6:00 mins. of the fourth.

The last 5-6:00 of the fourth was so bad it was hilarious. Just when you think the Lions run out of ideas to lose games, Kitna comes in and plays catch with the Green Bay cornerbacks. Epic Fail! :D

Bloodhound.gif

I"m not sure I can go that far.

Maybe shorten it, but I agree with the blackout rule in principle.

I disagree with any rule that threatens to black out games in publicly-funded stadiums.

The city, county, and state will make more money from taxes and their cut of tickets, concessions, and parking if the game is sold out. In Detroit the city owns most of the lots used for Lions games and they get the huge tax charged on parking in their lots and the private lots.

Archived