Portland Oregon baseball team concept

tampatony21

Hey guys I am new to the site and love all the work and idea you guys come up with. I would like to ask a favor of anyone. I am doing a sports marketing project for my college and have choosen the Portland Orgeon area to bring a MLB team to in 2012. I was wondering if you guys had any idea of colors, logos, and team name. I was thinking Oregon Outlaws but not sure on colors. If anyone could help me out and show me a couple uniform and logo conepts I would greatly apprecitate it very much.

Thanks

Personally, I think the scheme they've got now would place them in the top 5 among MLB clubs:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

But if you must lose the traditional name, I'd look to "Herons," the official bird of the city of Portland. Would lend itself to a nice blue and gray color scheme as well.

I'm always a fan of cities creating an identity by using the same (or similar) colors for multiple or all their sports teams (Knicks/Mets, or Seahawks/Mariners/Sounders, etc.) And with the Blazers being such a staple for Portland, it'd be cool if a major league baseball team used Black, Red, Silver also. The Beavers had that color scheme but switched for some reason (although Gothamite is right, what they have now is beautiful).

For names, the herons is good, or something to do with their nickname "The city of Roses" - like the "Thorns", maybe something to do with crazy amount of microbreweries in the area, although "Brewers is already taken", maybe the "Salmon" or "Trout" or something fish related. I dunno, just spit-ballin some ideas.

The Oregon Loggers or the Oregon Lumberjacks would be decent names I think. The lumberjacks would certainly fit for the Blazers color scheme if you wanted to keep that the same.

i like lumberjacks.

or something based off some stuff like that. I always think of the show axmen when I think of Oregon.

Personally, I think the scheme they've got now would place them in the top 5 among MLB clubs:

But if you must lose the traditional name, I'd look to "Herons," the official bird of the city of Portland. Would lend itself to a nice blue and gray color scheme as well.

I agree. when did they stop wearing the cluttered "beaver P" caps? i thought the only cap with a stand alone P was the white alternate.....I have been playing with a PDX baseball concept for years using Lookouts, for the abundance of fire lookouts in oregon. i was using a forest/olive/gold palette.

IMHO, I like the major-league teams who use the names of the city's old minor-league team to pay homage to that history:

EXAMPLES:

Milwaukee Brewers

Los Angeles Angels

San Diego Padres

Florida (well, Miami anyway) Marlins

Therefore, I think the highest level of baseball in Portland should ALWAYS be called the Portland Beavers (which is why the Portland Rockies failed).

Who's with me?

v40P3lq.png

I agree. when did they stop wearing the cluttered "beaver P" caps? i thought the only cap with a stand alone P was the white alternate.....I have been playing with a PDX baseball concept for years using Lookouts, for the abundance of fire lookouts in oregon. i was using a forest/olive/gold palette.

I believe it's photoshopped to show the little change that could be made to make this set damn near perfect.

Herons is the best name so far. The Great Blue Heron is a common sight along the Columbia and Willamette rivers, which both run through Portland. Lumberjacks is already taken by the local lacrosse club. Portlanders are very attached to the Beavers moniker for baseball, since they've been in town since the '40s. Chinook is also a good name for the team, as they are also very common in both aforementioned rivers.

I'd stay away from using an "Oregon" moniker as well - the rest of the state tends to get a little perturbed when Portland represents the state. There's a lot of diversity in Oregon, and people not from Portland are fiercely proud of the individuality of their part of the state, especially in the southern and eastern parts.

OD_Signature.jpg

Herons is the best name so far. The Great Blue Heron is a common sight along the Columbia and Willamette rivers, which both run through Portland. Lumberjacks is already taken by the local lacrosse club. Portlanders are very attached to the Beavers moniker for baseball, since they've been in town since the '40s. Chinook is also a good name for the team, as they are also very common in both aforementioned rivers.

I'd stay away from using an "Oregon" moniker as well - the rest of the state tends to get a little perturbed when Portland represents the state. There's a lot of diversity in Oregon, and people not from Portland are fiercely proud of the individuality of their part of the state, especially in the southern and eastern parts.

Then again, some of those Jeffersonians arent fiercely proud of oregon, either...

as for the name it'll always be the beaver, but it the city has limitless potential for team names. chinook is a great name, but with the rash of MiLB fish names, it might be a little bush league. Ive played around with Lookouts, Foresters, Expiditions (when there was talk of Montreal moving;Expos--->Expids;a stretch, iknow), and jokingly, Trailers (works for Oregon Trail and the place where Oregon residents cook their meth).

Dude, the State of Jefferson is in california...it does not exist in Oregon.

the barn is in california, but the state extends right up into douglas county. not nearly as flashy as my idea of combining n. callifornia and oregon into "califoregon"

mapofjefferson1.jpg

and a great seal, with the two x's symbolizing the double cross from salem and sacramento.Jefferson_state_seal1.jpg

Archived