49ers Release Jeff Garcia

sc49erfan15

snipped from Yahoo Sports:

Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released by the San Francisco 49ers on

Tuesday, ending his five-year tenure with the team.

The 49ers also released two-time Pro Bowl guard Ron Stone in an attempt to get under the salary cap.

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowler, was unable to agree on a restructured contract with the 49ers, who

wanted to reduce his salary from the $9.9 million he was scheduled to earn in 2004.

Instead, San Francisco will save $1.7

million against the salary cap by dropping

Garcia, a local product who holds the

franchise's single-season record for

passing yardage. He has been the 49ers'

starter since 1999, but Tim Rattay is

expected to take over next season as San

Francisco clears room under the salary

cap.

The 49ers waited until the last possible

day to make their decision, since Garcia

was due a $500,000 roster bonus

Wednesday -- the first day of the free agent

signing period. General manager Terry

Donahue delayed his expected Monday

announcement to hold a last-ditch

negotiation session with Garcia's agent,

Steve Baker.

``We made this decision based primarily on cap ramifications,'' Donahue said. ``The reality of it is

we're going along with a plan we've established. In our view of things, we took the long-term view. This

isn't anyone's fault, there are just things we've got to do.''

Garcia was about to enter the fourth season of a six-year contract. Instead, he becomes one of the

most attractive free agents on the market.

Rattay, Garcia's longtime backup, probably will lead a rebuilt San Francisco squad that will bear little

resemblance to the team that won the NFC West and reached the conference semifinals in 2002.

``As we see it, the future looks really bright,'' Donahue said. ``This team now belongs to (Rattay), the

job is his to keep.''

Four-time Pro Bowl receiver Terrell Owens is all but certain to depart, while running back Garrison

Hearst and offensive lineman Derrick Deese also have been waived. More veteran starters, including

safety Zack Bronson, are expected to be released soon -- and others will leave as free agents.

Stone made the 2002 Pro Bowl after signing with San Francisco as a free agent. He was an anchor on

an offensive line that looks incredibly shaky now without Deese, a 12-year veteran, and Stone -- who

also couldn't agree on a restructured contract.

Rattay, who signed a three-year, $4.8 million contract extension last August, went 2-1 as a starter while

Garcia was injured last season. He was a record-setting quarterback at Louisiana Tech, but threw just

three passes in his first two seasons with San Francisco.

Ken Dorsey and Brandon Doman are the 49ers' backups, but neither has appeared in an NFL game.

After the 49ers finished 7-9, coach Dennis Erickson said he wanted Garcia to return -- but also praised

Rattay's development.

Garcia's departure is the biggest step yet in what's shaping up to be another rebuilding effort for the

49ers, who also rebuilt from scratch after Steve Young was forced to retire in 1999. Unlike last season,

when nearly every starter returned, only a few starters from 2003 are certain to be back.

Under the tenure of owner John York, the 49ers seem to be focused primarily on the bottom line. That's

a departure from the years when the 49ers were owned by York's brother-in-law, Eddie DeBartolo, who

usually spent whatever was necessary to keep his stars and field a talented team.

The Niners' top priority is salary cap health. Donahue is determined to erase the team's ``dead money''

-- the millions still owed to players no longer with the team, thanks to countless contract

re-negotiations over the past five years -- even if the 49ers aren't nearly as competitive next season.

The demolition began last month when the 49ers named All-Pro linebacker Julian Peterson their

exclusive franchise player rather than meet his demands for a lucrative long-term contract. San

Francisco is expected to pay Peterson a salary between $5.8 million and $7.2 million next season.

Owens is still under contract to the 49ers, pending a grievance hearing over his contract mix-up.

Owens' agent missed a deadline to void the final three years of his contract, but claims he wasn't told

about a change in the deadline.

The 49ers are expected to trade Owens for draft picks.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

wow what a stupid move?release jeff garcia the man who holds the isngle season passing franchise record beating Joe Monatana and Steve Young for Tim Rattay? :rolleyes:

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I know of one person who will be happy about this... and heres a hint... he doesnt like the colour brown... yeah i think 49ers really shot themselves in the foot with this move... if Rattay can settle in they will look like geniuses but its more likely that Garcia will come back to haunt them

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Looks like I'm wearing a hat to 49er games this season...a paper bag.

This is awful. The Yorks and Donahue (along with Walsh) signed Garcia to the deal. Proving once again York and his puppets (Donahue and Erickson) have absolutely no idea how to run an NFL franchise.

I will take the under. I'll say 2-14, with the two wins vs. Arizona, providing Donahue doesn't get the idea to sign Owen Pochman AGAIN

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

This is awful. The Yorks and Donahue (along with Walsh) signed Garcia to the deal. Proving once again York and his puppets (Donahue and Erickson) have absolutely no idea how to run an NFL franchise.

I will take the under. I'll say 2-14, with the two wins vs. Arizona, providing Donahue doesn't get the idea to sign Owen Pochman AGAIN

However, they run a better franchise than the Argos! :D Say, where are you getting the paper bag? Costco?

I saw, I came, I left.

Hmmm, I don't think the problem was Jeff Garcia. He seemed to do well when Marriucci was the coah. In fact the whole team seemed to do well when he was the coach. Maybe the problem is the coach with the career below .500 record. Of course these are my observation form across I-80 at the other end of the country.

This is awful.  The Yorks and Donahue (along with Walsh) signed Garcia to the deal.  Proving once again York and his puppets (Donahue and Erickson) have absolutely no idea how to run an NFL franchise.

I will take the under.  I'll say 2-14, with the two wins vs. Arizona, providing Donahue doesn't get the idea to sign Owen Pochman AGAIN

However, they run a better franchise than the Argos! :D Say, where are you getting the paper bag? Costco?

Now, OK, lets not say things we can't take back... :D

I guess the 49ers are rebuilding now, since they will trade TO too according to most reports.

Maybe Ken Dorsey will be good I think he was very underrated in college and should have won the Heisman in 2001.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm sure another NFL team will take him, this means I get to quit cheering for the Niners! (Well actually I was cheering for Garcia)--Hopefully he'll go to a team I like this time.

(See--I can make it through a GArcia comment without mentioning--well you know)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Are you guys kidding me? You actually think this is a bad move by the 49ers? I'm utterly shocked at the negative reaction at this move. Garcia didnt play very good -- while he may be one of the better scramblers in the league, he's awful when contained to the pocket. And isn't there a certain All-Pro WR who'm he didn't get the ball to enough?

I'm 100% positive Owens bad year was due to the fact that even when wide open and being covered by Adam Archuleta in the Rams game, Garcia never gave Owens a second look with the exception of the game tieing TD.

Besides, in the few games Rattay played he played better, and the team played better. You have to make a QB switch eventually, Garcia ain't exactly a baby -- Why not do it now?

You guys are the first I've seen or talked to that are actually against dropping Garcia. Let's see what he does without those weapons he had in SF. I pity the team that picks him up.

If they pick up Rashaun Woods, there WR's will be Lloyd, Woods, and Cedrick Wilson -- It looks just as good with any of the Williams' too. I'd take that ANY day of the week. And they're actually being loyal towardsa RB this year. This team probably won't make the playoffs -- but this year probably won't be much worse from last year.

By the way -- How did Garcia do when Owens didn't play?

IUe6Hvh.png

oh this is a great day to be a 49ers fan! :D

intheend put it exactly as it is. Garcia is done. His talent was questionable to begin with, but now that hes 34, is injury prone, and thinks hes worth $10M, hes even more expendable

I say as of now Rattay is the man, but I want to see him have to battle for that job. Just about everyone I know is eager to see what Ken Dorsey could do. Also releasing Deese and Stone means we will need to go after at least one experienced offensive lineman, because its pretty clear that Kwame Harris has earned his spot on the line. Also there is no "running back controversey" with Hearst's release, there is no question now who the number one man is - Kevan Barlow. Im planning on getting me a white barlow jersey before next season starts seeing as how I dont need that white Hearst one anymore!

in conclusion, if youre a 49ers fan this is a great move! Of course I would like to see if we can hold on to TO but lets face it hes getting dealt. Our offense is gonna have growing pains but I love our young defense and next season I fully expect them to be at least a top 5 unit in the NFL and give us somewhat of a chance

I wouldn't be shocked if he just skipped across the bay to the Raiders. He's old, overpaid, and an a-hole. Of course he'll be wearing the silver and black.

Well last offseason the Chargers got rid of Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison. The year prior they had gotten rid of John Carney. This offseason they've gotten rid of Darrien Bennet, RayLee Johnson, and Marcellus Wiley. Next year look for them to release Donnie Edwards and LaDanian Tomlinson. It's all part of their attempt to move from San Diego. That or they really want to go 0-16. They should go after a QB in the draft so they have LT, Jammer, and the new QB to sign and still stay under the cap. HA! Thank God I'm a Buccaneers fan. We just have to let Sapp go, keep Lynch, and find a top of the line QB somewhere.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Yeah -- and since we would've had to lose Owens to begin. We might as well get something in return. I've heard a few things including Donte Stallworth and a 1st round pick. I can't help but be all in glee for the 49ers future :D .

And amen for that white Hearst Jersey. I'm thinkin' about gettin' me one, as well!

IUe6Hvh.png

ESPN reported the Riaders are intersted in Garcia I think it is a very good chance he could be staying in the Bay Area this time wearing Black and Silver.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Now, OK, lets not say things we can't take back... :D

Actually I can take it back. I can just EDIT the quote!

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived