Luongo Canucks captain.

oddball

It was announced today that Roberto Luongo was named the Vancouver Canucks captain. No, he can't wear the "C", I think it has to do with receiving a penalty for leaving the crease. Three others were named alternate captains.

It was announced today that Roberto Luongo was named the Vancouver Canucks captain. No, he can't wear the "C", I think it has to do with receiving a penalty for leaving the crease. Three others were named alternate captains.

Can he wear the "C" and not leave the crease, and let one of the alternate captains handle the penalty discussions instead?

This is... kinda dumb.

Couldn't agree anymore.

Yes, he's their best player, but come on! The NHL made a rule that goalies can't be Captians.

This is the equivilant to teams choosing a "kids captain" who gets to skate with the team during warmups, take a picture, then watches the game from a free seat.

It's all just honorary, and let's face it, that means pretty much zero.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This is... kinda dumb.

Couldn't agree anymore.

Yes, he's their best player, but come on! The NHL made a rule that goalies can't be Captians.

This is the equivilant to teams choosing a "kids captain" who gets to skate with the team during warmups, take a picture, then watches the game from a free seat.

It's all just honorary, and let's face it, that means pretty much zero.

Now I'm not sure how Luongo is in the locker room, but maybe he is always the guy to take control in the locker room or at practice and the Canucks just wanted to acknowledge that although he can't wear the C, he is the leader of the team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wonder if any goalie in the NHL has ever worn either a C or A.....

I know there were goalies back in the early NHL days, pre-original 6, possibly even early original 6 who got the "C".

I believe the rule was made because a goalie for the Leafs (I forget which one, I want to say Turk Broda, but I could be WAY off, just trying to go off memory) would skate out of the crease constantly to go speak to the refs about questionable calls. The NHL decided this was delaying the game, and added in the rule that the goalie can't wear the "C" anymore.

I know the story to be true (read it in the official illustrated NHL history book) but I forget which goalie specifically. I'm sure he wasn't the only goalie to do this of course, but he probably was most likely the straw that broke the camel's back.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Wikipedia acklowledges this but it also states that it's unnofficial. If Willie Mitchell will handle all captaincy duties, why not just give him the C already.

Maybe they know that the power would go to his head and they need to keep his ego in check. :D

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Wikipedia acklowledges this but it also states that it's unnofficial. If Willie Mitchell will handle all captaincy duties, why not just give him the C already.

Agree, stupid everyone already new that Luongo was the real captain last year with Naslund, no need to reinforce it. Mike Gillis is trying to hard to be original.

So Luongo is the captain but can't deal with the referees, do the ceremonial face-offs, or wear the C?

Why make the guy captain if he's not allowed to perform any of the duties outlined as the Captain?

And aren't most goalies locker room leaders anyways? Why make this an invisible reenforcement?

Stupid

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And aren't most goalies locker room leaders anyways?

From my experience, no. Goalies tend to be the shy, quiet ones. Sure, there are exceptions (Patrick Roy), but I'm sure he was as quiet as a mouse in the room. Focus and all that nonsense.

By the way, the last official goalie captain was Bill Durnan back in 1948.

From my experience, no. Goalies tend to be the shy, quiet ones. Sure, there are exceptions (Patrick Roy), but I'm sure he was as quiet as a mouse in the room. Focus and all that nonsense.

Most goalies are nut jobs. Gilles Gratton, anyone?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Most goalies are nut jobs. Gilles Gratton, anyone?

Yeah, either nut jobs or really quiet. Never in between.

I wonder if any goalie in the NHL has ever worn either a C or A.....

I believe Ken Dryden wore the C for at least one game, maybe in the All-Star game or something (or Jacques Plante)

I do remember years ago a Bud Ice commercial featuring a goalie with a C and I thought how weird that was. It was a Maple Leaf goalie I believe...that is, if I remember it correctly. I also wouldn't throw out the fact that it could've been preseason footage used and he wore it just then or something. I don't know...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived