Player Statues

yoo

This is the other statue outside the United Center. It is really quite cool as the front shows off the jersey across different eras and the back has every player's name that has played for the Hawks and their years of service. Pretty Sweet

hawksstatue.jpg

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the Babe at Camden Yards...all other O's players just have large silver metal numbers about 4 feet tall.

I like what Baltimore had done. Statues are pretty cool, but I think having anymore than one is overkill. One for the player that best represents the city or team is enough. You can still honor the other guys with big retired number (as the O's have done). I'll admit the Tigers idea is pretty cool, seeing the statues over the retired numbers. But I still think one right outside the stadium is enough.

• 4 weeks later...
kinda sad, but these are the only statues outside the Rogers Centre. Fans, i suppose?

They really need to get a Joe Carter or Dave Stieb statue down near the fountain/plaza area.

I'd really like to see them put up a few... Carter hitting the WS homer, Alomar's pose after the 92 ALCS HR, maybe Stieb after his no-hitter, and a Tom Cheek one would be nice.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

And the Babe at Camden Yards...all other O's players just have large silver metal numbers about 4 feet tall.

For example . . .

CIMG6570.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

kinda sad, but these are the only statues outside the Rogers Centre. Fans, i suppose?

They really need to get a Joe Carter or Dave Stieb statue down near the fountain/plaza area.

I'd really like to see them put up a few... Carter hitting the WS homer, Alomar's pose after the 92 ALCS HR, maybe Stieb after his no-hitter, and a Tom Cheek one would be nice.

Roberto Alomar Suggestion

alomar_arms_getty_260.jpg

Joe Carter Suggestion

040706carter.jpg

Here are a few from my travels:

Stan the Man - Busch Stadium III, St. Louis, MO -- 2008:

Cards014.JPG

Stan the Man - Busch Stadium II, St. Louis, MO -- 1977:

Cards01.jpg

"Sparty" - Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI -- 2006:

Spartans015.JPG

The Bear - Legion Field, Birmingham, AL -- 2008:

Legion%20Field006.JPG

The Tide - Denny-Bryant Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL - 2008:

Tide035.JPG

Frank Leahy - Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, IN -- 2005:

Irish04.JPG

---

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Not the greatest picture (just did an image search, since I don't have a camera to take a picture of my own), but here is a statue of Ralphie outside of Folsom Field.

66.jpg

The CU people have also just recently installed another Ralphie statue outside of the Coors Event Center (basketball/volleyball arena) - that one is standing on a pedestal.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Bold statement: building statues of the animal-based team name is for lamewads. Panthers and ponies and whatever else is generally pretty sorry-ass, especially that Broncos thing at the bottom of the first page. It's like the garden of a tacky rich person's house.

Wild Wing is its own category of sports bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Robin Roberts:

PHI8.jpg

(I like the B&W effect going on)

Gotta say I disagree. That statue looks creepy and awful.

I guess I just prefer the classic bronze, like this one of Saint Bobby:

198380374_5174e9d1ff.jpg

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

...And if they ever give him one in Baltimore:

alomar-spit8.jpg

...And if they ever give him one in Baltimore:

alomar-spit8.jpg

Oddly enough that incident happened in Toronto

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Bold statement: building statues of the animal-based team name is for lamewads. Panthers and ponies and whatever else is generally pretty sorry-ass, especially that Broncos thing at the bottom of the first page. It's like the garden of a tacky rich person's house.

Wild Wing is its own category of sports bad.

[gets out hometown bias]

What's wrong with a statue of an animal? I'd much rather have animal statues than a statue of a dead guy staring at me. To me, the pack of Broncos symbolizes the team as a whole, and how they all run together. You'd lose that sense of team unity if there was a huge statue of Elway at the top of the stairs. The running Broncos are not only unifying, but eternal, something you don't get with a handful of creepy-looking dead guys. Plus, they double as a fountain and look pretty cool lit up at night or covered in snow.

[/blatant bias]

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Archived