New Pepsi products logos in the works

buzzcut

Why do you go to a restaurant and order a Coke whether they serve Coke or Pepsi, because Coke has established itself as the brand and has not changed and is reliable in look and taste.

You DO realize that your statement is a regional thing, and not everyone does that, don't you?

Please - a very large percentage of posters on here have no idea what any bit of the world is like outside of the little piece that they occupy - and based on a few threads, most of those never care to find out. Not necessarily directed to oddball, but in general.

Not that you care to hear (i.e. READ) it, but most of the people I know practice this very ordering technique. Hell, when I have company, I ask my guests 'Would you like a Coke or anything', regardless of what I have in the refrigerator.

The the friends I have that don't do that ask, but ask "Do you serve Coke or Pepsi products?", always with Coke first.

Coke rules the American Midwest (and the South, from what I can tell) with an iron fist.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you go to a restaurant and order a Coke whether they serve Coke or Pepsi, because Coke has established itself as the brand and has not changed and is reliable in look and taste.

You DO realize that your statement is a regional thing, and not everyone does that, don't you?

Please - a very large percentage of posters on here have no idea what any bit of the world is like outside of the little piece that they occupy - and based on a few threads, most of those never care to find out. Not necessarily directed to oddball, but in general.

Not that you care to hear (i.e. READ) it, but most of the people I know practice this very ordering technique. Hell, when I have company, I ask my guests 'Would you like a Coke or anything', regardless of what I have in the refrigerator.

The the friends I have that don't do that ask, but ask "Do you serve Coke or Pepsi products?", always with Coke first.

Coke rules the American Midwest (and the South, from what I can tell) with an iron fist.

Coke being the favorite soda and Coke being synonymous with soda are two different things.

Yes, Coke is the dominant cola in most of America.

No, most people do not refer to all soda as Coke. That is totally regional. In many regions it is known as pop. Others as soda.

The only one that is correct is Soda.

;)

First thing I ask in a restaurant I'm not familiar with - do you serve Coke or Pepsi products? If they serve Coke, I'll have a Coke or, more likely, a Diet Coke. If it's Pepsi, I drink water or sweetened tea.

nav-logo.png

No, I really don't think that is regional at all. I am from Canada and everyone orders a Coke! Not Pepsi!!! I've heard so often "Is Pepsi OK?" from waitresses after I've ordered a Coke. It's not regional it's universal!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Oh, and here are the Pepsi cans. The fail just as miserably, if not more...

2vwix7a.jpg

That Sierra Mist can is HORRID.

I wish they'd go back to the 2003 design for the Pepsi cans; don't fix it if it ain't broke! That or the 1998 design.

And in all honesty Sierra Mist should go back to this:

Serria_mist.jpg

I don't care if it looks like it jumped out of 1998, I still prefer it.

ffsfasfd.gifsigyj5.png

No, I really don't think that is regional at all. I am from Canada and everyone orders a Coke! Not Pepsi!!! I've heard so often "Is Pepsi OK?" from waitresses after I've ordered a Coke. It's not regional it's universal!!!

Well.

You're wrong. It's not just certain regions. But it is regional.

If you're talking about ordering a coke when you want a cola, that's a whole 'nother story.

That's really not much different than me order Mr. Pibb and being asked if Dr. Pepper is fine.

We all have our preferences and order those if we don't think about it. And yes, Coke is dominant everywhere.

But what's regional is coke being a synonym for soda.

I don't even know if the words exist yet to describe how horrendously awful that Sierra Mist can is. What the hell were they thinking?

First thing I thought of upon looking at it was the Blair Witch Project.

And I agree Tank, I prefer Pepsi as well (Coke's too sweet for me, and it's coincidential I live in the metro area where the Pepsi Center is).

ffsfasfd.gifsigyj5.png

Not sure what the point of this was supposed to be, but all you did is reinforce my post.

Just to stay on topic - now that I've seen the results, I'm impressed with the pepsi rebrand (just pepsi - not Mtn DEW!1!) I think the globes should have maintained more of a classic swirl to them, but they pulled the first batch of bottles and cans very well, and I think they've set themselves up for some great variations in the months / years to come. What happens to Cherry Pepsi? Is that gone, or will it be repackaged like this too?

Oh - and I'm digging the swirlie-"e" even more now. Nice job.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Mtn Dew Voltage"? Well, that is some confused imagery there.

"Mountain Dew" had been a brand that, true to the suggestions of its name, traded in imagery that was natural, outdoorsy, even rustic. Didn't they once run ads showing a group of kids swinging on a tire over the ol' swimmin' hole, and other such homespun scenes?

The word "voltage", a word carrying imagery of "energy" and "speed", would be a fitting complement to a name already possessing connotations of "power", such as "Gatorade". So, for instance, if the boys over at Pepsi were bringing out something called "Gatorade Voltage", then the connotations of these words would blend nicely -- and the metaphor of "athlete as finely tuned machine" would be lurking somewhere in the background, as a nice bonus.

But appending "voltage" to "Mountain Dew" creates a conceptual farrago. The best sense that the flailing brain can make out of this mess of colliding imagery ("rustic, countryside" meeting up with "electric, energetic") may be something like: the arrival in Mayberry of the first telegraph pole.

A very disappointing turn for my favourite soda. And I drink Mountain Dew a lot, so I am going to have to look quite often at that new "Mtn Dew" wordmark. (I have the urge to pronounce "mountain" without the vowels, in the manner of Michael Palin as the newsreader in the "Michael Ellis" sketch, saying "-nd of announcement".)

Mountain Dew has many variations, and Mountain Dew Voltage was the newest one released just this summer. It beat out Mountain Dew Supernova and Mountain Dew Revolution during the summer DEWmocracy. Other Mountain Dew's are: Diet Mountain Dew, Caffeine-free Mountain Dew, Diet Caffeine-free Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Diet Code Red, Mountain Dew LiveWire, Mountain Dew Baja Blast, and Mountain Dew AMP (which is now officially known as AMP Energy and comes in regular Mountain Dew and Mountain Dew Code Red flavors).

Archived