Lack of Jewish Universities in NCAA

gueman

Brandeis University Football?

I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking it.

It's because their mommies are too worried that their poor babies will break their backs playing rough and tumble football!

I applied to Brandeis... the only college I applied to without a football team. My mom wants me to meet a nice Jewish boy to marry! What an old tale.

Sounds like she must be from Merrick...or one of the 5 towns.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We just suck at sports. :)

All kidding aside...I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is no mainstream, officially Jewish university - athletics aside - on the scale of BYU, SMU, Notre Dame, etc. Judaism is not a very politically structured religion; we don't have religious figureheads like the Pope and Archbishops or a power hierarchy like the Mormon church to govern, mandate, or affiliate with universities. We are made up of a disparate range of sometimes vaguely defined denominations and movements - which have their own seminaries, but none with an official affiliation with a large, secular (in terms of educational aspirations) university. It takes a large school to field a competitive sports program to begin with, and it would take a school with very casual Jewish affiliation, like relaxed Sabbath rules and educational options beyond religious instruction, and a pool of potential students open to more than just the highly devout, to make the leap into big-time college athletics.

Just for a bit of clarification "Mormons" and no there is no Mormon church, the official name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but we picked up the nickname from the Book of Mormon, we do not have a power hierarchy at all. We do have positions in the church, but it isn't a hierarchy at all. Organization? Yes. Power hierarchy? No. We all hold positions within the church and are not paid for them, and if I have my knowledge correct, one of the only positions in the church that is paid by the church is the Church Educational System, there might be another but I can't think of it. We hold what we term to be callings for a period of time and then are released and move to another calling where we hold stewardship over. Our positions are positions of stewardship, not power.

Oddball, You are a Mormon? I grew up in the church. My mom and dad still follows and goes every Sunday. I come from a family of 7 and half are still very much involved.

I am and been for a little over 12 years and am the only member in my family. As far as why there are no Jewish Universities that play major college sports, I think the question was answered when someone talked about the Jewish Sabbath. To me, being on the outside, I think the Jews really understand what the Sabbath is and would never compromise their beliefs for something as trivial as a sporting even, and the fact that most major college events seem to fall on Friday and Saturday, I can understand. Yet they could play their games on Thursday or Sunday, so there is that argument. In all reality, if there was a strong desire for a major Jewish University to play DI ball it could be done, I just don't see that desire from the Jewish community as a whole.

I think the best explanation is there aren't many athletically talented Jews. I always joke that I have to work 100x harder at sports than anybody else because I'm a jew. Haha.

And as for the money and jews joke, get over it guys, its not like you haven't heard it and laughed at it before.

kylekorversig1if2.png

I think the best explanation is there aren't many athletically talented Jews. I always joke that I have to work 100x harder at sports than anybody else because I'm a jew. Haha.

And as for the money and jews joke, get over it guys, its not like you haven't heard it and laughed at it before.

If jew jokes are okay then lets hear some black & gay jokes too.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

itsatrap.jpg

Did you hear the one about the black, gay, Jew? Of course not.

I saw, I came, I left.

Sammy Davis, Jr and Rod Carew. Two out of three ain't bad.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I would have gone with Isaac Mizrahi and Harvey Fierstein, but whatever. :P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's because their mommies are too worried that their poor babies will break their backs playing rough and tumble football!

I applied to Brandeis... the only college I applied to without a football team. My mom wants me to meet a nice Jewish boy to marry! What an old tale.

She was born in Massapequa and lived there until age 10, when she moved to Dix Hills. I lived in Jericho until age 14, when I moved to Georgia.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

She was born in Massapequa and lived there until age 10, when she moved to Dix Hills. I lived in Jericho until age 14, when I moved to Georgia.

You still haven't countered my posit on academic vs athletic endeavours.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hold on a second, missy. Is it this, or is it more of a predisposition towards academic over athletic pursuits?

I'm very sorry, Lee, that I didn't respond to your post. I didn't see it. Anyway, what I said was a joke, which I thought people would get. It is a running joke in my family to explain why the football team in my predominantly Jewish hometown in New York was so bad, and why my mom would never let my brother play football-- for that precise reason.

Anyway, yes, I do believe it is because of the academic thing. Brandeis is currently ranked #31 on US News and World Report's list of best National Universities, meaning it obviously has an extremely strong academic reputation. It is the first choice of my parents (for me to attend) not only because of the large percentage of Jews (53% as of 2006), but also because of its focus on academics compared to athletics and "partying." The students there tend to be more like me, they say, in that they are very nerdy and studious. I can't tell if that's a compliment or not. But I guess I have to learn to embrace the fact that I'm a total nerd.

Sorry for the ranting about me. I don't want to go to Brandeis, so that's why I'm ranting.

Sincerely,

"Missy"

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Still just two out of three. Anybody know if RuPaul is Jewish?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Still just two out of three. Anybody know if RuPaul is Jewish?

I leave it to you to check for aardvark or anteater.

And thanks for the tale, lbr. I originally thought, due to your tale of woe and nice Jewish boys, that you were, yourself, a tribe member, and therefore had some insight into the situation.

And good for you for standing your ground against mom; Jewish boys are nice and all, but the old story goes, "good provider, no peter," amiriteladiesangentlemen?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You're in the Canadian west, so I'll quote a certain Alaskan politician -- "Thanks, but no thanks."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

You're in the Canadian west, so I'll quote a certain Alaskan politician -- "Thanks, but no thanks."

The funny thing here is, an aardvark IS an anteater.

I meant "anteater or helmet." I apologize to the group.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

No apology necessary. I was obviously so aghast at the prospect of inspecting RuPaul's groin that I missed the error.

No apology necessary. I was obviously so aghast at the prospect of inspecting RuPaul's groin that I missed the error.

Better than Barney's Frank after a date with Fannie Mae!

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Better than Barney's Frank after a date with Fannie Mae!

Or was that Mark Henry going after Mae Young?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived