Lack of Jewish Universities in NCAA

gueman

The Catholics have Notre Dame, Boston Collage, Georgetown, Villanova and a few more. The Mormons have BYU. The Methodist have SMU, Baptists have Baylor, and Wake Forest. TCU represents the independent Christian Churches.

But why is there no Jewish universities on the same scale?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Catholics have Notre Dame, Boston Collage, Georgetown, Villanova and a few more. The Mormons have BYU. The Methodist have SMU, Baptists have Baylor, and Wake Forest. TCU represents the independent Christian Churches.

There is a lot. There just isnt any with a major sports team. Not sure why.

There is a lot. There just isnt any with a major sports team. Not too sure why.

That's what he's saying. Baltimore has a rather large Jewish college, but I don't even think they have intramurals.

Money. It costs money to field teams.

Why spend, when you can save?

Aside from Brandeis University outside of Boston, I don't know many Jewish universities that promote athletics. My guess is that Jewish athletes would rather go to schools with bigger athletic programs and have some emphasis on Jewish studies, rather than the other way around.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Hahahahaha it's funny because the jews hoard money and are cheap!!!!! <_<

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ouch.

We just suck at sports. :)

All kidding aside...I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is no mainstream, officially Jewish university - athletics aside - on the scale of BYU, SMU, Notre Dame, etc. Judaism is not a very politically structured religion; we don't have religious figureheads like the Pope and Archbishops or a power hierarchy like the Mormon church to govern, mandate, or affiliate with universities. We are made up of a disparate range of sometimes vaguely defined denominations and movements - which have their own seminaries, but none with an official affiliation with a large, secular (in terms of educational aspirations) university. It takes a large school to field a competitive sports program to begin with, and it would take a school with very casual Jewish affiliation, like relaxed Sabbath rules and educational options beyond religious instruction, and a pool of potential students open to more than just the highly devout, to make the leap into big-time college athletics.

Well, considering the credit crisis in the USA, I think citizens can learn a lesson on financial responsibility there.

I saw, I came, I left.

Hahahahaha it's funny because the jews hoard money and are cheap!!!!!

I don't usually say things like this but I sure as hell hope that you were joking. As one, I'm a little offended by that , even if it was a joke.

dodgers-1.png

I don't usually say things like this but I sure as hell hope that you were joking. As one, I'm a little offended by that , even if it was a joke.

So it's okay for Speedy to say that the Jews would rather save money than spend it on athletics, but for a mod to call him on it is wrong?

I'd say check your priorities, as well as the annoyed emoticon used in your quoted passage.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Funny - you quoted my post with out the little emoticon guy who's making what I would consider to be a peeved look at the text. Speedy's post was stupid. I was attempting to point out the stupidity. I'm fairly certain that it was obvious to everyone else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope that you are equally offended by the actual anti-Semitic, homophobic, and downright racist posts that people make around here, too.

You know, the ones without emoticons.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Back on topic just a little bit.

Look at it this way, how many Christians would want to attend a Jewish University. Schools like BYU, Notre Dame, TCU, SMU, etc have many programs/ events for other denominations or even for other faiths:

Here's a look at SMU (Southern Methodist University):

Religious Organizations:

Baha'i Club

Baptist Student Ministry

Campus Crusade for Christ

Catholic Campus Ministry

Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship

Christ Lutheran Church

Christian Legal Society

Christian Science Organization

Hillel/Jewish Students Association

Hindu Student Organization

Muslim Student Association

Mustangs for Christ

Orthodox Christian Fellowship

Reformed University Fellowship

ReJOYce in Jesus Ministries

Students for Spiritual Renewal

Victory Campus Ministry

Voices of Inspiration Gospel Choir

Wesley Foundation

Young Life

and another link to SMU Hillel

and at Notre Dame they have resources for Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and Protestants.

Well just think if there was a good Jewish university in sports they could take the QB and do the chair dance after every TD.

^_^

I'd love to see the hohra after a TD celebration. Hava Nagila!

Of course they'd be flagged (and if it were the NFL, say with Sage Rosenfels--fined).

However, a big reason too why they don't have it: There just aren't enough of us. Last estimate I heard, there's only about 17 million Jews worldwide--how many of those a) live in the states and not Israel, Europe, etc, B) are 18-22, c) play football and d) would be good enough to play at a D-1 scool. Something miniscule like that. There wouldn't be enough people to fill out all these schools and good enough to make these teams competitive. Also, that would assume that any Jew good enough to play would want to play for a Jewish school and not say, an SEC or Big 10 or Big 12 or whatever school.

And yes, the other reasons listed also play into it.

And I do remember hearing about an orthodox Jew (forget his name) who played hoops at Maryland (wasn't a starter or anything) but wouldn't play on the sabbath. He also played w/ a special yamaka that I guess was less prone to fall off during play.

I never had any intention of going to a school like Brandeis. If I were in that position, I still would've wanted to go to a school like Penn State. I'm just that kind of person. You know what I mean?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived