Bridge May Be Icy

CJR

speaking of which, what is with all these other states and numbering thier exits?

in california we didnt have numbered exits but over the past year now we are gradually starting to get them. To me its just....weird.

I guess Im just used to seeing the "Railroad Ave - Pittsburg" exit rather then "EXIT 24B" <_<

The Federal Highway Administration has started requiring a uniform numbering system for Interstate highways in order to receive funding from the feds. Most states already have the same system in place, numbering according to the mile markers. California was, I believe, the last state to have no exit numbers at all. Pennsylvania and Georgia have used a sequential numbering system (meaning, for example, that exits 1 and 2 could be many miles apart), which will be (or are already) changing as well.

I imagine the exit numbers to be mightily large on the 5 in the northern part of the state.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Federal Highway Administration has started requiring a uniform numbering system for Interstate highways in order to receive funding from the feds. Most states already have the same system in place, numbering according to the mile markers. California was, I believe, the last state to have no exit numbers at all. Pennsylvania and Georgia have used a sequential numbering system (meaning, for example, that exits 1 and 2 could be many miles apart), which will be (or are already) changing as well.

I imagine the exit numbers to be mightily large on the 5 in the northern part of the state.

New York uses sequential numbering on the NYS Thruway. I never thought much about it, but now it seems kind of retarded.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

climax.jpg

I've been to that town, Climax, Minnesota, the town motto is...

'Climax..more than just a feeling.'

They have shirts and stuff like that for it, and now kids are gettin onto trouble there for wearin them at school.

There's a Climax in Michigan, too, as well as I-69 and a that exit 69 onto a road called Big Beaver (pictured above).

Changing gears...

As I was driving down I-265 tonight (I'm in Louisville now, Alabama's many hours behind me), there was a sign that said something was "1.6 km" away. I know that's a mile, but I've never seen a metric sign in the US. I would have thought one would be closer to the border or something, not in Kentucky.

another thing that annoyed me when I was in chicago...

one night me and my buddy thought it would be cool to go drive up to kenosha, just to say thats yet another state we could cross off our "been there" list.

here in cali, you will see signs that tell you how many miles you have to go until you get to certain cities

example: (this isnt accurate btw, just a hyopthetical example)

Vacaville 5

Dixon 15

Sacramento 26

but on the I-94 between Chicago and Kenosha, there was no sign like that at all. I mean come on, shouldnt motorists have the right to know how far they are from wherever theyre going?

another thing....those damn "tollways"....I can understand paying a toll to cross a bridge, but dropping a quarter in some bucket just to drive a damn freeway??

and whats with the 55 mph speed limit? would it kill ya to increase it by 10 mph? :D

here in cali, you will see signs that tell you how many miles you have to go until you get to certain cities

example: (this isnt accurate btw, just a hyopthetical example)

Vacaville 5

Dixon 15

Sacramento 26

Speaking of that, I always found it funny when I saw signs on Interstate 5 northbound that say:

Bakersfield 30

Sacramento 435

San Francisco 435

Always made me catch myself thinking, are that THAT close together? :blink::D

NASCAR. Done. |

nextel_cup_logo.JPG

yet I-5 doesnt go anywhere NEAR San Francisco

I dont like that stretch of highway. Sorry but the whole central valley smells like cow dung! and all you see is farms, travel plazas, big rigs, and water towers. I had to drive out to Stockton yesterday and thats about all I saw out there, not to mention that signature odor I described. about the only thing differentiating California's central valley from say, anywhere in the midwest is the odd palm tree you see sprouting up here and there! :D

and whats with the 55 mph speed limit? would it kill ya to increase it by 10 mph? :D

No kidding. In Michigan the limit is 70 mph. It's only 65 in Indiana and Kentucky, it was driving me nuts over the last couple days. Thankfully, Tennessee and Alabama knew what they were doing, it's 70 there as well.

Guest -*CZzyzx41*-
yet I-5 doesnt go anywhere NEAR San Francisco

I dont like that stretch of highway. Sorry but the whole central valley smells like cow dung! and all you see is farms, travel plazas, big rigs, and water towers. I had to drive out to Stockton yesterday and thats about all I saw out there, not to mention that signature odor I described. about the only thing differentiating California's central valley from say, anywhere in the midwest is the odd palm tree you see sprouting up here and there! :D

Yeah but what I like about Highway 99 is being able to set my cruise control at 70 or 75 mph right around magic mountain and keeping it there all the way to Sacramento. Very nice!

I'm with you as well though that the central valley is boring and stinky. AND I'm not used to seeing "EXIT 24B" either. Though I'm closer to San Diego than Santa Rosa.

a few of my favorites.....growing up in detroit, everyone was all too aware of this one.....

BigBeaver2-.jpg

this one just makes me giggle....

climax.jpg

another giggler....

seaman.jpg

You need to send those photos to Jay Leno for headlines!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I think up here in New England the signs say "Bridge Ices Before Road" or something like that. It doesn't matter if the bridge is metal grating or not, but they can't be salted or sanded because the melting compounds will drip into the rivers & streams underneath.

I like the signs that say "Slow Children".

"Bridge Freezes Before Pavement" here in CT.

We had a sign in our front yard that said "Watch Children" - thank God my parents aren't literalists and dressed my brother and I up like Timexes every time we went out to play... :grin:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived