Bridge May Be Icy

CJR

So I just spent the last couple days driving from Michgan to the gulf coast of Alabama and I saw some weird signs on the way.

In Michigan we've got signs on all the Interstate highways that say "Bridge May Be Icy" because bridges freeze over before the roads their connected to. Coming through Alabama, I noticed the signs say "Bridge May Ice Before Roadway."

That seems like way too many words to explain it. What do the signs say (if anything) where you live?

Funny sign story (to me)...

Me and my friend we're playing the alphabet game on the way to Florida. We made it harder and more of a challenge by saying we could only find one letter per sign and it had to be the first letter of a word. Anyway, my parents are saying that's stupid and we should just play normal rules. So, we play by our rules and they play by theirs and we see who finishes first (of course, unless they go blind they should win--though we woulda crashed...-). Anyway, they are on Y or Z, and we're suprisingly close on X. We figure hey, no problem, they'll be a deer x-ing sign coming up. We've seen a bunch up until now. So, eventually there is a spot where a deer crossing sign is...piece of crap has nothing more than a picture of a deer...

Sorry for the long and relatively boring story when not there live.

we've got the picture signs and the word signs here in GA. As for the Icy thing, I've seen both.

Best sign was when I was at Fort Stewart here in Georgia during Gulf War I when my dad was doing a news story down there. The sign was a typical crossing sign, but with a tank. Good ol' tank crossings.

Wierdest thing was when a deer jumped out in front of my car on my way home...right at a deer x-ing picture sign. Almost hit him, but he scampered off and jumped what I guess is about a 6 foot fence into a golf course and cleared it by a wide margin.

One sunday I was driving past a church with this deer crossing sign that was just a picture of a deer and sure enough this deer in mid daylight bolts right in front of my car gets scared and runs right through one of the church's stained glass windows with people still inside. The window shatters and the deer jumps back out the same window that it just broke but this time he is all cut up and bloody and runs off into the woods. It was one of the coolest things i've ever seen, and it all happened in a matter of ten seconds.

But the sign was a picture of a deer jumping :huh:

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I think up here in New England the signs say "Bridge Ices Before Road" or something like that. It doesn't matter if the bridge is metal grating or not, but they can't be salted or sanded because the melting compounds will drip into the rivers & streams underneath.

I like the signs that say "Slow Children".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I was on the Atlantic City Freeway this past summer, and there were some pretty funny ones out there, I can't remember right now, I'm sure some of you have seen them too, like : Stay Awake. no kidding, do people in NJ have a problem with sleep driving? sheesh.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I like the signs that say "Slow Children".

ours read "SLOW Children Playing"

like 49er mentioned in NC/SC it's "Bridge Ices Before Road"

and tons of the deer crossing signs (a leaping deer only, no text) that i like to call "Deer Jumping" signs. them buggers can move!

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

In Missouri we've got "Watch for Ice on Bridges" posted but only on some bridges. I think it varies from highway district to highway district. My favorites are the deer crossing sign which is a yellow diamond sign with a black leaping deer silhouette on it. I always thought the leaping deer silhouette would make a great helmet decal for a team called the Bucks. In any event, there are a couple of neighborhoods in my area where every year around Christmastime someone goes around to all the deer crossing signs and puts a red circular sticker on the nose of the deer.

I always thought the leaping deer silhouette would make a great helmet decal for a team called the Bucks.  In any event, there are a couple of neighborhoods in my area where every year around Christmastime  someone goes around to all the deer crossing signs and puts a red circular sticker on the nose of the deer.

it makes a great logo for tractors.

you wouldn't belive what a good black Sharpie can add to those signs around here. Buck Season, indeed. *points to deer genitial area hand-drawn on the sign*

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Oklahoma also has some great road signs. My favorites from my time down there (1990-93):

Do Not Drive Into Smoke

Drive Friendly

Watch Your Speed -- We Are (with a picture of an airplane and a list of fines based upon mph in excess of the posted speed)

Some of the signs in Quebec are hard to understand, and they post important signs in french only (smart, isn't it?), so you gotta try to figure out what the picture is.

My favourite is a picture of a cylinder with an 'X' through it with 500$ written underneath.

Another one is a straight horizontal line, with two circles underneat it, and diagonal lines connecting the circles to the horizontal line... this is either put into a green or a red circle.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived