ESPN obtains BCS Games starting 2011

Saint Zephyr III

I don't think reposting articles is allowed...but it'll put it in better perspective.

The Bowl Championship Series is coming to ESPN starting in January 2011 (following the 2010 regular season).

ESPN and the BCS announced the deal on Tuesday. It includes exclusive television, radio, digital, international and marketing rights for the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls from 2011-2014 and the BCS title game from 2011 to 2013.

The Rose Bowl will continue to be televised on ABC through 2014 under a separate, previous contract. The Rose Bowl is also slated to host the 2014 title game.

ESPN is currently available in 98 million American homes. The current BCS deal with Fox Sports expires after the 2010 games.

This means the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls, plus the BCS Championship Game, will be televised in prime time each January. The schedule has not been released. There will also be a BCS show on ESPN every Sunday to unveil the current rankings.

The games will also be carried on ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes Radio. Digital Media rights include operation of the official BCS Web site and the opportunity to simulcast the games online at ESPN360.com and on ESPN Mobile TV for mobile devices.

ESPN International will distribute and televise the BCS matchups around the world through networks and syndication, including on the re-branded ESPN America in Europe (known as NASN until Feb. 2009). In addition, ESPN has the right to televise BCS games on ESPN Deportes, the U.S. Spanish-language sports network.

"The BCS will thrive on ESPN," ESPN president George Bodenheimer said. "Our slogan is 'College Football Lives Here' and the BCS will now top college football's best regular-season and studio coverage, the sport's top awards shows, Bowl Week and other national championships all carried on our family of networks. This is a proud day for ESPN and an exceptional day for this great sport and its passionate fans."

"We are tremendously pleased to reach an agreement with ESPN and feel that the BCS games from 2011 to '14 will be in good hands," said BCS commissioner John Swofford, who is also the commissioner of the ACC. "With the continued growth of technology and the depth of coverage that ESPN gives to the college football fan on all its platforms during the regular season, this postseason partnership is a natural fit."

ESPN is available in just over 98 million U.S. homes, which is 86 percent of all households with televisions, according to Nielsen. Swofford expects that number to grow by 2011. Of the people who watched the BCS title game on Fox last season, 95 percent had cable or satellite, ESPN said.

GR30a5H.png

Well Canada lost the Grey Cup to cable for this season, so it is possible that the SuperBowl could go cable. But I really don't think it will have any effect on viewership. The SuperBowl is so entrenched in American culture that people will watch it, no matter what channel it's on, especially when a large majority of Americans have that channel.

1zqy8ok.gif

One thing that the original article isn't clear on: Would this deal be specifically with the ESPN flagship channel itself, or with the ESPN family as a whole, which includes ABC Sports ESPN On ABC? If it's the latter, I'm guessing the BCS will remain on network TV; they'll just shift back to ABC.

CCSLC signature.png

So does this news mean it's the worst f-ing day of anyone's life??

Rams80, you okay over there? I know how much you loathe ESPN.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My only concern would be that now that ESPN has a vested stake in the BCS the playoff talk might diminish. Otherwise, at least I can watch these games, as opposed to the NFL Network ones.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Unlike their baseball coverage (which is basically that of the Al East and New York), pro football coverage (more focused on stories than the actual game at times), and basketball coverage (which they basically admitted by their schedule on ABC/ESPN, focuses on only 10 teams in the league), ESPN's college football coverage is top freakin notch.

I mean, it probably just means that ESPN's gonna put the BCS back on ABC, but I welcome this. ESPN does a great job of covering college football, as long as Pam Ward isn't involved. :P

Well Canada lost the Grey Cup to cable for this season, so it is possible that the SuperBowl could go cable. But I really don't think it will have any effect on viewership. The SuperBowl is so entrenched in American culture that people will watch it, no matter what channel it's on, especially when a large majority of Americans have that channel.

The thing with the Super Bowl is that it really transcends sports, and is National pop-culture institution watched by men, women, and children. Part of what makes it that special is the fact that it is presented on (and more importantly, promoted on) the same channel as shows that women watch (Desperate Housewives maybe?), children watch (Smurfs - is that still on?), and... well everyone watches at some point.

While ESPN reaches basically the same number of households, nobody is watching ESPN unless they are in to sports. It's a niche channel (though it's a huge niche) but it will be a lot less special if it's on there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I could swear I already posted in this thread but there seems to be no evidence of it so I'll say it again. I think ESPN getting the BCS is pretty cool. I never cared for the FOX coverage of the games. For all their other problems, ESPN does a great job with College Football. I am fine with this deal.

EDIT: I did. It was in the College Football thread. Oh well...

BB52Big.jpg

If it comes a day and time where the NFL knows it can squeeze a few more millions per year out of their TV package deals by putting the Super Bowl on ESPN, they'll jump on it in a second.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Guys, guys, guys. The Super Bowl will never be on ESPN.

Mark my words. Note the date. It will never, ever, happen.

It'll go straight to pay-per-view at $49.95 instead.

$49.95, that all? I think the NFL could probably charge more for the Super Bowl than a Mike Tyson fight.

I could swear I already posted in this thread but there seems to be no evidence of it so I'll say it again. I think ESPN getting the BCS is pretty cool. I never cared for the FOX coverage of the games. For all their other problems, ESPN does a great job with College Football. I am fine with this deal.

I don't like Fox sports in general, but I really enjoyed their coverage of the Boise State miracle game a while back. It was the most fun I've had watching a football game in years and years, and Fox having good announcers and getting in on the fun was a large part of it.

To the topic, as a non-cable subscriber, I don't care. With both of my teams being terrible (UW at 0-10 and SU at 2-9), the whole season and probably the next few are already big wastes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Guys, guys, guys. The Super Bowl will never be on ESPN.

Mark my words. Note the date. It will never, ever, happen.

It'll go straight to pay-per-view at $49.95 instead.

I wouldn't pay 5 bucks to watch the Super Bowl and I'm a football fan and an NFL fan. If it ever did go to pay-per-view I think they'd lose a whole lot of viewers.

BB52Big.jpg

My only concern would be that now that ESPN has a vested stake in the BCS the playoff talk might diminish. Otherwise, at least I can watch these games, as opposed to the NFL Network ones.

I have less of a concern about that. Beacuse of the contract with the Rose Bowl, there was going to be no way that there would be a playoff before 2014 anyway. ESPN would likely air at least some of the preliminary games in a playoff, if not the whole thing.

Archived