Sixers throwbacks.

oddball

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, since Paul Lukas couldn't specify, the confirmed throwbacks for this season so far are:

Cavaliers: 1978-1979? gold home uniforms

Hornets: New Orleans Buccaneers ABA home uniforms

76ers: 1982-1983 home uniforms

Wizards: 1962-1963 Chicago Zephrys home uniforms

Any others people know of?

Okay, since Paul Lukas couldn't specify, the confirmed throwbacks for this season so far are:

Cavaliers: 1978-1979? gold home uniforms

Hornets: New Orleans Buccaneers ABA home uniforms

76ers: 1982-1983 home uniforms

Wizards: 1962-1963 Chicago Zephrys home uniforms

Any others people know of?

The Cavs jerseys are actually the 1970-71 Gold Home Uniforms. It's on Page 2 here (Look at the bottom left hand corner, it's in a graph).

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I think what the Sixers wear now are far superior. These uniforms are as generic as generic gets.

Generic? How can you call a classic uniform generic?

While I don't think the current set holds a candle to these (more of an indictment of the current set as much as loving the "classic" look), look at 'em. They are generic as hell! Generic doesn't mean they suck, it just means that they are ridiculously plain, simple, and non-descript and anyone else could easily use this same uniform without changing a single feature.

So, to recap:

These uniforms aren't great just because they're old.

These uniforms aren't the suck just because they're old.

These uniforms are plain, but that doesn't mean they're great.

These uniforms are plain, but that doesn't mean they're the suck.

Did I miss anything?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

the sixers current look is already outdated. id like to see an updated throwback a la the pistons. i like the unused identity that floated around:

Sixers_6.gif

Sixers_5.gif

make that light blue more of a tarnished copper blue/green accent and youve got so much potential with the name/colors.

I so wish they'd go back to these or something similar and ditch the black. I'd even be willing to compromise if they'd make the PHILA reds their away set. They're new-and very well done IMO.

Bring back the Whale!

I think what the Sixers wear now are far superior. These uniforms are as generic as generic gets.

You act like the current set isn't as "generic as generic gets", only on a modern scale. Use of black when it doesn't fit? Check. Use of goofy ass piping? Check. Ugly as :censored: number font? Check. Just about every mediocre design element of the last 10 years in the NBA can be encapsulated in the mess they sport on a regular basis.

It's weird -- it seems like just about everything I see with regard to advertising to the team this season, be it on busses, billboards, or in e-mails, has the throwback uniforms on players and/or their old logo. It makes me think that they might go back to that at some point, or possibly go back to red-white-blue at some point soon.

I was at the game last night, and up on the scoreboards they had the old logo. They even have them for sale (in personalizeable form) too.

philly.png

I don't know. Back in '83, I called those uniforms "generic as generic gets".

It fit then as well. I hated those things. When the Sixers went to that design, it was like all imagination and creativity went out the window. They had a pretty decent set before that one, and they just stripped all of the uniqueness out of it and went plain.

Doesn't mean I like the current set though!

I don't know. Back in '83, I called those uniforms "generic as generic gets".

It fit then as well. I hated those things. When the Sixers went to that design, it was like all imagination and creativity went out the window. They had a pretty decent set before that one, and they just stripped all of the uniqueness out of it and went plain.

Doesn't mean I like the current set though!

001160830.jpg500-drj035.jpg

I'd rank as follows:

This set > 82-83 set > current set

82-83 is the one that gets all the attention because the Sixers won it all wearing those. However, referring to the linked photo again, they would be celebrating reaching the finals against Portland by choosing to replicate that set. Heck, I'd be happy if they just reprised the warmups of that era.

Also - what is the deal with the white Flyers banners in the Spectrum rafters? Not old enough to remember those.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Also - what is the deal with the white Flyers banners in the Spectrum rafters? Not old enough to remember those.

Never seen those before. They must have been replaced prior to the late '80s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived