Group Project: NFL Reserve Division

fishheatcats

Hey everyone, this is a league idea I thought of a while back and thought it would make a good group project.

With football being so popular in the U.S., I always found it odd that only the NFL has been able to thrive as a pro league(and now the most successful non-NFL league, the AFL, is in serious trouble), even though most leagues generally target non-NFL markets and play in the spring. The reason for this, I think, is that since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, the NFL became so popular and huge, it has been able to draw fans from all over the country, regardless of whether or not an area has a team. People have latched on to the closest team, or the most successful(i.e. the ?America?s Team? Cowboys). The NFL has been able to squash any other league that has dared to challenge it. The AFL has been able to squeak by because it?s so different from the outdoor game. The only way another outdoor league could succeed in my opinion is if it?s directly linked to the NFL(and based in the US, no NFL Europe).

So, my idea is a full fledged 32-team minor league, the NFL Reserve Division. Not only would this be an opportunity for the league to rake in piles of extra cash, but also a great asset to NFL teams, and it would help lessen the blow of injuries and also give young players(like backup QBs) the opportunity to gain game experience. Think of it, since they?re going to spend 90% of the time talking about the NFL anyways, the analysts on ESPN would actually have something relevant to talk about mid-week if there were actual games being played lol. Also you know people would buy up merchandise and tickets, and go out to the games for autographs etc. Since it would be directly associated with the NFL people wouldn?t scoff at it like the many upstart leagues before(and the next few on the way).

So here?s how I would set the league up:

-32 Teams, one affiliate for each NFL team, each based in the general area of the NFL team. Example: Miami?s team could be based in Naples or West Palm Beach, areas that already have Dolphins fans, but because of travel times never get to see live games.

-Teams divided into 4 8-team divisions based on geographical location: North, South, East and West.

-Teams play only within their divisions(to ease travel costs), home/away, for a 14 game season. The 4 division winners enter a playoff to determine the champion.

-The season runs alongside the NFL season, ending with the championship game week 16 of the NFL season.

-Also, a spring season could be run, with half or more of the season taking place post-draft, so rookies could get some action early on, and guys on the fringe of the first team could prove themselves.

-Games would be played mid-week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, with a few ?games of the week? televised on NFL Network

-Each team would be allowed 40 roster spots

-Each team would be allowed to bring up/send down players at anytime, allowing for young players, mainly quarterbacks, to play and get game experience in the Reserve Division, while still being available to play on Sundays if they are needed. However, only 3 players that played in the Reserve Division game would be allowed to be activated for the following NFL game.

-To lessen the chance of injuries, games would be played with 10 minute quarters, and no overtime.

Okay I think that covers how the league would be set up, which I guess is all kind of irrelevant, but fun to do anyway. On to the project:

This is a pretty basic idea, We?ll have 32 teams to do, each in a market near it?s NFL affiliate. Since other than Florida I don?t know a whole lot about appropriate markets for the affiliate teams, you can pick wherever you want as the place to base the team. But try to choose a location that?s reasonably close to the NFL team(i.e. Rochester/Buffalo, or Albuquerque/Phoenix). There really is no order, anyone can do any team at any time, so long as it hasn?t already been claimed. Also if anyone wants to do more than one team, go for it. Since I came up with the idea, I?m gonna be greedy and take my Dolphins. I'll post teams that have been called in the second post.

I guess to get some better results, here are some guidelines for the team concepts:

-The team may share the nickname and/or colors of it?s parent team, but it must have totally different logos/uniforms(throwbacks are okay).

For fun, once every team is done, we?ll have a vote to see who everyone thinks is the best. I guess you could call this a semi-contest, but really I just wanted to outsource the other 31 teams to see what a NFL minor league could look like.

Also, here is the logo I came up with for the league. Feel free to come up with your own if you want.

nflrdov5.gif

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams Posted:

-Miami Dolphins - Palm Beach Breakers - fishheatcats

-San Deigo Chargers - Las Vegas Aces - raysox

-Carolina Panthers - Raleigh Airborne - dgnmrwrw

-Green Bay Packers - Milwaukee Wolfpack - Viper

-Denver Broncos - Cheyenne Broncos - jake22

-New England Patriots - Pawtucket Pats - StatikGS

-Minnesota Vikings - St. Cloud, MN - MattMilone

-Cincinnati Bengals - Louisville Tigers - McCarthy

-Atlanta Falcons - Alabama Gladiators - bigmike

-Indianapolis Colts - Fort Wayne Generals - Ross_Shafer

-Seattle Seahawks - Tacoma Tugs - chrisCLEMENT

-New York Jets - Hartford Fighters - chestnutz6

-Houston Texans - Team city/name TBA - RTI

-Buffalo Bills - Toronto, ON, CA - drury23

-New Orleans Saints -Jackson, MS - shiznit1083

-Philadelphia Eagles - Harrisburgh Eagles - PhilliesPhan1325

-Jacksonville Jaguars - Team city/name TBA - brandon_odis

-Detroit Lions - Team city/name TBA - -(dp)-

-San Francisco 49ers - San Jose Gold Rush - dcameronh

-St. Louis Rams - Memphis Pharaohs - McCall

-Arizona Cardinals - Albuquerque Statesmen - Gary.

-Baltimore Ravens - Richmond Ravens - NEW.ERA.PANDA

-Cleveland Browns - Columbus Browns - sizemorematters

-Tennessee Titans - Jackson Jackals - RTI

-Pittsburgh Steelers - Morgantown, WV - gingerbreadman

-Oakland Raiders - Redding Turtles - TalktoChuck

-New York Giants - Team city/name TBA - scottysprings

-Dallas Cowboys - Fort Worth, TX - Spearhead

-Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Orlando Corsairs - MBurmy

-Washington Redskins - Norfolk Powhatans - cappital92

-Chicago Bears - Team city/name TBA - ImABeast

-Kansas City Chiefs - Des Moines Chiefs - huskeraddict

-Kansas City Chiefs 2 - Omaha Phantoms - BIGBAD

When you post your concept(and if you already have if you can edit this in it would be appreciated) please include the url(s) for your image(s), without the %7Boption%7D tags(so that it doesn't actually show up again), for example http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6503/palmbeachmw8.gif

That way when I'm setting up the polling threads I won't have to save and upload 31 other images to link to, I can just paste in the links that are already available. Thanks.

Okay here's what I've done for the Dolphins' affiliate, the Palm Beach Breakers. I chose to revive the Breakers name from the USFL(and the TV show Coach). I think it would be a good tribute(or insult depending on how you look at it lol) to the leagues the NFL has crushed to bring back some of the best names from them. I think the Boston/Portland/New Orleans Breakers were one of, if not the best, identities in the USFL. I came up with my own abstract wave design for the helmet, using Dolphins aqua and navy. C&C on this and any suggestions for the overall project welcomed.

palmbeachmw8.gif

hahah I actually thought of this idea a few days ago. I even made a league with a few members(see sig). But I'm in.

Las Vegas Aces- Chargers

Here are the logos, and jerseys I made for my league

Logos

Jerseys

^^^I might change the jerseys to reflect the Chargers jerseys

You should also change them to not have Nike logos on the front...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

hahah I actually thought of this idea a few days ago. I even made a league with a few members(see sig). But I'm in.

Las Vegas Aces- Chargers

Here are the logos, and jerseys I made for my league

Logos

Jerseys

^^^I might change the jerseys to reflect the Chargers jerseys

You should also change them to not have Nike logos on the front...

Updated

I also have some cities that we could use.

Shreveport- Saints

Memphis- Titans

Columbia, SC- ???

Orlando- Bucs

Louisville- Colts

Raleigh- Panthers

Connecticut- Giants, Jets

Birmingham- Falcons

LA- Raiders

San Antonio- Texans

Portland- Seahawks

San Jose- 49ers

Hawaii- ???

Salt Lake City- Denver

Here's the Broncos team. The Salt Lake City Bucks! I used the old bronco blue.

Logos:

bucks.gif

Uniforms:

Untitled-1.gif

I don't mean to sound critical here, but your primary logo is a moose and your alternate logo is an elk...If you're going to be the "Bucks", at least make the logos deer....both male moose and elk are called "bulls"....

pwmhshpbanner.gif

pwihshpbanner2.gif

Logos:

bucks.gif

Uniforms:

Untitled-1.gif

Actually jake22 called the Broncos affiliate a few posts before this, but I guess there's no harm in two. I'll try my best to keep up in posting which teams have been called at the top but try to check the other posts to be sure.

Logos:

bucks.gif

Uniforms:

Untitled-1.gif

I don't mean to sound critical here, but your primary logo is a moose and your alternate logo is an elk...If you're going to be the "Bucks", at least make the logos deer....both male moose and elk are called "bulls"....

That's not being critical, it's a fact. Calling a team the "Bucks" and having a moose and elk logos makes no sense. I was going to point this out but you beat me to it.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

i was thinking based on the history of Pawtucket and the State of Rhode Island ( birthplace of the industrial revolution in the states)

Pawtucket Millers

Pawtucket Industrials

Pawtucket Generals

Pawtucket Colonials

Pawtucket Revolutionaries

Pawtucket Americans

Pawtucket Rebels

Pawtucket Whigs

Rhode Island Millers

Rhode Island Industrials

Rhode Island Generals

Rhode Island Colonials