NY Jets Alternate Logo?

Cujo

While browsing eBay (yes, I know there are plenty of bogus items floating around on there, which is why I'm asking this), I stumbled upon a t-shirt claiming to feature the "New York Jets 1973 Throwback Logo". I know the Jets played at Shea Stadium back then, so it would kind of make sense that they used their own version of the Mets "interlocking NY" logo since the New York Football Giants borrowed the "NY" from the New York Baseball Giants and the Knicks' former usage of the Yankees logo as well.

Anyways, I've never seen this logo before. Does anyone happen to know if this was ever officially used by the Jets?...

0a40_1.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen that logo before. eBay aside (which is enough to trigger this) I'm very skeptical about its authenticity.

it would kind of make sense that they used their own version of the Mets "interlocking NY" logo since the New York Football Giants borrowed the "NY" from the New York Baseball Giants and the Knicks' former usage of the Yankees logo as well.

Which Baseball Giants logo was that?

Never seen that logo before. eBay aside (which is enough to trigger this) I'm very skeptical about its authenticity.
it would kind of make sense that they used their own version of the Mets "interlocking NY" logo since the New York Football Giants borrowed the "NY" from the New York Baseball Giants and the Knicks' former usage of the Yankees logo as well.

That would be the current Mets (former NY baseball Giants) cap logo. If you watch that Greatest Game documentry of ESPN you see some ootage of the Giants taking the field wearing jackets. Some of the jackets breast had an interlocking NY logo similar to the Yankees cap and some had the the Giants/Mets cap logo. It seems they stole from both teams, which I'm assuming in those days was par for the course in football.

Years ago in a ComArts magazine I saw mock ups of the Jets with their NY on the helmet. I thought these were a huge improvement but they never saw the light of day. Would be nice to see them change to this.

944.gif

It would be fantastic if they used that on their helmet. A major improvement over the current old-timey logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That would be the current Mets (former NY baseball Giants) cap logo. If you watch that Greatest Game documentry of ESPN you see some ootage of the Giants taking the field wearing jackets. Some of the jackets breast had an interlocking NY logo similar to the Yankees cap and some had the the Giants/Mets cap logo. It seems they stole from both teams, which I'm assuming in those days was par for the course in football.

Ah, I see it now.

Still, there's a world of difference between borrowing the logo of a more prestigious neighbor and adapting the logo to different initials.

I remain very, very skeptical that this was ever used by the team.

Years ago in a ComArts magazine I saw mock ups of the Jets with their NY on the helmet. I thought these were a huge improvement but they never saw the light of day. Would be nice to see them change to this.

944.gif

It would be fantastic if they used that on their helmet. A major improvement over the current old-timey logo.

As much as I liked the retro unis when they were brought back in 1998, I believe it's time for them to go. The mismatching sleeves just don't work with in today's NFL with the extra-small jerseys now worn by most players (see below). Using the "oval-NY" logo would be a great place for the Jets to start if they do decide to find an updated identity.

ellis_sack.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

944.gif

Whenever I see this logo I always think to myself that it would look good on their helmet. It just seems to translate better on the helmet than the current logo.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

944.gif

Whenever I see this logo I always think to myself that it would look good on their helmet. It just seems to translate better on the helmet than the current logo.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this one. Too plain. What's everyone's objection to the current, specifically?

I love that 'NY' logo but there is one huge problem with them using that on their helmets: They play in New Jersey and are partners in a new stadium in New Jersey which means they're not going back to NY anytime this generation. I think it'd be silly to wear that on their helmets in light of this fact.

mets.png

I love that 'NY' logo but there is one huge problem with them using that on their helmets: They play in New Jersey and are partners in a new stadium in New Jersey which means they're not going back to NY anytime this generation. I think it'd be silly to wear that on their helmets in light of this fact.

And how exactly have these facts stopped the Giants from wearing NY on their helmet? :D

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

Enough of the stupid New Jersey "argument". The area is known globally as metro New York.

My objection to the current logo is that you have to look super close at it to even see the NY behind the "Jets", and it's just too cluttered with the NY, Jets, and the football in it. The oval NY is classy and distinct enough to work alone on the helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't see why not. The current Jets primary already has "NY" in the background. On top of that, New Jersey's other team, the Giants, uses "NY" as their primary logo.

Both the Jets and Giants logos seem to go over pretty well with the fans -- I mean, certainly don't have any complaints about either of them.

6uXNWAo.png

Never seen it. Looks bogus to me. Why would a football team use a logo that's so obviously in a baseball style? Maybe on sideline jackets or those things that look like capes?

Not football, of course, but the Knicks had no problem doing the same for a long time.

EwingNYKROTY.jpgMRayRichardsonNYK.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wish they would use that helmet logo that's in your sig from their first season as the Jets.

Archived