2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just checked the ALCS/NLCS schedule and these times are completely whack

Game 2 of the NLCS starts at 1:17 p.m. on Friday in Los Angeles... in the middle of the work day, while the Game 1 of the ALCS starts at 7:57 in New York.

Game 3 of the ALCS starts at 1:17 p.m. on Monday in Anaheim... in the middle of the work day, while Game 4 of the NLCS starts at 8:07 p.m. in Philadelphia.

What the hell?

Good job MLB. I'm sure scheduling a Championship Series playoff game in the middle of the day on a work day won't mess with the Southern California fans.

Meanwhile, let's let all the East Coast fans finish up their jobs get to the game in a timely fashion.

That seems perfectly logical.

Could the two West Coast games in question be moved to the night slot and the two East Coast games be moved to the early slot?

That way the games that are actually on the West Coast would start a legitimate time for the people actually going, and the games on the East Coast could be at a legitimate time for the people actually attending.

I know they want to satisfy both fans for viewing and that's hard with both teams being 3 hours apart, but in the age of TiVo and DVR, the poeple that would only be watching can do that or just listen to the radio.

With that damn 1 p.m. start time for Game 3 of the Yanks/Angels series I can almost guarantee that there will be more Yanks fans than if the game was at night.

MLB once again drops the ball

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sorry, I just had to post this. It's from a Boston fan on some website called "Bar Stool Sports." And these people wonder why there is a sizable portion of sports society that can't stand them.

We're in October of 2009. The decade is rapidly coming to an end. And unfortunatly so is our decade of dominance. I mean there is no other way to look at it after the tragic events of yesterday. I mean a day like this would have been unheard of a couple years ago. Tom Brady getting outplayed by Kyle Orten? Papelbon giving up 5 runs while only getting 2 batters out and blowing the season? (I don't count the guy he picked off as him getting an out) Bottomline is we haven't won anything since the Celtics two years ago. Sure our teams our still competitive but it's no longer a forgone conclusion that we'll be having a parade at some point during the year. In other words we've just become like everybody else. Mortal. But in typical Boston fashion we ended the greatest run any city has every seen in the history of sports with a day so horrific that it was almost awe inspiring in a weird kind of way. Like watching a tornado tear through a small town or something. And in the end I'm not sure whether I should go into Cabo and party like crazy and remember the good times or just sit in my hotel room and cry.

Wow. What a bummer dude. "Tragic events?" Are you :censored:-ing kidding me? Oh and learn the difference between our and are douchebag. Spell check might not be the worst idea either.

Spare me.

500x_40_greene__1255349920_4233.jpg

That person does not represent the entirety of Boston sports fans. A majority? Probably. But not the entirety.

I am a diehard Boston sports fan. Been so my whole life. But I can step back and see things as they are. Sure, there is the typical vitriol directed towards the obvious rivals (Yankees, Canadiens, Jets, Lakers, etc.), but that's not the norm.

It's hard to defend one's self as a Boston sports fan from the many haters, both on the internet and in person. But you still have to be somewhat rational in the arguments, and sadly, a lot of people can't seem to do that.

"Tragic events"? Gah. It's been a very positive time to be a Boston sports fan. Six world championships in seven years in three sports. That's a good track record. If only the Bruins could join the cavalcade, it would be so much better. But it

is not reasonable to call 2 years a dry spell, unless you're 5, or clinically diagnosed with a short attention span and can't remember stuff that happened when you were 3.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Sorry, I just had to post this. It's from a Boston fan on some website called "Bar Stool Sports." And these people wonder why there is a sizable portion of sports society that can't stand them.

We're in October of 2009. The decade is rapidly coming to an end. And unfortunatly so is our decade of dominance. I mean there is no other way to look at it after the tragic events of yesterday. I mean a day like this would have been unheard of a couple years ago. Tom Brady getting outplayed by Kyle Orten? Papelbon giving up 5 runs while only getting 2 batters out and blowing the season? (I don't count the guy he picked off as him getting an out) Bottomline is we haven't won anything since the Celtics two years ago. Sure our teams our still competitive but it's no longer a forgone conclusion that we'll be having a parade at some point during the year. In other words we've just become like everybody else. Mortal. But in typical Boston fashion we ended the greatest run any city has every seen in the history of sports with a day so horrific that it was almost awe inspiring in a weird kind of way. Like watching a tornado tear through a small town or something. And in the end I'm not sure whether I should go into Cabo and party like crazy and remember the good times or just sit in my hotel room and cry.

Wow. What a bummer dude. "Tragic events?" Are you :censored:-ing kidding me? Oh and learn the difference between our and are douchebag. Spell check might not be the worst idea either.

Spare me.

That person does not represent the entirety of Boston sports fans. A majority? Probably. But not the entirety.

I am a diehard Boston sports fan. Been so my whole life. But I can step back and see things as they are. Sure, there is the typical vitriol directed towards the obvious rivals (Yankees, Canadiens, Jets, Lakers, etc.), but that's not the norm.

It's hard to defend one's self as a Boston sports fan from the many haters, both on the internet and in person. But you still have to be somewhat rational in the arguments, and sadly, a lot of people can't seem to do that.

"Tragic events"? Gah. It's been a very positive time to be a Boston sports fan. Six world championships in seven years in three sports. That's a good track record. If only the Bruins could join the cavalcade, it would be so much better. But it

is not reasonable to call 2 years a dry spell, unless you're 5, or clinically diagnosed with a short attention span and can't remember stuff that happened when you were 3.

I know he doesn't. If anything, tools like that guy make me feel bad for the real fans.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

MLB once again drops the ball

How about the schedule the Phils got this past week?

game 1 = 2:30 local, missed by anyone at work

game 2 = 2:30 local, missed by anyone at work

game 3 = 10:00 local on a Sunday, ending at 2:15am local, missed by anyone that had to be at work on Monday

...and now most of us will miss the first third/half of game 2 of the NLCS on Friday. The scheduling stinks. At least it's only 1 weekday day game this time instead of 2...

Spare me.

Honestly, it sounded kind of tongue-in-cheek to me. I mean, he was right, the way that Boston failed in both sports on Sunday was vintage Boston fail: Get the fans' hopes up, only to stomp on those hopes and then do the Stanky leg while doing so. I've got no problem with Boston fan being sad about recent failures (despite the ridiculous success that their city has had), because, that's just Boston fan. If & when their sports teams fail, it will be a magnificent yet painful-to-watch at times collapse and their fans will agonize over it using some of the most ridiculous hyperbole that you can think of because that's just their style. Like Atlanta fans' style to either not show up when the home team is decent, only when they're great or when they're playing another great team so that they can come root for the other team. :P It's just sports fan logic.

Moving back on topic...I think it's funny that after years upon years of A-Rod's playoff failures being given wall-to-wall coverage, this year he's actually playing excellent October baseball & the best it gets is a small little blurb about it on SportsCenter. I'm honestly surprised at this.

Negativity sells. That and sex.

And negative sex really sells.

Is there such a thing? :P

Well you wouldn't call catching your girl bumping uglies with another guy a positive thing would you? :D

Good point... :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So I just checked the ALCS/NLCS schedule and these times are completely whack

Game 2 of the NLCS starts at 1:17 p.m. on Friday in Los Angeles... in the middle of the work day, while the Game 1 of the ALCS starts at 7:57 in New York.

Game 3 of the ALCS starts at 1:17 p.m. on Monday in Anaheim... in the middle of the work day, while Game 4 of the NLCS starts at 8:07 p.m. in Philadelphia.

What the hell?

Good job MLB. I'm sure scheduling a Championship Series playoff game in the middle of the day on a work day won't mess with the Southern California fans.

Meanwhile, let's let all the East Coast fans finish up their jobs get to the game in a timely fashion.

That seems perfectly logical.

Could the two West Coast games in question be moved to the night slot and the two East Coast games be moved to the early slot?

Personally I'm surprised that not all of the ALCS is in primetime in the east because it is on a broadcast network where the NLCS is on Cable. I guess MLB agreed to even it out between the two channels as far as the number of day and primetime games go. I'm guessing FOX wanted the series the ALCS to start in primetime thus the west coast game got the day spots.

Archived