2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn Yankees...

The Angels have only won Game 1 of a series three times in their history anyway. ('82 Milwaukee - Loss, '05 White Sox - Loss, '09 Red Sox - Win).

In their two postseason series vs the Yankees ('02 and '05) they lost the first game and won.

There is still a way to win it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Damn Yankees...

The Angels have only won Game 1 of a series three times in their history anyway. ('82 Milwaukee - Loss, '05 White Sox - Loss, '09 Red Sox - Win).

In their two postseason series vs the Yankees ('02 and '05) they lost the first game and won.

There is still a way to win it.

Well, the Yankees of 2009 are better than 2002 and 2005 where good pitching in the playoffs were foreign to the Yankees

Gonna be tough for the angels.

The Angels are playing so sloppy. It's sad too because they are really a good team. I guess the Yankees are gonna steal another entry into the World Series.

If you win a best-of-7 game series, it ain't stealing.

Just sayin'...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one because in my opinion it only takes one big momentum shift for a team to 'steal' a series. the 1996 ALCS comes to mind. The 2003 NLCS is the same. You can even look at the Twins/Yankees series this year. Most of that was the Twins fault, and I'm not saying they would have won the series, but they had a win taken from them and it cost them big. It only takes one to take the wind out of a teams sails.

The outcome of the series aside, I really hope that three things are realized by Scioscia and Reagins.

1. It might be best served to let Vlad walk at the end of the year. Watching him at the plate with RISP is brutal to watch, since he just swings himself automatically into an 0-2 hole. The whole Vlad hitting bad balls quirk is just like the Brett Favre gunslinger quirk. It's great when it's working, but when it isn't, it looks AWFUL. Plus, why is Vlad batting cleanup when the club's leading HR hitter is 5th or 6th?

2. Abreu needs to be kept around. It's great having someone work the count leading into the 3 and 4 spots.

3. The platoon at the middle infield needs to end. Aybar, Izturis, and Kendrick are just shuffled around there, so it's no wonder that the former two have made the gaffes that they have. Plus, I will continue to petition for Brandon Wood to be given a shot, as it's been made clear time after time that when a player gets regular ABs, they thrive, just like Napoli does when Mathis is on the shelf, and Mathis does when Napoli is on the shelf.

Hopefully Weaver can turn things around on Monday, but the weaknesses are really coming out.

VmWIn6B.png

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one because in my opinion it only takes one big momentum shift for a team to 'steal' a series. the 1996 ALCS comes to mind. The 2003 NLCS is the same. You can even look at the Twins/Yankees series this year. Most of that was the Twins fault, and I'm not saying they would have won the series, but they had a win taken from them and it cost them big. It only takes one to take the wind out of a teams sails.

Take this for what it's worth. The blown call by the umpire at 2nd on the supposed double play in Game 2 of the ALCS (I forgot what inning, 7th or 8th maybe) did not benefit the Yankees that time.

Also, there's no crying in baseball.

No team that Bobby Abreu starts on will ever have any real success. The guy has the most hollow numbers that any "good" player has ever had, and brings down everyone around him with his nonchalant attitude and lack of work ethic. There is a reason why in 2006, the Phillies traded him to the Yankees for nothing, and then went on a run that almost saw them make the playoffs, and then made the playoffs three years in a row, despite starting a (on paper anyway) lesser player in right field.

The Phillies were ridden with pieces of garbage like Bobby Abreu and Mike Lieberthal - guys who just didn't really care, but were considered "leaders" due to their longevity, and dragged their teammates down. Getting rid of these guys allowed the younger players who actually had heart to assume leadership positions, and the rest is history.

On paper, is a young Shane Victorino really better than Abreu in 2007? Is old-decrepit Geoff Jenkins in 2008 (eventually replaced by castoff Jayson Werth) really better than Abreu? Also, on paper, is Carlos Ruiz really better than multi-time all star Mike Lieberthal? Of course not.

There's one stat that doesn't show up in the papers - that is the loser stat. Both Abreu and Lieberthal consistently are near the top of the league in being losers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yankees about to buy another championship, further ruining Major League Baseball. Really a shame.

I don't like the Yankee$ at all, but what championships have they "bought" really? They haven't won a championship in 9 seasons, despite spending almost a billion and a half US dollars in payroll. If they are "buying championships" they need to sue the f*** out of whoever sells championships. They've bought a bunch of lemons.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yankees about to buy another championship, further ruining Major League Baseball. Really a shame.

Funny, because they haven't even won one since 2000....

Just stop crying, man. Maybe if the Angels hadn't commit all those errors, the series would be different.

It's alright if you hate the Yankees, but being a bitter moron, not cool man!

Archived