2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I'm not excited about a potential Yankees/Phillies World Series either.

what match up would you have preferred?

Any match up where I don't have to hear about the Yankees winning their 40th AL pennant. The Phillies are a good team and I think they can take the Yankees, but I would much rather see the Angels in the series.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 1st

Philadelphia, PA

1:00pm - New York Giants vs Philadelphia Eagles

8:00pm - New York Yankees vs Philadelphia Phillies - Game 4 (potentially)

I'd say there a good 60%-70% chance a fan in New York gear will get murdered...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think I might be interested in a NYY-PHI series, only because there is a very distinct possibility that we're going to see more dingers than we can possibly handle. I mean, sure, both of these teams have great pitching, but at the same time they both play in bandboxes. We're going to see some high scoring games for sure.

Plus, like JQK just mentioned, some :censored: is going to go down in the stands that we haven't seen in a World Series in quite some time. Let a Phillies fan walk into the Bleacher Creatures...I guarantee you it'll be entertaining to say the least.

While I'm certainly no fan of the Phillies uniform, I think it's kinda cool that this re-match of the 1950 series will feature teams wearing uniforms that are extremely similar to the ones from back then.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My god, are there any Angels fans in the stands? I was listening to the TV without watching it, and for a while was convinced that the Yankees were at home, until I looked at the screen and saw that they were in their road grays.

Next week will be interesting, considering how close NY and PHI are, and how many fans travel to and from each city.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No lead is safe against this team. A 6-run rally with 2 outs. I don't like the Yankees, but damn that was cool to watch.

Of course, A-Rod didn't contribute much. He was given a free pass to first base, and couldn't even score on his own. Robby Cano had to knock him in. Bum.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Via Darth Vader's Twitter:

darthvader: My Boys getting ready to go to the World Series *and* Windows 7 is out. Good times for the Dark Side.
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

My god, are there any Angels fans in the stands? I was listening to the TV without watching it, and for a while was convinced that the Yankees were at home, until I looked at the screen and saw that they were in their road grays.

Next week will be interesting, considering how close NY and PHI are, and how many fans travel to and from each city.

OK, so the Angels' fans do sound pretty loud. Not sure how their can be eruptions of that magnitude for both teams, unless there's like 40k fans of each team in there. There must be some fans just cheering for hits, regardless of which team produces them.

OK, so the Angels' fans do sound pretty loud. Not sure how their can be eruptions of that magnitude for both teams, unless there's like 40k fans of each team in there. There must be some fans just cheering for hits, regardless of which team produces them.

I can't believe I'm about to quote this person, but Colin Cowherd (-groan-) said that LA, especially that part, still has a very large Yankees fanbase that only got bigger once they returned to their level of prominence. So I'm pretty sure that it was probably a 50/50 split between Yankees fans & Angels fans, which is a damn shame considering how good the Angels have been as of late. You'd think they'd be able to have it 100% in their favor.

With that said, at least the Angels got to win their last game of the season at home, because they damn sure aren't going to go to New York & win this series. They ain't the '04 Red Sox. :P

What is it with Southern Cal NL ownership groups and divorces?

I assume she will get half of everything. They will need a big hacksaw for the stadium, though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't believe I'm about to quote this person, but Colin Cowherd (-groan-) said that LA, especially that part, still has a very large Yankees fanbase that only got bigger once they returned to their level of prominence. So I'm pretty sure that it was probably a 50/50 split between Yankees fans & Angels fans, which is a damn shame considering how good the Angels have been as of late. You'd think they'd be able to have it 100% in their favor.

With that said, at least the Angels got to win their last game of the season at home, because they damn sure aren't going to go to New York & win this series. They ain't the '04 Red Sox. :P

There are a TON of fake Yankees fans out there though. I have never met a true Yankees fan that was not from New York. All the rest of them I met hardly know anything about not only the Yankees, but baseball in general. I bet I could have did the Jay Leno thing where he goes out and asks people questions that everyone should know the answer to. I could have gone to Angels Stadium tonight and probably stump half of them on just how many championships they have. You wouldn't believe how many conversations I have had with Yankee 'fans' and they didn't even know that.

I'm pretty sure the Yankees have more fake fans than any team in the World. Of course there is no way to really know. But in my experience most of them know jack about the game itself.

You never know. If they can win Game 6, all the pressure to win Game 7 will be on the Yanks to avoid another choke. Here's hoping they pull it off. Otherwise I'll have to root for the Phillies in the World Series and I don't want to do that.

Not so fast there Flame. Most teams who are down 3-1 would have folded up the tents after blowing a 4-0 lead in the 7th by giving up 6. The Angels turned right around and put up another three of their own. If you ask me, that's very reminiscent of the '04 Red Sox. As long as you're still playing you've always got a shot. It's not the best odds but The Halos are still playing ball. Anything can happen.

BB52Big.jpg

With that said, at least the Angels got to win their last game of the season at home, because they damn sure aren't going to go to New York & win this series. They ain't the '04 Red Sox. tongue.gif

It sure sounded louder than a 50/50 split though. That would imply that at any given time, there were around 20k people cheering for each team. It sounded like 40k+ cheering for each team. Of course, that could just be due to mic placement or other factors... or those dammed thunderstix.

Archived