2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

A Washington Capitals fan calling someone else a bandwagon fan. Now I've seen everything!

Uh, thanks. I've been a fan of the Caps since living in DC Area in 2006.

Wow, since '06? You've definitely earned the right to call other fans bandwagoners!

and where were Pens fans during the pre-Crosby years and during the bankruptcy? talk about the pot calling the kettle black. i hate Pens fans who call Caps fans bandwagoners when they had lean attendance years themselves.

and myself, ive been a Caps fan since 1992.

Wahhh. First, I didn't call anyone a bandwagon fan until someone else did because that's lame. Z34049osystem took a shot at someone and I replied in jest. And pre-Crosby years? Are you kidding? I think the Penguins enjoyed quite a bit of success and popularity before Sidney came along. Of course I'll gladly admit there are plenty of fair weather fans in Pittsburgh. Are you going to argue there aren't hundreds of new Caps fans all of a sudden?

Poor Pens fan gets itself involved when they weren't invited. You should reread what Bucsfan wrote, it's quite a reclamation project.

And yes, I need to reiterate that I've been a Caps fan since 2006 because I did not have a team to root for before moving into the area and stuck it out when they were sucking and miraculously made the playoffs last season. I don't see how that makes myself a bandwagoner.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Washington Capitals fan calling someone else a bandwagon fan. Now I've seen everything!

and where were Pens fans during the pre-Crosby years and during the bankruptcy? talk about the pot calling the kettle black. i hate Pens fans who call Caps fans bandwagoners when they had lean attendance years themselves.

Actually, as someone who went to many games during that time, it wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, the attendance figures werent the best, but the arena is small, and attendance doesnt measure fan intrest. The beginning of each season still drew excitement, the last game of the year was still always a packed house. People didnt show up in droves, sure, but if you take any team in the NHL and give them a few seasons where they finish last in the league put them at the brink of moving, and attendance wont be very pretty. It was said by all parties involved in the new arena negotions that the fans here are the #1 reason the team stayed. Had it not been for that they would have moved (or since Mario says moving wasnt an option, folded).

And have you seen this place in the playoffs? Back in the 90s, or even the last two years? Thats love for a team that is pure, and far away from bandwagoning. The fact that theyre still keeping the sellout streak alive shows that even a halfway decent team here will be followed passionately. I think people outside of Pittsburgh fail to see this because, for many years, Pittsburgh has always had the top-echelon Steelers, and Basement-dwelling Pirates and Penguins. Now the pens are back in the winning (or at least competitive) side of things, but people have forgotten how the 90's were for hockey around here.

As for Wheelhouse, that was a dumb comment. Washington fans arent bandwagoners, I'll give them that.

oBIgzrL.png

Actually, as someone who went to many games during that time, it wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, the attendance figures werent the best, but the arena is small, and attendance doesnt measure fan intrest. The beginning of each season still drew excitement, the last game of the year was still always a packed house. People didnt show up in droves, sure, but if you take any team in the NHL and give them a few losing seasons and put them at the brink of moving, and attendance wont be very pretty. It was said by all parties involved in the new arena negotions that the fans here are the #1 reason the team stayed. Had it not been for that they would have moved (or since Mario says moving wasnt an option, folded).

And have you seen this place in the playoffs? Back in the 90s, or even the last two years? Thats love for a team that is pure, and far away from bandwagoning.

As for Wheelhouse, that was a dumb comment. Washington fans arent bandwagoners.

Thanks Maz. That's comforting coming from another Pens fan. I will agree that Pittsburgh fans, although had it rough at times, stayed loyal to the team whereas here in DC, there's a tremendous spike in attendance this season based on the surprising success of the Caps and of course, to see Ovechkin.

Actually, as someone who went to many games during that time, it wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, the attendance figures werent the best, but the arena is small, and attendance doesnt measure fan intrest. The beginning of each season still drew excitement, the last game of the year was still always a packed house. People didnt show up in droves, sure, but if you take any team in the NHL and give them a few losing seasons and put them at the brink of moving, and attendance wont be very pretty. It was said by all parties involved in the new arena negotions that the fans here are the #1 reason the team stayed. Had it not been for that they would have moved (or since Mario says moving wasnt an option, folded).

And have you seen this place in the playoffs? Back in the 90s, or even the last two years? Thats love for a team that is pure, and far away from bandwagoning.

As for Wheelhouse, that was a dumb comment. Washington fans arent bandwagoners.

Thanks Maz. That's comforting coming from another Pens fan. I will agree that Pittsburgh fans, although had it rough at times, stayed loyal to the team whereas here in DC, there's a tremendous spike in attendance this season based on the surprising success of the Caps and of course, to see Ovechkin.

I bet we pens fans will still be able to take up half the seats in the place. :P

oBIgzrL.png

Okay, I'm just going to gloss over this real quick because it's snowing here, I'm bored, and I just get the feeling that some people here don't know how to read.

Ze4030rosystem - You "stuck it out" when your team barely made the playoffs? THAT'S NOT STICKING IT OUT. Why don't you ask fans of the Columbus Blue Jackets what they think of you sticking it out?

You chose to become a fan when you moved to the area during one of the most successful times in the history of the franchise. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's great that you found a team to root for. But putting down other members because they will openly admit they are interested in a team when they're winning is pretty ridiculous. I think it's great that San Jose's success is translating into new hockey fans, but you're more than happy to piss all over it with "BANDWAGON SEASON" because you're so much better.

maz - Guess what, pal. There are bandwagon Washington fans. There are bandwagon Pittsburgh fans. For every single team in every single sport, there are bandwagon fans. Sorry to break your heart. All those crazy loud fans packing Mellon Arena these past few years? 1/8 of them wouldn't be there if the team was losing. I know because I went to the games when Dick Tarnstrom was leading the team in points.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

maz - Guess what, pal. There are bandwagon Washington fans. There are bandwagon Pittsburgh fans. For every single team in every single sport, there are bandwagon fans. Sorry to break your heart. All those crazy loud fans packing Mellon Arena these past few years? 1/8 of them wouldn't be there if the team was losing. I know because I went to the games when Dick Tarnstrom was leading the team in points.

So was I. Rico Fata, Ric Jackman, Kostantin Koltsov (the original #71!), Josef Melichar, Andy Hillbert, Tomas Surovy, Milan Kraft, Jan Hirdina, Ian Moran, Janne Laukannen, the young Brooks Orpik and Ryan Malone, and what was left of Mario Lemieux... I also saw the epic failure that was the Coach Edzo "X Generation/Force" Era in person.

Yes, every team has bandwagoners, but of all people on these boards I would think that you would agree that pens fans are amongst the most loyal in the NHL. Like I said, if you take any team in the NHL and gave them a few seasons finishing last in the league with the financial problems they had, and you have the same result. We did fairly well compared to how alot of fanbases would do, and the recovery from that two years ago not only by the team, but also by the fanbase, was nothing short of amazing. This is not just the return of the 90s and before fans im talking about, this is also a new generation of pens fans.

oBIgzrL.png

Okay, I'm just going to gloss over this real quick because it's snowing here, I'm bored, and I just get the feeling that some people here don't know how to read.

Ze4030rosystem - You "stuck it out" when your team barely made the playoffs? THAT'S NOT STICKING IT OUT. Why don't you ask fans of the Columbus Blue Jackets what they think of you sticking it out?

You chose to become a fan when you moved to the area during one of the most successful times in the history of the franchise. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's great that you found a team to root for. But putting down other members because they will openly admit they are interested in a team when they're winning is pretty ridiculous. I think it's great that San Jose's success is translating into new hockey fans, but you're more than happy to piss all over it with "BANDWAGON SEASON" because you're so much better.

So you still don't know how to read or how to type my name correctly or for comedy's sake are mistyping it on purpose. Yeah you're right, I absolutely chose to follow the Caps when they had a "successful" 2006-07 campaign going 28-41-14 and it got even better the next year underperforming and going 6-14-1.

And excuse me for calling out a fan who has said they've gotten back into hockey because said team is at or near the top of the league; especially if it's to fill the void between two other sports (guess you missed that part). Oh no, that's not a bandwagon fan at all..

As for your tangent about Columbus, good for them to start filling seats and generating interest. It takes time for new and/or relocated franchises to develop a fan base, their talent, and also a management who knew hockey!

As far as you Weezer, I'm done squabbling with you and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you can't understand how it's ludicrous to call a fan out for bandwagoning when you've only been a fan for two and a half seasons (your profile says you're 25), nothing I will ever type is going to make any sense to you. What gives you or anyone else any right to question the reasons anyone has for following a team?

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

What gives you or anyone else any right to question the reasons anyone has for following a team?

Well put. Good thing you weren't angrily calling out someone as a bandwaggoner for no good reason, or this statement would really paint you as a raging hypocrite.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For all those wondering what Ray Emery is up to these days... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qn80QZODA_I&...ad.php?t=600321

Were they arguing because Emery didn't wanna wear the hat?

Apparently.

I heard he was doing pretty well over there, and now because he didn't want to wear a hat people are remembering the Ray Emery who is late for practice instead of the Ray Emery who went to the finals.

Hi, how are you?

What gives you or anyone else any right to question the reasons anyone has for following a team?

Well put. Good thing you weren't angrily calling out someone as a bandwaggoner for no good reason, or this statement would really paint you as a raging hypocrite.

You chose to become a fan when you moved to the area during one of the most successful times in the history of the franchise. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's great that you found a team to root for. But putting down other members because they will openly admit they are interested in a team when they're winning is pretty ridiculous.

PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE POST. ESPECIALLY THE PART WHERE I CLEARLY STATE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE BEING A BANDWAGON FAN.

-HST

You chose to become a fan when you moved to the area during one of the most successful times in the history of the franchise. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's great that you found a team to root for. But putting down other members because they will openly admit they are interested in a team when they're winning is pretty ridiculous.

PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE POST. ESPECIALLY THE PART WHERE I CLEARLY STATE I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE BEING A BANDWAGON FAN.

Wow... and you guys bitch at me when I get in debates. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

For all those wondering what Ray Emery is up to these days... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qn80QZODA_I&...ad.php?t=600321

Were they arguing because Emery didn't wanna wear the hat?

Apparently.

I heard he was doing pretty well over there, and now because he didn't want to wear a hat people are remembering the Ray Emery who is late for practice instead of the Ray Emery who went to the finals.

Emery has never been as good as his record says. How many of his wins were because of the all-star team the Senators had in 06-07?

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived