2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

Nope! People trash us Leafs fans because we stick by our team through the rough times. You will find the same with teams which are not usually successful or have not won in many generations. Those are true fans. Enduring the best of times and the worst and not being selective about when they show their team pride.

The counter to that argument, though, is that Leafs fans at the ACC are like Cubs "fans" at Wrigley: people packing the place because it's a scene and a hard ticket to get, and the results on the field/ice are secondary to the scene. There's also the argument that packing the stadium, results be damned, sends the message to management that a competitive team doesn't need to be put together - the fans will show up with open wallets, regardless. Leafs fans selling out the joint night after night for a 12th-place team is, in a way, enabling ownership to rest on its haunches, and ensure non-competitiveness for future seasons. It's probably worth noting that, within five years, the team with the longest Cup drought in the NHL will be in the city where the Cup resides for the majority of the year.

Under Ballard that is very true. Toronto was Gretzky's team of choice before he landed in LA. Ballard didn't want him because he thought there was no point taking on that contract when every seat was already filled on a nightly basis. Once again in 1996, Leafs owner Stavro didn't want to pick up Gretzky because he was seen as too expensive when the Gardens was selling out every night. Historically this has been a true trait of the Leafs. With a different ownership group (Teachers Pension Plan) and other investments (Raptors, ACC, TFC) the Leafs cannot afford to have their main bread winner lose money. The right steps have been taken to try and make the team successful again (suck as bringing in Burke and handing the coaching over to someone who has a decent, but unproven track record) not just as an attraction but as a product. The team is turning around as it has more to carry on its back compared to in the past.

And technically, the Cup doesn't reside in one spot. It is almost always on the road, unless you are talking about the one at the Hall of Fame which never leaves the place. :P

Yes the Leafs are an event, but it was bread with that intention. Conn Smythe once required patrons to come dressed in their sunday finest as he viewed it not as a game but as an event. He would even threaten to revoke season tickets if people didn't conform to this policy. Under Ballard that all changed (and as the nature of sporting events changed in general) but the idea that the Leafs are 'the thing' to go see has never really left. While the Leafs will continue to sell out for the next few years, it will take a heavy toll in the long run. Fans are generally bread when a team is successful, not when they are wallowing in the cellar. It will be hard to continue creating fans if there is nothing for people to cling on to. The biggest fear as a Toronto Star article once pointed out is the fan base is already beginning to shrink due to the increase diversity within the GTA. Other cultures bring their sports with them (soccer, cricket, etc) and hockey is widely ignored. It is also the least accessible of the sports for people to play as it is not only expensive to register for but also to buy the equipment for.

Toronto is in trouble for the future and I believe they have realized this. New management has been brought in to hopefully turn the Leafs into a franchise which is as highly regarded as the Wings, Habs and even Rangers. It is a work in progress but this is the first time there has ever been such an urgency to make this team successful once again. Who knows if this current management arrangement is the one that will be able to turn the team around but even if it isn't, the urgency and acknowledgment that something must be done will remain. Within the next decade the Leafs will once again be a model organization, even if they don't win the Cup.

This team has never before had such liabilities to answer for. The culture is changing.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Crosby/Ovechkin "face of the NHL" debate. As if there's only room for one type of personality in the sport. They are both great ambassadors who love the game, and have dedicated themselves to the league and the cities of the teams they play for. Give it a rest.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I love the Crosby/Ovechkin "face of the NHL" debate. As if there's only room for one type of personality in the sport. They are both great ambassadors who love the game, and have dedicated themselves to the league and the cities of the teams they play for. Give it a rest.

speak to the NHL Marketing Department of this wonderful revelation of yours, im sure they'd be interested to hear. *slight sarcasm*

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

speak to the NHL Marketing Department of this wonderful revelation of yours, im sure they'd be interested to hear. *slight sarcasm*

LOL.

OVECHKIN THE GREAT. Nuff said.

I was watching the AHL Skills Competition today and I found it much more exciting and the fans we're into it.

The NHL Should do everything that AHL does....

1. Bring back the Puck Control Relay

2. Fastest Skater (NHL Does)

3. Goalie Rapid Fire (Goalie stops consecutive shots by going side to side in the crease)

4. Hardest Shot (NHL Does)

5. Accuracy Shooting (NHL Does)

6. 3 on 0 Pass and Shoot (Each player has to touch the puck at least once and then shoot on the goalie)

7. Breakaway Relay (NHL Does kinda) Get rid of the NBA Slam Dunk contest moniker it's not going to work, and just have them do a normal shootout and try to score and if the players want to do something crazy to try score let them do it.

It was much more fun to watch and i'm sure the fans would love it to also listening to Pierre McGuire last night on Sportscenter he was talking about what if the NHL brought the CHL Top Prospects game to the All Star game and have it being played on the Friday night it would be a meaningful game and what better place to show it off then in an NHL rink where the fans can see the next crop of talent.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

They knew the punishment that would be given out if they didn't attend. They didn't attend, so they're getting dealt the punishment. I don't see how Holland can get anywhere with and appeal.

:censored: . This thing better be resolved with the suspensions upheld by tomorrow night. I already threw the party for those two not getting to play against the Jackets...

6fQjS3M.png

I love the thru-the-legs goal Malkin scored in the ASG, and I also loved how the announcers referred to it as a Malik goal. What was even more amusing, was that, for anyone that actually plays hockey, you could see that he basically whiffed, but it still went in. I'm sure any of you that play for real know that it is a pretty difficult move to do. I, myself, have been trying to master it for the last year or two, I have gotten pretty good at it, but I have never tried it in a game. Not even in rec league, maybe someday I will. A kid on my high school team pulled it off in our game saturday night (we were winning 8-3 at the time), then was promptly pulled so he wouldn't get drilled by the other team.

Also, in analyzing some more skill plays, when Getzlaf goes down the wing, and he does the backwards between the legs move, you know what I'm talking about I think, he just does it with so much easy. That is another difficult move, especially with people around. I rarely do it because I sometimes have to look down for a split second, so I usually save that type of stuff for practice. But Getzlaf, I have noticed, is just really good at it. He did it in the competition that Ovechkin won, then went around the net to do a Michigan. I loved that.

All of the Ovie love... I just want to kill myself.

now you know how we feel when all the NHL loves on Crosby.

Oh come on. You think he asked the NHL to shove him down everyone's throat? No. Be pissed at the NHL for promoting hom so much, not him. Whats he supposed to do, play :censored:ty so the NHL doesnt want him anymore? He just goes out there and does his thing, he doesnt ask for the attention.

And no, all of the NHL doesnt love crosby. From what ive seen, there is only one place in the NHL that likes him.

HAH!

Do you have any idea how well Crosby merchandise sells outside of Pittsburgh?

It still has to be the hottest selling stuff of any player. Ovechkin is selling a lot better now, but Crosby is still the player of choice. Take my word on this, kids and teens primarily love Crosby, but it seems that people of every age still do.

So? People hate T.O. and Ocho Cinco, yet look at how well their stuff sells.

oBIgzrL.png

Oh come on. You think he asked the NHL to shove him down everyone's throat? No. Be pissed at the NHL for promoting hom so much, not him. Whats he supposed to do, play :censored:ty so the NHL doesnt want him anymore? He just goes out there and does his thing, he doesnt ask for the attention.

And no, all of the NHL doesnt love crosby. From what ive seen, there is only one place in the NHL that likes him.

HAH!

It still has to be the hottest selling stuff of any player. Ovechkin is selling a lot better now, but Crosby is still the player of choice. Take my word on this, kids and teens primarily love Crosby, but it seems that people of every age still do.

A minority of people buy their stuff compared to the large numbers who still lap up everything Crosby. Believe what ever Pittsburgh-Centric myth you wish, I can tell you first hand that Crosby still is the hottest seller.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

HAH!

To small groups of people.

I hate Time Out (being punished; not the arcade!), Off Campus Housing Offices, and the Cinco Credit Union; so I'm baffled that people want these objects. :P

Good, Lidstrom and Datsyuk were injured, valid reasons to miss the game. This rule is beyond stupid, typical of Gary Bettman.

They knew the rules. Crosby was injured but he showed up for the off-ice activities and wasnt suspended. The whole point of the all-star game is to showcase the leagues best players to the fans. If the players refuse to show up, all this hurts is the fans, and last time I checked the NHL is still trying to draw new fans to the game.

1zqy8ok.gif

HAH!

A minority of people buy their stuff compared to the large numbers who still lap up everything Crosby. Believe what ever Pittsburgh-Centric myth you wish, I can tell you first hand that Crosby still is the hottest seller.

How the heck is it Pittsburgh-Centric to think that everyone hates a certain Pittsburgh player? And what does his stuff selling outside of Pittsburgh have to do with the rest of the NHL being sick of him?

oBIgzrL.png

Crosby stuff is the only non-Thrashers NHL gear I see in Atlanta.

I saw an emo girl with a Crosby EDGE jersey on. It was strange.

It better have been black...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Currently the standings in the western conference have spots 6 through 10 all tied with 51 points. This is going to be a crazy playoff race. Anyone of these teams could finish anywhere from 5th to 13th.

edit: I'm looking at the scores from tonight's game and one jumps out at me, Edmonton 2 Buffalo 10! What the hell, did the Oilers play without a goalie?!

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived