2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

Datsyuk and Lidstrom have been suspended 1 game for skipping out on the All-Star festivities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/allstar2009/...tory?id=3855534

While they are injured, they did play the last Detroit game and the NHL at least wanted them to show up for off-ice activities surrounding the game. They didn't and now they must sit the Red Wings first game after the break. Crosby who also withdrew from the game will not be suspended as he still went to Montreal for the off-ice stuff. The NHL put in a new policy this year that a player selected to the All-Star Game must miss either the game before or game after in order to be able to skip the festivities. This after a number of players skipped out last year.

BTW, it should be noted that All-Star participation is something that is included in the standard player contract so the NHL looks to be on solid ground with this.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this, and wish that the other top leagues would put in a similar rule. This is the one game/event where fans get to see all the top players in the sport. The least these players can do is show up, especially the NHL (whose players should be kissing as much ass as possible).

I think this is a dumb rule, the NFL, NBA, and MLB doesn't do it.

so just because the other leagues dont do it, its a dumb rule? i dunno im kinda torn on the rule myself. if youre invited to go, you should at least show up for the festivities. i realize guys fake injuries for a reason, but this is for the good of the game. but on the other hand they do have families, and may want to spend this free time with them.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I think this is a dumb rule, the NFL, NBA, and MLB doesn't do it.

Those leagues are also miles ahead of the NHL in terms of popularity, at least in the United States. I'm torn on this one too. I see why the NHL has the rule in place, and I think it's fair to suspend them since it is in the contract. But I can also see why a player wouldn't want to go to Montreal when they are not going to play when they have their only 4 or 5 day break of the season.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If he wanted to attend, just buy a ticket. Not that hard with all the money they got....

It's called a contract, which includes participation in the All-Star Game. It's their job to be there for at the very least the off-ice stuff. I can see MLB and possibly the NBA adopting a similar policy as no-show problems increase in all the sports.

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL adopt a rule, similar to the MLB's All Star Game - the side that wins, their conference gets home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals. Could add a little more excitement to the game.

Also, sorry if this has been answered, but is VS the only station that will show the All Star Game this year? Normally it's picked up by a national network, correct?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Skills Competition Competitors

Hardest Shot

Zdeno Chara 2008 Champion

Mike Komisarek

Sheldon Souray

Shea Weber

Vincent Lecavalier

Mark Streit

Fastest Skater

Brian Campbell 2008 Runner Up

Jeff Carter

Zach Parise

Jay Bouwmeester

Breakaway Trick Shot

Alex Ovechkin 2008 Champion

Alex Kovalev

Ryan Getzlaf

Patrick Kane

Shooting Accuracy

Tomas Kaberle 2008 Champion

Jarome Iginla 2002 Champion

Mike Modano

Evgeni Malkin

Jonathon Toews

Ilya Kovalchuk

Dany Heatley

Marc Savard

Elimination Shootout

The bout will feature 36 shooters versus six goaltenders, with each goal scorer moving on until there is just one skater left.

The East has been crowned champion of this SuperSkills challenge in each of the last three times the event has taken place. That includes a win in 2004 as well as 2007-08.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Suspending players for not showing up to an All Star game is a HORRIBLE and short-sighted rule. Why? Why is that not showing up to a game that doesn't count is more of a punishment than a hit from behind or a two-handed slash across the wrist? So you are telling a player that it's more important to show up for a game that no one wants to be at, and you are going to punish the team? That is stupid. This is more of Gary Bettman not getting anything! I hope the Detroit Red Wings tell their suspended players to suit up. What's Bettman going to do stand there in front of the bench and not let them out on the ice. I want to see the players and the Detroit Red Wings defy Bettman and this rule. This rule will be the end of the All Star Game as I promise you more and more players will just deny going so they won't be suspended and it will be a game of fourth line players.

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL adopt a rule, similar to the MLB's All Star Game - the side that wins, their conference gets home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals. Could add a little more excitement to the game.

Also, sorry if this has been answered, but is VS the only station that will show the All Star Game this year? Normally it's picked up by a national network, correct?

First the home ice based on All-Star game is stupid. Home ice advantage should go to the team with the best record (i.e. most points). To reward home ice based off the all-star devalues the regular season. It's one thing for baseball to do it (And I disagree with it there) because baseball has never awarded home field based on results, however home ice for the Stanley Cup has been traditionally given to the team with the best record.

Secondly, yes, Versus is the only place it is on in the US. Versus however is a national network (not a regional one). If you mean over the air network, the All-Star game hasn't been on an over the air channel since 2004.

Suspending players for not showing up to an All Star game is a HORRIBLE and short-sighted rule. Why? Why is that not showing up to a game that doesn't count is more of a punishment than a hit from behind or a two-handed slash across the wrist? So you are telling a player that it's more important to show up for a game that no one wants to be at, and you are going to punish the team? That is stupid. This is more of Gary Bettman not getting anything! I hope the Detroit Red Wings tell their suspended players to suit up. What's Bettman going to do stand there in front of the bench and not let them out on the ice. I want to see the players and the Detroit Red Wings defy Bettman and this rule. This rule will be the end of the All Star Game as I promise you more and more players will just deny going so they won't be suspended and it will be a game of fourth line players.

Technically it is not a suspension (even though I used that word), the players still receive their pay for that day. A suspension involves the loss of pay.

I don't anticipate this will be a future problem as I think players will at least make an effort to show up for the off-ice events. This has gotten out of hand int he last couple of years and the NHL hand to send a message to the players. While the All-Star game might not be the greatest event for those watching it still is an important event for the league as a business with all the sponsorship tie-ins and such. Thus it is important for the league to have the leagues best players at least in the host city even if they can't play.

Some predictions for tonight's festivities:

Hardest Shot - Sheldon Souray

Fastest Skater - Zach Parise

Breakaway Trick Shot - Alex Kovalev

Shooting Accuracy - Ilya Kovalchuk

Elimination Shootout - Reading about this on nhl.com kinda confused me, this is a competition for the shooters, right?

And by the way, Martin St. Louis is also participating in the trick shot competition.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Elimination Shootout - Reading about this on nhl.com kinda confused me, this is a competition for the shooters, right?

And by the way, Martin St. Louis is also participating in the trick shot competition.

What time is the skills competition and is it on Versus?

6fQjS3M.png

What time is the skills competition and is it on Versus?

7 Eastern and it's on Versus in the US.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yay! Skills Competition!

I still remember the Cheap Seats episode watching the skills competition.

"does St. Louis play for St. Louis?"

(Miroslov Satan is skating)"Skatin' with the Devil!"

The Montreal fans gave a good round of aplause to Vinny Lecavalier, and Marty St. Louis. That makes me happy.

But they boo the Bruins players! haha.

How many Canadiens got voted in?

Archived